keep running into a crash when compiling

Not sure if this would fall more under a windows or I7 problem but here goes. My OS is windows 7. Seems like every time I go through compiling now inform will hang up and a window will pop up saying. "Inform 7 for windows has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This is becoming quite frustrating to say the least when it crashes over and over. Anyway anyone who has more technical skill than I…if you can point me in the right direction to get this squared away I would be very thankful.

The nice (?) thing about Windows is that its error messages make Inform’s error messages look helpful by comparison. Sort of like going to the doctor:

Sorry I can’t add anything helpful, other than to confirm that the issue is not as simple as Inform 7 not working with Windows 7. I’ve been running Windows 7 for a few months and haven’t run into this. Good luck.

Robert Rothman

I’m not terribly familiar with Inform, but on the Windows side of it I can say that sometimes there’s useful information saved to the Windows event log, which you can browse using the Event Viewer.

I’m guessing any crash reports for Inform would end up under Windows Logs\Application\ .

Does it crash when you create a simple test game? If so, you need to reinstall. In that case, save your work in progress to a safe location. (It’s a file called story.ni. It’s buried somewhere deep in the bowels of your hard drive.) Then uninstall and reinstall.

If the test game compiles and runs, then you’ve written some code that has run afoul of a bug in the Inform compiler. Load your game, comment out as much as you possibly can, and run it. Assuming it runs, start adding bits, one at a time, by uncommenting them, and keep running the game each time. Sooner or later it will blow up, and you’ll be able to locate the bug.

–JA

First, follow Jim’s advice above (make sure it’s the compiler and not your story).

If that’s not the issue, you could do what I did when I kept running into windows problems:
Get an Ubuntu live USB drive (download it here) and load Inform onto it.
Whenever you want to work on inform, just jam it in and reboot - voila: instant stable environment

Of course, this isn’t a solution but it will get you up and running.

This is something that happened here and there in the past but now alot. It is hanging up most of the time when compiling png files. I dont think it’s a code issue since this is a game I have been messing with forever and it was fine.As I go through the game testing things out when I hit on something that displays a png file usually thats when it goes kablooey. I may try reinstalling inform and see if that cleans it up. Thanks btw for helping out. Also I did the error log but its all gobbledygook to me I will cut n paste whats there though.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 9/20/2011 2:11:13 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxxx-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: Inform7.exe, version: 7.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d15029e
Faulting module name: Inform7.exe, version: 7.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d15029e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00060d70
Faulting process id: 0x1280
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc77c039a0a0ea
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Inform 7\Inform7.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Inform 7\Inform7.exe
Report Id: ec99f981-e3b3-11e0-878a-002564874aec
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Billy-PC

Inform7.exe
4d15029e
Inform7.exe
4d15029e
c0000005
00060d70
01cc77c039a0a0ea
C:\Program Files (x86)\Inform 7\Inform7.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Inform 7\Inform7.exe
ec99f981-e3b3-11e0-878a-002564874aec

Exception code c0000005 is for an access violation. That probably means the compiler is trying to read or write to memory that doesn’t belong to it.

That’s an access violation (Edit: I see that I’m slow to the draw.); Inform or one of its libraries is trying to use memory that it doesn’t own. If you can come up with a (preferably small) story and steps to reproduce the crash, and then file a report at http://inform7.com/mantis/, that would be great. If necessary, you can also e-mail the project to bugs@inform7.com and mention the bug number.

how would one go about fixing this problem? :wink:

File the bug for the windows IDE. That’s what’s crashing (Inform7.exe).

Well, if you just need a quick fix to get writing again while waiting for things to work their way through mantis…

You can’t: something about your game or system is causing the Inform 7 front-end to generate a fatal error, and to fix that we’ll need to investigate the failure. Does it happen only with the game you’re working on, or if you try to create a new project too?

Anyway, the best way forward would be to try to figure out whether it’s a specific project, and either file a bug report or email the Windows maintainer (me - my email address is in the BugReport.txt file that’s included in the Inform 7 install).

First, a lot of programs have issues with windows 7 because of read right privleges

so A: run in administrative mode always

Second if you find it is having issues run in compatibility mode as if it is xp, I’ve even had to go so far as too put extra .dll files to get a program to run correctly… not in this case but just saying.

so B: run in compatibility mode x

This is what I try first… also I use some different programs so … meh… I’ll post again later maybe…