Introducing The Wayfarers Inn

Happy Halloween!

I wanted to announce a new game called The Wayfarers Inn just released for the Eamon CS gaming system. I built and released this system early in 2017, so a few people might know about it, but the game was just completed. It is classified as horror and has a mature content rating, so it’s a perfect companion for a spooky Halloween evening. This is an Eamon so it includes all the trappings - RPG elements, randomized combat, etc. For those who prefer an experience more akin to classic IF, you can issue the command SET INTERACTIVEFICTION TRUE and it will play somewhat more like TADS or Inform. If you’ve never used this gaming system you might want to run a character through The Beginner’s Cave first to familiarize yourself with the parser. It is much more powerful than older Eamon systems. Also, if you’re playing in Eamon mode, The Wayfarers Inn is quite a tough one to beat.

Who might enjoy this game?

• Fans of the horror genre
  • Fans of text-based RPGs (randomized combat, etc)
  • Fans of games with moderate puzzles (some interlocking)
  • Fans of story-driven games
  • Fans of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining

Eamon CS Repository

Thanks
Michael Penner

9 Likes

I’d give it a go but looks like I can’t run it on a Mac, is that right?

-Wade

3 Likes

That’s a good question. I don’t have access to a Mac and haven’t tried it, but there is a .NET 6.0 installer available for that platform and if you download and install it, I believe the binaries included in the Eamon CS repository should work. You’d use the QuickLaunch .sh files included for Unix to run the game. I think you could also compile Eamon CS using Visual Studio for Mac if you need to. You’d be a trailblazer, but if you have any issues let me know and I’ll try to work through it.

If you’d care to, please try the following when you have a chance. Use the first link below if your macOS is running on x64. If not, choose the second link and select one of the highlighted items on the .NET download page:

Download .NET 6.0 (macOS x64)
Download .NET 6.0 (Linux, macOS, and Windows)

Thanks,
Mike

1 Like

That’s great news! Hope to find the time to play it soon.

1 Like

disagree on the use of the m$ .net platform.

I’ll explain in detail after the IFComp for keeping Da***i happy…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.
Dott. Piergiorgio.

Hi, there’s really nothing that can done about the platform at this point. :person_shrugging: If you’re not a .NET fan (for whatever reason) I totally get that. People who want to use Inform can use it, or TADS, or any other platform. This is a game release thread, I’m just letting people know it’s available.

Best regards,
Mike Penner

5 Likes

On a side note, I just tried to run Eamon CS in Windows 11, which by default launches inside a Terminal instead of the traditional Command Console. The game crashes shortly after startup. It has little to do with Eamon CS or .NET, but the Command Console has grown increasingly incompatible as Microsoft adds more Terminal logic to it. However, the game will still run in Command Console legacy mode. I’ll continue to investigate, but if you’re experiencing this issue, I think the following link offers a solution:

Command Prompt and Windows Powershell for Windows 11 - Microsoft Support

Apologies for the inconvenience. It may also be time for me to think about migrating to a different I/O strategy.

Thanks,
Mike Penner

1 Like