Let’s play: Hadean Lands

There are three things that I would argue are necessary to make not just a good work of Interactive Fiction, but a truly exquisite one that will go down in legend:

1. The story has to bee engaging, thoughtful, and parceled out in sizable snippets, bit by bit, drawing the reader deeper and deeper into the game-world.
  2. The puzzles need to be…well, a lot of things. Numerous without drowning the reader, tough without forcing the reader to tear their hair out with rage, and meshed within the story so as to feel like your doing something that advances you closer to your goal(s) without feeling like a series of arbitrary challenges.
  3. The implementation. I’m a programmer so I understand how aggravating it can be when aiming to complete a large project, knowing how much work you have to put into the damn thing to make it work. It gets exponentially harder with IF, as you have to account for as many player actions as possible. The games I consider masterpieces do this and more. Compensating for as many variations as possible, implementing otherwise pointless objects like scenery just to give players a more satisfying experience, (to make the game-world feel real), and, of course, minimizing those pesky bugs.

So why this little rant of mine?
I came across a game that fits my definition of a masterpiece, bought it, started playing with anticipation…and, well, got stuck. I speak, of course, of Andrew Plotkin’s Hadean Lands, a game that deserves all the hype it’s gotten. From what I saw of it before I stopped playing, the concept was really well done. I cannot imagine the work it took to implement both the alchemy and the system that replayed various sections of the game for you once the character had memorized the steps required to complete various tasks. The alchemy, especially, is so well thought out that you can even create your own rituals, to an extent, just by understanding the rules and limitations that are allowed.
So why did I drop this game?
Well, it was simple, I jumped right into it, started playing with random things, didn’t try to understand anything I was doing, got absolutely lost, and mildly overwhelmed. In other words, I wasn’t in the right headspace to play that and I decided to come back to it when I had more time to sit down and play it through properly.
That time has finally come, and after enjoying the LPs of Cragne Manor and Jigsaw, I figured it would be amusing to display my fumbling to as many people as possible. I welcome any comments or advice on this, and hopefully I should have the transcript of my first session out sometime this weekend.

12 Likes

Oh, looking forward to this! Hadean Lands is one of my all-time favorite pieces of puzzley IF, and approaching it slowly and mindfully I think makes it more fun, so this thread will hopefully help with that.

4 Likes

One very important question, should I prepare for any monsters attacking me from the plumbing? It’s important to know these things and be prepared, y’know?

3 Likes

Well, there are no invertebrate horses that will come after you in a bathroom – that’s all I’ll say.

7 Likes

I have had Hadean Lands for quite some time. I hope to tag along and finally start playing it seriously.

I have set this thread to Watching. Now the anticipation.

4 Likes

I am in. I will try to play along with you.

5 Likes

Okay, I’m not sure I have the time right now, but I could use this. I’ve started Hadean Lands at least three times, and every time I have some quick successes in solving (good) puzzles… and then I get absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of items I’m carrying, and I sort of quietly tiptoe away.

5 Likes

That’s what happened to me the first time, I got through the fire door, ran around collecting items, looked at my massive inventory, and my massive list of memories, and then went, yeah, no, next time. And some good news, part one, which consists of the first four rooms, excluding hallways, should come out tomorrow, I just need to shorten the transcript, cut out redundant parts, insert, sarcastic comments, and I should be done.

3 Likes

I am going to start again this evening. I always start and then get brain fogged.

1 Like

A necessary part of any Let’s Play!

This isn’t really a spoiler, more a framework for how to approach the game that’s maybe a bit less overwhelming, but I’ll put it behind a details-tag all the same:

One way to think about HL

In a lot of IF, when you run into a puzzle you look over your inventory because that’s your primary toolkit of puzzle-solving resources. That mindset is a bad fit for Hadean Lands, though, because you have such a giant inventory and most items don’t directly solve puzzles. Instead, the spells/rituals are your primary puzzle-solving resources – so if you have a good mental handle on those, but only a fuzzy sense of what all kit you’re carrying around and what it’s good for, that’s actually a fine place to be. The typical puzzle-solving cycle is to confront a problem, realize “oh, this ritual could maybe solve this,” and only then look at your inventory to see if you’ve got the stuff needed to complete the ritual, which feels much less challenging I think!

Of course, there are some puzzles that are more traditional use-object-on-obstacle things, but there’s usually a pretty clear signposting of items that are ingredients and items that are useful in themselves. And eventually, fine-grained inventory management becomes important. But in the early stages, this more relaxed approach can serve to get the player over the sometimes-forbidding barriers to entry.

5 Likes

The bug that prevents screen readers from viewing blurred messages is still there, so… I can’t actually view that🤣

2 Likes

That is a lot of insight into the game. Thanks

2 Likes

Ugh, sorry, thought I saw that that had been fixed – I think the “details” format works with screen readers though, right? I’ll make an edit.

3 Likes

The way I’d put it is: you’ll want to use the DOORS and RITUALS commands more often than INVENTORY.

5 Likes

And so we begin.
Part I:

“And the moon is of lightly moving, and the moon is planet of way;
and for that skill it giveth us will of kind for to move lightly and for to go divers ways,
and to seek strange things and other diversities of the world;
for the moon environeth the earth more hastily than any other planet.”
– The Travels of Sir John Mandeville
{Fancy Quote.}
*** You have awakened ***
[Have you played interactive fiction before?]

y
[Great! If you need a refresher, flip to the Help tab. On with the show.]
You smell copal incense, machine oil, rosemary, alcohol, and blood.
{Pleasant.}
Creaking, bending steel
beams… no, that’s not an odor. Why did you think the bulkheads were crumpling in on you?
What would that even smell like?
You’re pretty sure it’s not your own blood, anyway.
{Pretty Sure?}
The secondary alchemy lab is your duty station this shift; where you were, before – before now.
Before you woke up on the floor. Smelling copal, oil, rosemary, and – well, alcohol is right. You
were scrubbing the workbench. Enjoying your shift, swabbie? Not any more, Sarge.
The lamps shouldn’t be flickering like that. And His Majesty’s Marcher The Unanswerable Retort
really, really shouldn’t be this quiet.
Hadean Lands
Overdue Interactive Fiction by Andrew Plotkin
Copyright (c) 2014 by Andrew Plotkin
Release 4 / Serial number 141017 / Inform 7 build 6G60 (I6/v6.33)
Secondary Alchemy Lab
The lab is unsettlingly dim, but familiar enough: rough wooden walls, the broad stone surface of
the workbench. The lab door is to the north; it’s closed.
To the east is the lab’s supply closet. Except… the entire east side of the room is filled with clear
crystal. That’s not so familiar. That’s downright strange.
You notice a heap of alchemical supplies piled on a table. Next to the table, an iron panel is set
in the floor.
{Time to break the X key on my keyboard.}
x me
Not the most promising Ensign in His Majesty’s Navy.
{Thanks for the vote of confidence, game.}
i
You are carrying nothing.
x crack
It’s not crystal. It’s more as if the air has cracked, right across the room, leaving a plane of
cleavage which is visible only in refraction.
x hatch
You’ve seen the iron panel before, of course. It’s some kind of service hatch. But it’s apparently
been shut since forever and a quarter. It’s faintly rusty around all its edges, and the steel bolts
that hold it down are worse.
x door
The door is closed.
{I figured.}
x bench
The workbench is a broad slab of bluestone, chipped and scarred. A bound is incised in its
surface – the circular arc that contains and constrains works of alchemy.
The workbench bound is empty.
You notice a worn steel bolt lying under the workbench.
x table
Lying on the flimsy table are a sheet of instructions, a sprig of rosemary, two impets of essential
oil (peppermint and ginger), a pair of tarnished calipers, and a brass pin.
x pin
It’s a short, straight bit of brass, no longer than your thumb-joint.
x calipers
These are standard Naval chart calipers; you see the astrographers using them every time you
walk past the tower. But the brass is badly tarnished, particularly around the hinge.
x rosemary
It’s a long twig of pale green rosemary needles.
x mint
It’s a standard Navy alchemical aromatic impet, designed to fill a lab with odor without spilling
essential oils all over the place. The peppermint impet is closed.
x ginger
It’s a standard Navy alchemical aromatic impet, designed to fill a lab with odor without spilling
essential oils all over the place. The ginger impet is closed.
x bolt
A single steel bolt, somewhat worn in the thread.
{Lots of fancy toys…I mean ingredients to play with here.}
x paper
You pick up the sheet, and find Sergeant Brooks’ familiar scrawl. “Ensign Forsyth: When you’re
finished scrubbing, get these calipers freshened up. You should be able to handle the ritual. See
me afterwards.”
The other side is printed in the familiar smudgy blackletter of Navy receipts.
“FOR THE
CLEANSING OF BRASS TARNISH: Prepare an atmosphere of fiery principles. Place a brass
token within the bound, and seal it. Speak a word of essential nature, so that the properties of
brass may be evoked. Compound the atmosphere with a resinous note. Then intone the Lesser
Phlogistical Saturation to complete the token’s investment. Place token directly on tarnished
item.”
The syllables of the Saturation formula are spelled out below. And scrawled beneath that:
"Resinous note – wave the rosemary, swabbie."You memorize the instructions, including the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation. You also pick up the
sheet. Just in case.
[To list what you’ve memorized, type “RECALL” or “REMEMBER”.]
{Or I could just switch tabs to the handy journal interface but that won’t show up in the transcript, sadly.}
take all
steel bolt: You reach down and pluck the bolt from the floor.
sprig of rosemary: Taken.
impet of peppermint oil: Taken.
impet of ginger oil: Taken.
tarnished calipers: Taken.
brass pin: Taken.
recall
You have learned one ritual: (* marks rituals you have not yet completed)
• basic tarnish cleansing inscription (*)
After months of diligent practice, you have memorized several common alchemical formulae:
• the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation
• an elementary word of binding
• a word of essential nature
• a simple sealing word
• an unsealing mantra
You have picked up assorted facts:
• the work assignment
• the resinous note
• a lecture on aromas
{Yes, I’m gonna go through all of these.}
recall aromas
You dimly recall taking notes on the uses of aroma in alchemy. Perfumes influence a ritual by
adding elemental principles of the atmosphere. You might open an impet of ginger essence for a
fiery ritual, or mint essence for a cooling effect. Citronelle is strengthening, seaweed has…
something to do with breath… it was a tedious lecture.
recall resinous
The Sergeant left you a scrawled note along with the tarnish recipe: “Resinous note – wave the
rosemary, swabbie.”
recall assignment
“Ensign Forsyth: When you’re finished scrubbing, get these calipers freshened up. You should
be able to handle the ritual. See me afterwards.”
recall cleaning
“FOR THE CLEANSING OF BRASS TARNISH: Prepare an atmosphere of fiery principles.
Place a brass token within the bound, and seal it. Speak a word of essential nature, so that the
properties of brass may be evoked. Compound the atmosphere with a resinous note. Then
intone the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation to complete the token’s investment. Place token
directly on tarnished item.”
recall mantra
The unsealing mantra isn’t an alchemical formula. It’s just a way to divert your mind from a ritual
in progress, breaking open the bound and dissipating any energies.
recall sealing
The simple sealing word creates a boundary circle around a ritual space. Most alchemical
procedures begin with a sealing word.
recall lesser
The Lesser Phlogistical Saturation is a knot of breathy syllables. It has to do with reversing
processes of tarnish and rust.
recall essential nature
The word of essential nature is used in rituals to invoke the principle of sympathy.
{I hope you were taking notes on all that.}
smell
You smell the usual mixture of alchemical reagents – mostly rosemary and copal – over a reek
of spilled alcohol. The undertone of blood has faded.
{That’s good, I think?}
smell rosemary
The sprig retains its piney, resinous scent.
smell ginger
The impet has no residual odor while it’s sealed.
{I probably should’ve known that.}
open it
You pop open the impet, and the ginger aroma rolls out, stinging your nose.
smell it
You take a snort from the impet. Ginger fire flares in your sinuses. That’ll clear your head,
possibly for the rest of the week.
smell
You smell the usual mixture of alchemical reagents. The air is overlaid with a strong aroma of
ginger.
open peppermint
You pop open the impet, and the peppermint aroma rolls out, making your nose ache.
The new aroma clashes unpleasantly with the ginger.
smell it
You take a snort from the impet. The intense peppermint aroma makes your head hurt.
smell
The air is a jarring mix of aromas.
close ginger
You snap the ginger impet closed. Its aroma fades.
The mix of aromas clarifies, leaving the room smelling of peppermint.
smell
You smell the usual mixture of alchemical reagents. The air is overlaid with a strong aroma of
peppermint.
close mint
You snap the peppermint impet closed. Its aroma fades.
{Now that we got high on essential oils, let’s see if we can complete this ritual. Can’t disappoint the Sarge, after all.}
open ginger
{Fiery aroma, check.}
put pin in bound
You put the brass pin into the workbench bound.
speak sealing
You take a breath, trace the bound in your mind, and intone the simple sealing word.
The arc begins to glow orange around the brass pin.
{The color seems to change based off of the atmosphere and the type of seal used but I haven’t figured out the pattern.}
speak essential
You intone the word of essential nature. The metallic nature of the brass pin rises to the surface.
{I’m trying to picture what this would look like.}
wave rosemary
You wave the sprig, and inhale its fresh, resinous aroma. The fiery reek of ginger seems to shift
to a cleaner, more gentle scent.
speak lesser
You begin the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation. The sounds try to bend and smear on your lips,
but you are on your guard, and you hold clearly to the formula.
The energy slowly converges. The orange light flares, drawing together the blended aromas and
the words that you speak.
When the light fades, a symbol shines on the surface of the brass pin.
{That was surprisingly easy.}
take pin
You pick up the brass pin, careful of its inscribed basic saturation symbol.
x symbol
The brass pin is charged with the alchemical sign for basic phlogistical saturation. When you
touch it to something, the symbol will discharge.
touch symbol
You experimentally press the basic saturation symbol against your own skin. Nothing happens,
however. (If you were made of brass, the effect would no doubt have been salutary, or perhaps
fatal.)
put pin on calipers
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the calipers. With a loud crackle, the
symbol discharges. Sparks dance over the calipers; the tarnished brass flakes and vibrates.
Within moments, the calipers are gleaming brightly. The alchemical energies fade, leaving a
perfectly polished instrument.
Take that, Sarge, you think, with some smugness.
{Do I get a cookie?}
x calipers
These are standard Naval chart calipers; you see the astrographers using them every time you
walk past the tower. The brass gleams.
perform tarnish
You conjure a basic saturation symbol onto the brass pin.
put pin on calipers
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the calipers. The symbol discharges with a
faint pop. The calipers seem to glint even more brightly than before, but it’s probably your
imagination.
{It was worth a try.}
close ginger
{Wonder what would happen if I swapped the atmosphere?
open mint
You pop open the impet, and the peppermint aroma rolls out, making your nose ache.
put pin in bound
You put the brass pin into the workbench bound.
speak sealing
You take a breath, trace the bound in your mind, and intone the simple sealing word.
The arc begins to glow blue-white around the brass pin.
speak essential
You intone the word of essential nature. The metallic nature of the brass pin rises to the surface,
though with an indistinct shimmer.
wave rosemary
You wave the sprig, and inhale its distinct resinous aroma. The icy smell of peppermint seems to
gain a more complex herbal note.
speak lesser
You begin the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation. The sounds try to bend and smear on your lips,
but you are on your guard, and you hold clearly to the formula. Nonetheless, something must be
wrong; the words seem to fall flat.
{Oh well.}
close mint
You snap the peppermint impet closed. Its aroma fades.
take pin
You reach into the workbench bound and extract the brass pin. The blue-white light ripples.
speak mantra
You let the unsealing mantra run through your mind, clearing away the ritual energy. The bound
goes dark.
{Let’s see about this fracture.}
e
You try to push through the fracture, but the surface is impenetrable. The east side of the room
– and the supply closet – are inaccessible.
x closet
You can’t see well into the supply closet – not through this fracture in the air.
{The door?}
n
You pull the door open. Then you nearly fall down, so sharp is your disorientation. Only your grip
on the door convinces you that you are still standing upright.
A Hadean land lies outside the lab door.
I’m sure this wasn’t in the regs. The east-side corridor is missing. Or most of it is missing. A foot
or so of ordinary tile floor is at your feet; but beyond that, the corridor is cut away as if by a knife.
Beyond is a barren grey wasteland – a Hadean land, deadly to any breathing life. Unweathered
grey rocks and dead dust rest under bright, unwinking stars.
{…Damn}
x land
Most Hadean lands look alike – dead rocks, night sky – and you can tell nothing about this one,
except that it very definitely shouldn’t be where the Retort’s east-side corridor usually is.
x crack
The fracture looks like the surface of faintly-warped crystal… although you cannot truly tell
whether you are looking into it, or out of it. The far side of the room distorts slightly as you shift
your position.
{Ok, so not only can we not go out that way, it’ll probably be instant death.}
d
(first opening the iron panel)
You twist at the steel bolts, but they’re rusty and they probably haven’t turned since the Retort
was built. The panel isn’t moving anywhere.
{Seriously?}
kick hatch
[That’s not an action I understand.]
hit hatch
You see no reason to start a fight with the iron panel.
{Besides trying to get out?}
hit crack
The fracture feels like slick, hard air.
smell it
The fracture is odorless.
taste it
The fracture is as tasteless as glass.
{Delicious.}
taste hatch
You taste nothing unexpected.
smell me
You smell nothing unexpected.
shit
xyzzy
{Ok, enough fooling around, limited resources and the fact that I’ve done this already tells me what we need to do.}
put bolt in bound
You put the steel bolt into the workbench bound.
open ginger
speak simple
The arc begins to glow orange around the steel bolt.
speak essential
You intone the word of essential nature. The metallic nature of the steel bolt rises to the surface.
wave rosemary
You wave the sprig, and inhale its fresh, resinous aroma. The fiery reek of ginger seems to shift
to a cleaner, more gentle scent.
speak lesser
but you are on your guard, and you hold clearly to the formula.The energy slowly converges. The orange light flares, drawing together the blended aromas and
the words that you speak.
When the light fades, a symbol shines on the surface of the steel bolt.
take bolt
You pick up the steel bolt, careful of its inscribed basic saturation symbol.
put it on hatch
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the steel bolts. The symbol discharges with
a loud, crackling buzz. Sparks fly across the surface of the iron panel, and the bolt-heads rattle
as their rust sublimes away.
The display of alchemical energies slowly dies away, leaving the hatch and its bolts bright and
clean.
x hatch
You’ve seen the iron panel before, of course. It’s some kind of service hatch. You’ve never seen
it open, but the bolts are now sparkling-clean.
d
You drop through the hatch into the crawlspace below.
Secondary Lab Crawlspace
You are in a low, dimly lit corridor that runs from east to west. A hatch by your (ducked) head
opens to the laboratory above.
To the east, the crawlspace is interrupted by another fracture – or perhaps the same one you
saw in the lab. But this is different: you can see a figure caught behind the fracture. You peer
closer in the gloom…
That’s Lieutenant Anderes, apparently frozen mid-step. What’s she doing down here? And why
is she carrying an alchemical reagent jar?
A chymic flask rests nearby; it reeks of rubbing alcohol.
{BINGO!}
x anderes
Jana Anderes is a pinch-faced lieutenant in the Lumber Department – or, as it’s officially named,
Stores and Supply. You’ve occasionally dealt with her when you’re sent to fetch this or that from
the marcher’s storerooms. Now she’s sneaking around in the crawlways… or she would be, if she weren’t frozen in a
fracture. Escaping, like you, from the Retort’s catastrophe? But her attitude is somehow furtive,
rather than uncertain.
{I get the feeling we got along great.}
Anderes is carrying a reagent jar. You can’t make out its label, however.
x jar
Anderes is carrying an alchemist’s jar. Not an ordinary flask, like the ones you use every day,
but a full-size reagent jar from stores. Why…? Unfortunately, the way she’s holding it, you can’t
see the label or the contents.
x crack
It looks just like the fractures in the lab above: a plane of cleavage, cracked through the air,
blocking the crawlway to the east.
e
You try to push through the fracture, but the surface is impenetrable.
take all
flask of rubbing alcohol: Taken.
x flask
You are tediously familiar with this alcohol solution; you’ve scrubbed enough things with it.
{I need a drink.}
drink it
It’s not the drinkable sort of alcohol. It’s the cleaning sort, and, if you’re too stupid to read labels,
the puking and going-blind sort.
{We’re not a heavy drinker, I see.}
w
Mech Lab Crawlspace
The crawlspace runs west and east from here. There’s another closed hatch above you. It’s
even rustier than the last one.
To the south, a few steps lead down to a dark doorway.
s
You step through the doorway, feeling blindly downward with your foot for the invisible floor…
Void
Something is wrong. Something is missing.
You are adrift, without referents. You never found the floor. You can’t remember where it was
supposed to be.
Something is drawing you in.
*** You awaken again ***
{Here we go again.}
Secondary Alchemy Lab
The lab is unsettlingly dim, but familiar – in fact, exactly as it was before: rough wooden walls,
the broad stone surface of the workbench. The lab door is to the north; it’s closed.
Some kind of fracture still blocks the east side of the room from you.
On a side table, you see a sheet of instructions, a sprig of rosemary, two impets of essential oil
(peppermint and ginger), a pair of tarnished calipers, and a brass pin. Next to the table, an iron
panel is set in the floor.
A worn steel bolt is lying half-hidden under the workbench.
…You fight off deja vu. Everything is back as it was when you first awakened in the lab. The
hatch is rusted shut, the supplies on the table are untouched. What in the name of… what has
just happened?
take all
steel bolt: You reach down and pluck the bolt from the floor.
sprig of rosemary: Taken.
impet of peppermint oil: Taken.
impet of ginger oil: Taken.
tarnished calipers: Taken.
brass pin: Taken.
x paper
The paper contains the basic tarnish cleansing inscription (with the brass pin), the Lesser
Phlogistical Saturation, the resinous note, and the work assignment, all of which you already
know. You pick up the sheet. Just in case.
{All our memories intact and we get dumped back at the beginning. This totally isn’t going to complicate things at all.}
d
You conjure a basic saturation symbol onto the steel bolt.
You lay the steel bolt on the hatch.
You pull the hatch open.
{Wonder what this would look like on a larger scale.}
You drop through the hatch into the crawlspace below.Secondary Lab Crawlspace
You are in a low, dimly lit corridor that runs from east to west. A hatch by your (ducked) head
opens to the laboratory above.
To the east, the crawlspace is interrupted by another fracture – or perhaps the same one you
saw in the lab. But this is different; you can see Lieutenant Anderes caught behind the fracture,
holding a reagent jar.
A chymic flask rests nearby; it reeks of rubbing alcohol.
take flask
Taken.
{Let’s do this real quick.}
perform tarnish
You make your way to the Secondary Alchemy Lab.
(You are now in the Secondary Alchemy Lab.)
put pin on calipers
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the calipers. With a loud crackle, the
symbol discharges. Sparks dance over the calipers; the tarnished brass flakes and vibrates.
Within moments, the calipers are gleaming brightly. The alchemical energies fade, leaving a
perfectly polished instrument.
Take that, Sarge, you think, with some smugness.
d
w
Mech Lab Crawlspace
The crawlspace runs west and east from here. There’s another closed hatch above you. It’s
even rustier than the last one.To the south, a few steps lead down to a dark doorway.
x hatch
It’s another service hatch, leading to another lab. But if the last hatch was rusty, this one is a
disaster – the bolts are indistinct lumps of corrosion.
If you have your bearings right, the Mechanica Lab is above you.
u
This hatch is even rustier than the first one. The bolts won’t turn at all.
{It worked last time…}
perform rust
You make your way to the Secondary Alchemy Lab.
(You are now in the Secondary Alchemy Lab.)
d
w
Mech Lab Crawlspace
put bolt on hatch
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the iron panel. The symbol discharges with
a muted buzzing sound. Sparks fly from the bolts, and a bit of rust sifts down, but the charge
doesn’t seem to be sufficient this time. This hatch is going to require something stronger.
{…Shit.}
w
Crawlspace Bend
The crawlway bends here, running from east to north. Another hatch is set into the floor; this
one is already open.
A moldy sheet of paper is lying here. It looks like another alchemical recipe.
take paper
(the moldy sheet)
“REDOUBLED TARNISH CLEANSING: Deeply corroded metal may not yield to the basic
tarnish removal ritual. In such cases, one must locate a more potent resinous element. Rather
than the common rosemary or lavender twig, try a branch or cone from an evergreen tree. It
may be necessary to crush the element to release its full effect.”
You memorize the instructions, and also add the sheet to your bundle of paper.
{Wonder where we can find that?}
d
You climb down through the hatch.
Herbarium Nook
You are in the Retort’s herb-house. (Odd to reach it from the sub-basement; you usually come
here through the upper laboratory floor. But that’s a marcher for you.) A short ladder leads up to
the ceiling hatch through which you entered.
You seem to be trapped in the east corner of the greenhouse. The main space, with its trays of
sun-lit herbs and vines, is blocked off by another fracture. Only a few bits of herbage remain
within reach.
A shelf holds a small bin labelled “mustard seed”. Next to the bin are a pinecone, a dried
mushroom, and a sprig of honeysuckle.
You notice a few orange threads lying in a crack in the floor.
x threads
These look like – yes – it’s a small quantity of orange zafranum, an extraordinarily expensive
spice. Whoever spilled this was very careless.
x honeysuckle
It’s a sprig of dried, pale yellow honeysuckle flowers.
x cone
This cone was collected from the rare bristlecone pine. It’s rather old and dusty.
x mushroom
A shrivelly dry brown mushroom. You have no idea what species – one dried mushroom looks a
lot like another.
x seed
A small bin of mustard seeds rests on the shelf.
take all
pinch of zafranum: You gather up the orange threads.
pinecone: Taken.
dried mushroom: Taken.
sprig of honeysuckle: Taken.
take seed
You take a pinch of mustard seed from the bin.
smell it
The mustard seed doesn’t have much aroma.
taste it
You select a mustard seed and pop it into your mouth. It’s got some sting to it.
smell mushroom
It smells like musty dirt.
taste it
There’s no reason for an arbitrary mushroom in the alchemical stores to be poisonous, but
you’re just nervous enough to skip trying.
x threads
A few threads of rare orange zafranum. The spice is used in a few obscure rituals – and
expensive dishes.
smell it
The zafranum has a powerful, pungent aroma.
taste it
The zafranum would certainly taste good, but you’re not sure where you could find any more. So
you’d better not.
x honeysuckle
It’s a sprig of dried, pale yellow honeysuckle flowers.
smell it
The honeysuckle retains a bit of its sweet aroma.>taste it
You pull off a dried honeysuckle petal and chew meditatively. It’s more bitter than you expected.
smell cone
The cone has a faint resinous aroma.
smell it
The cone has a faint resinous aroma.
taste it
You taste nothing unexpected.
x crack
Like the other fractures you’ve found, this looks like a faintly-distorting crack in the air.
w
You try to push through the fracture, but the surface is impenetrable.
{Lots the sniffing, chewing, and examining done here. Time for more exploring.}
u
n
Chem Lab Crawlspace
The crawlspace ends here. The only way back is to the south. You’re pretty sure that you’re
under the Chymic Lab now.
You see one last hatch in the ceiling. This one is not rusted in the slightest. In fact, it looks like
someone recently oiled it. Unfortunately, whoever it was also affixed a heavy brass lock.
Another stray flask is sitting on the ground. This one is labelled “lubanja”.
x flask
(the flask of rubbing alcohol)
You are tediously familiar with this alcohol solution; you’ve scrubbed enough things with it.
{Cragne Manor vibes, much?}
take flask
(the flask of lubanja)
Taken.
x it
Lubanja, or Java spirit, is an essence distilled from the resin of certain Indonesian trees. It is an
excellent solvent of substances which resist water.
drink it
Don’t eat the chymical substances. You don’t know where they’ve been, but you do have a good
idea what they’ll do to your insides.
x hatch
The brass lock is a common planetary combination affair. It’s jammed through a hole drilled in
the hatch coaming, though, and that can’t possibly be Service standard. Somebody added this,
and fairly recently, it appears.
x lock
The brass lock is a common planetary combination affair. It’s jammed through a hole drilled in
the hatch coaming, though, and that can’t possibly be Service standard. Somebody added this,
and fairly recently, it appears.
set it to pluto
This is a cheap lock, with only the eight old-fashioned astrological planets. (Of course really new
locks wouldn’t have Pluto either, not since the Imperial Society got through with it. But really new
locks wouldn’t be cheap eight-setting models anyhow.)
{I legit thought this game was ten years older than it actually is.}
set it to io
The lock has no “io” setting.
set it to ceres
The lock has no “ceres” setting.
{Cheapskates!}
hit it
You see no reason to start a fight with the iron panel.
s
e
e
u
{I’m gonna try using the go to/find commands because I really don’t want to wander from room to room and chop it all out of the transcript afterward.}
smell
You smell the usual mixture of alchemical reagents – mostly rosemary and copal – over a reek
of spilled alcohol.
open ginger
put bolt in bound
You put the steel bolt into the workbench bound.
speak simple
The arc begins to glow orange around the steel bolt.
speak essential
You intone the word of essential nature. The metallic nature of the steel bolt rises to the surface.
{Moment of Truth.}
crush cone
The old pinecone crumbles into dusty flakes, which sift from your fingers. A blade-sharp,
resinous aroma bursts into the air. The fiery reek of ginger goes clean and harsh with it.
speak lesser
You begin the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation. It’s harder this time – more intense – but you hold
clearly to the formula.
The energy pulses and converges. The orange light goes blinding-bright, drawing together the
blended aromas and the words that you speak.
When the light fades, a symbol shines on the surface of the steel bolt.
{You better be watching this, Sarge!}
take bolt
You pick up the steel bolt, careful of its inscribed redoubled saturation symbol.
x symbol
The steel bolt is charged with the alchemical sign for redoubled phlogistical saturation. When
you touch it to something, the symbol will discharge.
d
w
put bolt on door
You carefully lay the redoubled saturation symbol against the doorway. Nothing happens; the
symbol does not discharge.
x door
The doorway is dark. Very dark. Pitch-dark. The crawlspace is poorly-lit, but beyond the
doorway no light seems to fall at all.
{…I meant the hatch but I did forget to examine this.}
put bolt on hatch
You carefully lay the redoubled saturation symbol against the iron panel. The symbol
discharges. Orange sparks crackle everywhere, nearly singeing your fingers. For a moment you
think this inscription will fail as well – but rust rains down, and the bolts slowly emerge from their
corrosion. By the time the energy has cleared, the hatch is as good as new.
u
{I appologize for any formatting issues.}

1 Like

Mechanica Lab
This workshop features two of the more mundane devices of the alchemist’s life: a
hand-cranked wire-drawer, and the wire-splicer wheel.
The lab door is to the north, but it’s crusted over with some horrible-looking mold. (What’s
happened here?) The crawlway hatch is open. You also see a small storeroom to the west.
An extremely corroded cabinet is fastened to the wall. It is closed.
To one side, some supplies are lying on a counter: two metal rods (platinum and nickel), an iron
bead, and a lump of rock salt.
Something glitters on the floor. It looks like a circle of fine glass thread.
{Oh, so many toys to play with.}

x glass
A circular thread of clear glass; it’s about an inch across. This sort of glass loop can be used as
the basis for various optickal viewing devices.
l in it
You peer through the glass loop. Nothing looks any different.
x salt
It’s a pale, grainy lump of rock salt, the size of your fist.
x bead
A bead of ordinary iron.
x nickel
A small rod of nickel, a pale-gold metal.
x platinum
A small rod of heavy, silvery platinum metal.
x door
A lumpy, greenish-grey swath is crusted down the wall and across the door. It looks like some
kind of mold. You have no idea what could have caused such a growth in a well-maintained
marcher… but this room doesn’t look so well-maintained as it did yesterday.
x mold
A lumpy, greenish-grey swath is crusted down the wall and across the door. It looks like some
kind of mold. You have no idea what could have caused such a growth in a well-maintained
marcher… but this room doesn’t look so well-maintained as it did yesterday.
x cabinet
The cabinet looks strangely dingy; the metal surface is pitted, and the hinges are a swollen
mass of corrosion. Very strange. The cabinet was fine yesterday, and you’d have bet that it was
rust-proof to begin with. Half the marcher’s fittings are made from this alloy.
{Ok, seriously, what the hell is going on? The weird cracks, the rust and ceroded metal, that tasty-looking fungus…}
take all
glass loop: Taken.
platinum rod: Taken.
nickel rod: Taken.
iron bead: Taken.
lump of rock salt: Taken.
x wheel
The wire-splicer – affectionately known to the apprentice crew as the Rumpelstiltskin wheel –
sports a pair of tiny holes beneath a fearsome array of reels and gears. You feed in two lengths
of metal wire, and it folds them together – then folds them again and again, until the metals
have blended into a uniform alloy. (Turning the wheel is a tedious chore, but it’s easier than
messing around with furnaces and crucibles.)
x drawer
Not a drawer full of wire, but a wire-drawer. It’s a simple mechanical contrivance for turning
metal rods into wire. You drop your rod into the groove, and then start turning the crank – or
more accurately, leaning all your weight on the crank. With sufficient effort, the metal is forced
through a set of rollers and dies, and reduced to wire.
{I wonder…}
save
Ok.
put platinum, nickel in drawer
platinum rod: You slide the platinum rod into the groove, ready to be drawn into the device.nickel rod: The platinum rod is already in the groove, and there’s only enough room for one
such.
turn handle
You can’t see any such thing.
o crank
You begin hauling on the crank, and the platinum rod is slowly drawn into the device. Soon wire
begins spooling out onto the counter.
After several minutes of sweat, sore hands, and metallic creaking noises, the rod is entirely
consumed. The platinum wire falls free, into a loose coil.
take wire
Taken.
x it
Platinum metal wire.
put nickel in drawer
You slide the nickel rod into the groove, ready to be drawn into the device.
turn crank
You begin hauling on the crank, and the nickel rod is slowly drawn into the device. It’s terrible
work – nickel isn’t a soft metal – but you throw your weight on it, and soon wire begins spooling
out onto the counter.
After several minutes of sweat, sore hands, and metallic creaking noises, the rod is entirely
consumed. The nickel wire falls free, into a loose coil.
take wire
(the length of nickel wire)
Taken.
put it in wheel
You feed the nickel wire’s end into one of the holes.
put platinum in wheel
You feed the platinum wire’s end into one of the holes.
{Wonder what this’ll make?}
turn wheel
You begin turning the wheel, and the platinum and nickel wires are pulled into the splicer. Back
and forth they are folded, in thinner and thinner layers, as you turn the wheel.
Unfortunately, the metals don’t seem to be alloyable. Instead of fusing, the layers split apart,
splaying into fine flakes of metal that sift down from the splicer’s gears. When you finish turning
the wheel, both lengths of wire have been entirely ground away.
{…Ok, maybe that wasn’t the greatest idea.}
smell salt
You smell nothing unexpected.
eat it
You nibble a bit. Yes, it’s salt.
restore
Ok.
smell mold
The door smells faintly musty.
eat it
That’s plainly inedible.
taste it
The door tastes faintly musty. (You hope that wasn’t a bad idea.)
{Wait, so I can taste it but not chow down? I sense the author’s distaste for mushrooms SMH.}
w
Materials Store
You are in a small storage area. The Mechanica Lab is back to the east.
To one side stands a heavy table, upon which is another ritual bound. This one is adjustable; it
is currently empty.
There’s another cabinet here. This one is clean, but locked.
An untidy storage bin contains three stone chips (obsidian, granite, and sandstone), a
moon-metal rod, a broad quartz prism, a long quartz prism, and a fluorspar crystal.
A crumpled recipe sheet is lying by the ritual bound.
Someone has dropped a standard glass chime, the sort used in musical rituals. It’s marked as
being in the key of H.>x chime
It’s a regulation Naval ritual chime – glass, H. (Technically H is the same as B natural, but
there’s some symbolic distinction that the Navy picked up from Austrian Uhraufziehzauberer
lore, so you’re stuck with it.)
{Is this actually a thing?}
x long
It’s a hexagonal prism of clear quartz crystal, rather long.
x broad
It’s a hexagonal prism of clear quartz crystal, rather broad.
x moon
A small rod of silvery-white moon-metal. It feels a little heavier than ordinary silver.
x granite
A small, rough-edged bit of grey granite.
x obsidian
A small sharp chunk of black, glassy obsidian.
x sandstone
A small chip of rough, reddish sandstone.
x fluorspar
It’s a small, roughly cubical chunk of orange-yellow fluorspar crystal.
x cabinet
The cabinet is a squarish compartment of some anonymous alloy. It is locked with an Alchemy
File lock, to keep out nosy low-rankers like yourself. A seal of that File would open it, if you had
one.
x paper
(the crumpled sheet)
“UNIVERSAL TARNISH CLEANSING: The basic tarnish rituals employ the law of similarity; a
steel token removes rust from steel. To prepare a token that will work on any corroded metal,
one must prepare a catalytic environment, rather than a fiery one. Place a token of brass or
steel in the bound and begin with a simple sealing. Recite the categorical imperative; pour a
drop of Java spirit upon the token; conclude with the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation.” The text of
the categorical imperative is jotted below.
On the reverse side, Sergeant Brooks has written: “Practice this ritual, using the adjustable
bound. Platinum wire will create a catalytic environment – if other elements (aromas) do not
contaminate the area! Tools are available in the lab.” This must be a lesson for the advanced
students.
You memorize the instructions, including the categorical imperative. You also add the sheet to
your bundle of paper.
{New concepts, yay!}
recall catalytic
The adjustable bound is by the Mechanica Lab. “Platinum wire will create a catalytic
environment – if other elements (aromas) do not contaminate the area!”
recall categorical
The categorical imperative is a phonological argument for generalizing a transformation.
take all
glass H chime: Taken.
chip of obsidian: Taken.
chip of granite: Taken.
chip of sandstone: Taken.
moon-metal rod: Taken.
broad quartz prism: Taken.
long quartz prism: Taken.
fluorspar crystal: Taken.
x bin
The storage bin is empty.
enter it
That’s not something you can enter.
x bound
The table bears a ritual bound, whose edge is an incised groove. The groove is currently empty.
This is an adjustable bound, a handy device. By placing a metal wire in the groove, one can set
up a ritual of any desired elemental association.
The adjustable bound is empty.
e
perform tarnish
Which do you mean, the basic tarnish cleansing inscription (with the brass pin), the doubled
tarnish cleansing inscription (with the brass pin), or the universal tarnish cleansing inscription
(with the brass pin)?
basic
(You are now in the Materials Store.)
perform basic rust
e
Mechanica Lab
This workshop features two of the more mundane devices of the alchemist’s life: a
The lab door is to the north, but it’s crusted over with some horrible-looking mold. The crawlway
hatch is open. You also see a small storeroom to the west.
An extremely corroded cabinet is fastened to the wall. It is closed.
put pin on cabinet
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the cabinet. The symbol does not
discharge, since the cabinet isn’t brass.
put bolt on cabinet
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the cabinet. The symbol does not
discharge, since the cabinet isn’t steel.
{Now I’m really curious about what this metal is.}
{We need either the pin or the bolt back.}
put pin on calipers
You carefully lay the basic saturation symbol against the calipers. The symbol discharges with a
faint pop. The calipers seem to glint even more brightly than before, but it’s probably your
imagination.
put platinum in drawer
You slide the platinum rod into the groove, ready to be drawn into the device.
pull crank
The wire-drawer’s crank doesn’t turn backwards. Something about the gearing.
push it
You begin hauling on the crank, and the platinum rod is slowly drawn into the device. Soon wire
begins spooling out onto the counter.
consumed. The platinum wire falls free, into a loose coil.
take wire
Taken.
w
put wire in bound
You carefully press the length of platinum wire into the groove. It forms a complete circuit
around the arc.
smell
The air is filled with the aroma of ginger.
{Oops.}
close ginger
put pin in bound
You put the brass pin into the adjustable bound.
speak simple
The arc begins to glow green around the brass pin.
speak categorical
You intone the categorical imperative. The metallic nature of the brass pin extends smoothly and
clearly into a general class.
{I feel like I’m forgeting something.
speak lesser
but you are on your guard, and you hold clearly to the formula. Nonetheless, something must be
{Yep.}
recall universal
“UNIVERSAL TARNISH CLEANSING: The basic tarnish rituals employ the law of similarity; a
steel token removes rust from steel. To prepare a token that will work on any corroded metal,
one must prepare a catalytic environment, rather than a fiery one. Place a token of brass or
steel in the bound and begin with a simple sealing. Recite the categorical imperative; pour a
drop of Java spirit upon the token; conclude with the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation.”
{Oh, the java spirit.}
pour java on pin
You carefully drip lubanja onto the brass pin.
speak lesser
{Let’s try this again, shall we?.}
speak mantra
You let the unsealing mantra run through your mind, clearing away the ritual energy. The bound
goes dark.
speak simple
The arc begins to glow green around the brass pin.
speak categorical
You intone the categorical imperative. The metallic nature of the brass pin extends smoothly and
clearly into a general class.
pour java on pin
You carefully drip lubanja onto the brass pin; a cleansing solvent quality adheres to the metal.
speak lesser
You begin the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation. The sounds fight fiercely, but you master them.
The energy pulses and converges. The green light goes blinding-bright, drawing together the
blended aromas and the words that you speak.
When the light fades, a symbol shines on the surface of the brass pin.
{Take that, Sarge!}
take pin
You pick up the brass pin, careful of its inscribed universal saturation symbol.
x universal
The brass pin is charged with the alchemical sign for universal phlogistical saturation. When you
touch it to something, the symbol will discharge.
e
put pin on cabinet
You carefully lay the universal saturation symbol against the cabinet. The symbol discharges;
the cabinet vibrates. Corrosion falls away in a dusty shower, leaving the cabinet shiny-clean –
or as shiny as it’s ever been, anyhow.
x cabinet
The cabinet is clean now, but still closed.
open it
You open the cabinet, revealing a torn sheet and a rust-stained sheet.
take all from it
torn sheet: “I’ve sealed off the chymic lab access so that nobody stumbles into anything. If you
need in: Mars, Luna, Jupiter. --JA”. You don’t recognize the handwriting.
You memorize the information, and also add the sheet to your bundle of paper.
rust-stained sheet: You pick up the sheet. It’s a potion receipt. “A BANE for MUSHROOMS,
LICHEN, and OTHER FUNGI: Prepare your chymic retort with mustard seed and a sample offungus, in a saline bath. Seal; turn on burner, and heat to a gentle simmer. Invoke the Binding of
Antipathy, thus attuning the mustard’s toxic qualities to your sample. Decant.” The binding is
spelled out below.
You memorize the instructions, including the Binding of Antipathy. You also add the sheet to
your bundle of paper.
recall antipathy
The Binding of Antipathy can hold contradictory elements in accord, or amplify an element’s
opposition to external influences.
{Let’s go grab that wire.}
w
take wire
You extract the length of platinum wire from the groove.
e
n
(first opening the pine Mechanica door)
The encrustations of mold prevent the door from opening.
d
w
n
Chem Lab Crawlspace
The crawlspace ends here. The only way back is to the south. You’re pretty sure that you’re
under the Chymic Lab now.
You see one last hatch in the ceiling. This one is not rusted in the slightest. In fact, it looks like
someone recently oiled it. Unfortunately, whoever it was also affixed a heavy brass lock.
recall combo
“I’ve sealed off the chymic lab access so that nobody stumbles into anything. If you need in:
Mars, Luna, Jupiter. --JA”.
{Let’s try this.}
set lock to mars
You set the lock to Mars.
set it to luna
You set the lock to Luna.
set it to jupiter
You set the lock to Jupiter.
The lock snaps open.
u
Chymic Lab
This wide room is dominated by a huge glass retort. You’ve practiced many chymical rituals in
this apparatus. Hanging above the retort is an instructional sign.
The lab door to the east is closed. The only other exit is the hatch in the floor, which is open.A supply rack holds five chymic flasks (sand, vinegar, muriatic acid, mineral oil, and saline),
neatly lined up.
Two papers, a folded sheet and a wrinkled sheet, are lying here.
You can also see a brass coin and an impet of citronelle oil here.
{So many things to drink.}
x sand
This is a flask of coarse white silicate crystals – which is to say, sand.
taste it
Sand isn’t nice to eat.
x mineral
Mineral oil is clear and inert.
taste it
(first taking the flask of mineral oil)
Don’t eat the chymical substances.
x acid
Which do you mean, the flask of vinegar or the flask of muriatic acid?
muriatic
Muriatic acid is a strong acid produced from salt.
taste it
(first taking the flask of muriatic acid)
x vinegar
Common vinegar, albeit purified and concentrated to alchemical standards.
taste it
(first taking the flask of vinegar)
x saline
Saline is a dilute salt solution, often used as a base for potions.>taste it
True, the saline is non-toxic, but there must be a better use for it.
{Come on, game, let me let loose my full idiocy!}
x coin
This is a cheap brass coin – old, but not an antique. It looks like someone picked it up in a junk
shop, which is probably exactly what happened. One face is stamped with a rayed sun, which
makes it a handy symbolic token.
x citronelle
essential oils all over the place. The citronelle impet is closed.
take all
wrinkled sheet: This appears to be an instructor’s notes for a lecture. “Lab demonstration #5:
Calcinate of copper. Place muriatic acid and quickcopper (orichalcum) in the retort. Heat to
dissolve, and continue heating until the green salt crystallizes. Note: product is unstable! Flush
retort directly after demonstration; do not extract calcinate.”
You memorize the information, and also add the sheet to your bundle of paper.
folded sheet: This paper appears to be a student’s notes, from some advanced class. It spells
out two formulae: a word of entension, which delays or lengthens a chymical reaction, and a
word of culmination, which resolves the same.
You memorize the information, including the two formulae. You also add the sheet to your
bundle of paper.
brass coin: Taken.
impet of citronelle oil: Taken.
flask of sand: Taken.
flask of saline: Taken.
recall copper
“Lab demonstration #5: Calcinate of copper. Place muriatic acid and quickcopper (orichalcum) in
the retort. Heat to dissolve, and continue heating until the green salt crystallizes. Note: product
is unstable! Flush retort directly after demonstration; do not extract calcinate.”
{…That sounds both unsafe and exactly like something we should do.}
recall entension
The word of entension delays a reaction, which can later be resolved by a word of culmination.
recall culmination
The word of culmination resolves a reaction which has been delayed by a word of entension.
x sign
(the instructive sign)The sign reads: “Remember! Every chymical ritual begins in the retort, and each begins with the
Hermetic Sealing!” This sovereign formula is spelled out below, with instructive accent marks.
You’ve survived many tedious lectures in this room by staring blankly at this sign. It hangs right
over where the rector likes to stand, and its quirks of calligraphy are always more interesting
than his somnolent drone.
Just to be sure, though, you memorize the Hermetic sealing word again.
recall hermetic
The Hermetic Sealing word creates a boundary circle. It is always used for chymical
transformations in the retort, although it has other uses as well.
x retort
The retort is a magnificent piece of glassware, the pride of the laboratory. It practically is the
laboratory – a bespoke apparatus for any sort of chymical ritual.
The outer enclosure is a glass bulb, two feet across. Its equator is etched with an encircling
ritual bound. Suspended within is a reservoir for chymic reagents, and a mesh basket for solid
components. The retort has a slot in the top for adding these reagents, a tap for extracting
products, and a dump valve for discarding ruined experiments. The base also contains a gas
burner, although it is not currently lit.
{Let’s brew some potion.}
recall fungicide
“A BANE for MUSHROOMS, LICHEN, and OTHER FUNGI: Prepare your chymic retort with
mustard seed and a sample of fungus, in a saline bath. Seal; turn on burner, and heat to a
gentle simmer. Invoke the Binding of Antipathy, thus attuning the mustard’s toxic qualities to
your sample. Decant.”
put seed in retort
You put the pinch of mustard seed into the retort.
put mushroom in retort
You put the dried mushroom into the retort.
put saline in retort
You pour a measure of saline into the retort.
x burner
The burner is a ring of gas outlets at the base of the retort, connected to a knob. The burner is
not lit; but you have only to twist the knob to start the gas flowing. (It will ignite itself. That’s
ensured by a clever pyrophilic filament built into the outlets.)
x valve
A heavy alloy lever beneath the retort allows you to dump the contents and flush the retort
clean.
speak simple
You take a breath, trace the bound in your mind, and intone the simple sealing word. But it
echoes off-key; the retort’s bound does not close.
{…Yes, Sarge, I know the sign is right there.}
speak hermetic
You take a breath, trace the bound in your mind, and intone the Hermetic Sealing.
The retort’s equator begins to glow pearl-grey around the dried mushroom, the pinch of mustard
seed, and the reservoir of saline.
turn on burner
You twist the knob. The gas burner hisses, and then bursts into flame.
The gas flame heats the saline.
x flame
The burner is a ring of gas outlets connected to a knob. The burner is lit; blue flames dance
beneath the retort.
The gas flame heats the saline.
z
Time passes.
The saline bubbles over the flame.
speak antipathy
You begin invoking the Binding of Antipathy, forcing out the bitter phrases. Gradually the
mustard seeds dissolve, and the saline solution acquires a lavender tint. Purple fumes begin to
fill the retort.
When you finish choking out the formula, the liquid is deep purple in hue. You find an empty vial
in the clutter and tap the fungicide from the retort. Phew! It smells awful. You snap the vial shut.
As an afterthought, you shut off the gas flame. You also pull the retort’s dump lever – the
mushroom falls out into your hand. It’s damp, but none the worse for wear.
x fungicide
This is a purple liquid, which appears to be fuming slightly in its bottle. It should be instant death
to mold, lichen, and fungus.
smell it
You crack open the bottle of fungicide. Yes, the purple fumes still smell awful.
taste it
You are not a mushroom, but that doesn’t mean this stuff is good for you.
{Of course it’s good for me, I’m the main character!}
go to mech
You make your way to the Mechanica Lab.
Mechanica Lab
The lab door is to the north, but it’s crusted over with some horrible-looking mold. The crawlway
hatch is open. You also see a small storeroom to the west.
A clean cabinet is fastened to the wall. It is open, but empty.
pour bottle on door
You splash the fungicide onto the door. The mold bubbles and shrivels away, leaving the wood
clean – well, only a bit stained. The hinges seem to be clear now, anyway.
x door
The pine Mechanica door is still stained grey, but the mold is gone. The door is closed.
n
(first opening the pine Mechanica door)
Lab Hall Southwest
This is the southwest corner of the laboratory access hallway. It’s done up in rough wallpaper,
faintly scruffy and very familiar – these halls are the center of your student life. The hall runs
north and east from here.
To the south, the door to the Mechanica Lab is open. The Chymic Lab door is to the west; it’s
closed. The lab stairwell opens to the northeast, but a fracture prevents entry.
A sheet of paper lies discarded in the hall.
A swabbie out of the lab is like a fish out of the sea.
Thanks, Sarge, I’ll remember that.
{And we end here.}

Inventory:
• a dried mushroom
• a brass coin
• a length of platinum wire
• a brass pin
• a fluorspar crystal
• a long quartz prism
• a broad quartz prism
• three stone chips (sandstone, granite, and obsidian)
• a glass H chime
• a lump of rock salt
• an iron bead
• a glass loop
• a steel bolt (inscribed with the basic saturation symbol)
• a sprig of honeysuckle
• a pinch of zafranum
• a bundle of paper
• a pair of gleaming calipers
• a sprig of rosemary
• seven chymic flasks (saline, sand, vinegar, muriatic acid, mineral oil, lubanja, and rubbing
alcohol)
• three impets of essential oil (citronelle, ginger, and peppermint)
• two metal rods (moon-metal and nickel)

Memories:
You have learned six rituals: (* marks rituals you have not yet completed)
• fungicide synthesis
• universal tarnish cleansing inscription (with the brass pin)
• doubled rust cleansing inscription (with the steel bolt)
• doubled tarnish cleansing inscription (with the brass pin) (*)
• basic rust cleansing inscription (with the steel bolt)
• basic tarnish cleansing inscription (with the brass pin)
You know an impressive list of alchemical formulae:
• a word of entension
• a word of culmination
• the Hermetic Sealing
• the Binding of Antipathy
• the categorical imperative
• the Lesser Phlogistical Saturation
• an elementary word of binding
• a word of essential nature
• a simple sealing word
• an unsealing mantra
You have picked up assorted facts: