Is there a tool to create Spellcasting 101/201/301 type games?

Does anyone know of an authoring system (or even better, and Inform extension) to make games like the old Spellcasting series? Glulx touches a few of the edges… but I thought it was a cool interface and was looking to see if there was a tool we could use to reproduce something closer to it.

0 Likes

(Hanon Ondricek) #2

From what I remember, those Legend games were kind of a hybrid adventure system with still pictures (having occasional animation or changeable sprites) no on-screen avatar, and there were multiple panes of word lists of nouns and verbs to construct sentences which were then parsed?

I don’t know of any available system that does all that straight out of the box - especially the word-lists with sentence-building.

Off the top of my head, the closest you could get to something like that in Inform 7 would be to use Vorple but it’d be a lot of work. Possibly also using “Flexible Windows” to throw words into lists. I’ve seen quite a few posts trying to get Flexible Windows working with an unofficial update of “Glulx Entry Points” which begins treading into Frankenstein’s Monster territory with regard to constructing an interface - at least for someone like me who likes to stay safe within the confines of an IDE!

I’d be interested to see a prototype of something like this working. I hope others have better suggestions.

0 Likes

I have been working with “Flexible Windows” and “Simple Graphical Window” using “Glulx Entry Points” (official only, not going there again… using unofficial leads to insanity) but not getting what I want yet. If I come up with something, even partial, I will post it.

1 Like

(Hanon Ondricek) #4

Here’s another thread with Vorple discussion and links to examples if you’re interested.

1 Like

I will definitely look at this tomorrow. Until then, Goodnight all!

0 Likes

INSTEAD allows you to have graphics, music and construct commands with word lists in hint mode (default on when playing on Android & iOS). Currently no game examples in English but there is an English parser library (the behaviour follows Inform 6).

1 Like

(Hanon Ondricek) #7

Are the docs not localized for INSTEAD? I looked at it in the past, but there was something that kept me from getting into it.

0 Likes

(Daniel Stelzer) #8

Mm, the most difficult part in Glulx is going to be clicking the words. Now, I can think of a way to make it so you can click words to build an input, then when you type a character it goes to text entry (with those words pre-filled)—and a way to make it so it switches back to the word-clicking-input-building mode when you click another word—but I don’t think it’s possible to preserve what the user’s typed when they click a new word (it would wipe it all out).

The best option I can think of would involve fundamental changes to Glk, which…isn’t really a good solution.

0 Likes

No, when you cancel a line input event the buffer will be filled, so you could append to it, and then resume the line input. But it would be a lot of work, basically from scratch.

A Colder Light was similar. I can’t remember what technology it used, and I’m not sure if it’s still online anywhere. But a Glulx version is in the archive.

0 Likes

Links to the official English doc (also in PDF) and forum

2 Likes

Both Vorple and Instead seem worth a try… neither is exactly what I was looking for, but could easily do the same job. Maybe even better because of less clutter. Thanks for the tips. Instead does seem like it would have a steeper learning curve. But the end result might be worth it.

0 Likes

Still, if anyone has their hands on the Legend archive of tools… I would love to know what they used.

0 Likes

Okay… Vorple is AMAZING. Working through the docs, I tried the Wikipedia look up function. This solves multiple issues I hadn’t even begun to address yet thinking they were going to be too difficult. Thank you @Juhana Leinonen!

2 Likes