Life hack [stickers!]

If you live in the US, you can probably head to your local high school today and — after you fill out some papers — they’ll give you a FREE STICKER!
The one I received is rather boring, but it has this nice feature where you can point to it and say``It wasn’t my fault’’ if the results are terrible.

12 Likes

Got my sticker today. Library a block from me had no line but was constantly busy.

6 Likes

Got mine early last week, beat the crowds.

Let’s hope…

6 Likes

Just returned. They had small stickers and big stickers, and naturally I chose the big one, but I do wish I could have had both.

6 Likes

I got one, although the poll worker seemed unhappy when I asked if we were allowed more than one sticker for some reason. :wink:

4 Likes

Do other countries give out stickers when you vote, or is it just Americans that we need to bribe to do their civic duty?

5 Likes

Belgium doesn’t give out stickers so they compensate by making voting mandatory (though iirc they stopped handing out fines).

5 Likes

I usually vote by mail these days, and previously they’d send along a sticker with the ballot so you could wear it once you’d sent yours off. But I just moved to a different county and they don’t give you the sticker here! I’m outraged and going to be writing a letter to the clerk/recorder. This will not stand!

6 Likes

Voted by mail last week. Or, technically I didn’t mail it, I put it straight into the ballot box by City Hall.

5 Likes

If you didn’t return your ballot, wouldn’t you then be in possession of a contraband fraudulent sticker? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: The security of the election could be at stake!

Perhaps if you sent your filled out ballot in with a self-addressed stamped envelope and a long exhaustive explanatory note and justification, the clerk could mail you a sticker upon receipt of your completed ballot?

6 Likes

Fortunately I live in California, not Florida, so they don’t put you in jail for that!

3 Likes

At least where I’m at in Ontario, (the Canadian one) they do provide stickers if you go down and vote.

People have to be told not to immediately snap a selfie of their ballot and sticker, though they are encouraged to take a picture of the sticker (preferably away from the voting booth and surrounding area) and post it on social media to… help drum up engagement with young people? Prevent ballots from being invalidated because people need their irresistible urge to take pictures redirected to something more productive?

It might just be a thing they tell young people, though- (I’m often mistaken for being a teenager) though from what I’ve seen, it actually does make the rounds and encourage classmates I have on Instagram to go out and vote, since sometimes it’s easy to forget about local elections and that sort of thing until someone on your feed is like HEY! FREE STICKERS!

They also did a similar thing with the first few rushes of vaccination around my area? But I was very sad when they didn’t hand them out in subsequent ones, haha.

5 Likes

Same here. I for one certainly wouldn’t have gotten my 3rd and 4th booster shots had I known all I’d get is some crummy life-saving protection from a virus instead of that and a sticker.

6 Likes

They also let me keep the neat stylus pen!

3 Likes

But won’t someone think of the taxpayers!?

children

1 Like

Oh, I’m fully vaccinated!

It was a madhouse for awhile trying to get them- (lots of sporadic pop up events in community lots that were badly advertised, hoping other people would cancel their appointments at pharmacies and trying to slide in at odd hours- I eventually ended up going to the posher grocery store and walking over to their pharmacy because I figured their usual clientele wouldn’t be as interested (and I was right!), as well as having some luck with crunchy granola moms cancelling their kids’ appointments once it was announced classes would be returning to person(?!?) since I apparently fall under the low-risk category despite recurrent lung problems, it’s I think an age thing-) but I would have really liked a sticker, LOL.

The pharmacist was quite nice about giving me an extra bandaid for the road, (because of my hemophilia, I bleed from injection sites for ~24 hours afterwards) which was cool too. :slight_smile: Poor guy seemed exhausted, though.

3 Likes

Do they need me to write something or select an option on their tablet with my fabulous free taxpayer-bought stylus pen?

5 Likes

went last week. after waiting for hours in 2000, I always go early

3 Likes

I got not one but two stickers! Though the big one I had to order in advance.

3 Likes

I have seen a bunch of middle-aged teachers go to the mat for a chance to win a Hello Kitty eraser. It does not matter how old you are-- people will continue to do anything for a small prize.

4 Likes