Is Spring Thing 2023 a thing?

I know that Aaron announced that 2022 would be his last year to organize Spring Thing, but I don’t think I’ve seen any news since.

Will there be a Spring Thing? Has anyone expressed interest in running it?

Ironically, I’ve been too busy getting ready for Spring Thing to volunteer. I also think that I lack the people skills, if I’m honest with myself.

Apologies if this is a settled matter!

10 Likes

I’ve got no clue, but I’m interested in this as well. Aaron was a great organizer- and his dedication to making the festival welcoming and warm was wonderful, and a huge factor behind my getting involved with and sticking around in the IF community. I hope that whatever pursuits he gets up to in the future go well!

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s a thing! It says this on the website:

A note: there will be a Spring Thing 2023, but the website will likely not go up before Janurary. New seeds sometimes take a while to sprout.

…so I’d take that as assurance that it will be back, even if under new management.

13 Likes

Ah, well that’s nice to hear!

5 Likes

Thanks for asking this question! I was curious too. I have something I’d like to get off my chest that seems a poor fit for IFComp or ParserComp. Or maybe it’s just small enough that I don’t want it batting about in my head any longer than necessary.

Agreed about Aaron being a great organizer. I lost track of ST for a few years somehow (COVID I’m guessing) and was pleasantly shocked with all the neat things that had appeared in it, along with the new people it pulled into the community and who seem to have stayed.

6 Likes

Wow, I can’t believe this new comp is stealing its terminology from SeedComp now!

10 Likes

Excellent! I’m not entering anything this year, but I will certainly be playing and reviewing!

3 Likes

Well, let’s hope that what it says on the website, as innocently reported by me, is indeed a true and accurate statement of fact! (Otherwise, to cover my embarrassment, I’ll just have to cobble the whole thing together myself).

5 Likes

Took me a minute to find Aaron’s post here from last May, looking for a new organizer, so… link for easy reference.

6 Likes

What month of the year do submissions usually close for most Spring Thing events?

The wiki seems to just say what the competition is, and not what month it happens in. I don’t really know how to budget my project for dev time, as I was planning on entering Spring Thing 2023.

Even if we don’t know exactly when, those who have seen previous Spring Things can still estimate, and that’s all I’m asking for.

1 Like

The deadline for intents to enter is generally 1 March, and the deadline for game submissions 31 March.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try to get this game done in time…! :smiley:

1 Like

That’s why SeedComp!'s Round 2 submission deadline is March 1st. We didn’t want folks still working on their SeedComp games while trying to test and finish their SpringThing entries as well. Trying to not step on older more venerable toes.

4 Likes

HOLD ON A GAWSH-DARN MOMENT…SEEDCOHMP…WAS MAS-KUH-RAY-DIN’ AS SPRING THING THE ENTIY-HUH TIME! HOW DID WE MISS THAT OWBVIOUS DEE-TAIL STAHRIN’ US RAGHT IN THE FAYCE!? </benoitblanc></ipromiseillstopnow>

5 Likes

I suppose that does provide a convenient get-out clause, insofar as if SpringThing does not actually happen this year then we can pretend that it and SeedComp were really one and the same thing all along, and shake our heads and pshaw at the fools who ever thought differently.

4 Likes