Introducing Ourselves

That sounds very cool! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi Liam, a very warm welcome to you! Always exciting when another Twiner jumps in the pool (shoutout to Sophiaā€™s comment above, those resources are top-notch).

I noticed the conlang in your bio - would love to hear more about some of your faves or your own projects sometime!

8 Likes

Welcome Liam!

Actually not long enough :stuck_out_tongue:
Iā€™m intrigued in the kind of worldbuilding you are trying to include in your Twine project now :stuck_out_tongue:

heheheh Thatā€™s me :smiley:

8 Likes

Wow! I was not expecting this many replies! Thank you @sophia, for the resource links, Iā€™ve been searching for things like this. Itā€™s very convenient to find big lists of resources and solutions instead of trying to find different things individually.

Conlangs have been an interest of mine for a long time, but Iā€™ve only recently started to get into creating them. I have a couple that Iā€™ve been making, mostly for worldbuilding purposes, but they can be found here: https://conworkshop.com/view_profile.php?m=S3168640494. I havenā€™t kept all of them completely updated though. I do a lot of on-paper writing.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re intrigued! Like my conlangs, I do a lot of writing in notebooks and things, so not much is currently in digital form, but I have been slightly active in the worldbuilding community on Reddit. (I only use Reddit for conlanging and worldbuilding so all of the comments on my profile should be related to that if you want to see some snippets: https://www.reddit.com/user/secretly_a_wizard/)

6 Likes

:eyes:

one of us one of us one of us

7 Likes

Hi everyone! :slight_smile: Iā€™m Geoff, very nice to meet you and to find a community like this!

Iā€™m building a comedy text adventure role playing game/show called The Great Underground Empire. Iā€™ll be hosting as The Last Computer (TLC for short), a live face tracking avatar that turns my head into a friendly Apple iie with a digital smiley face. Iā€™m writing adventures for it, and have a crew of friends ready to be The Player, giving me commands as we play the story together.

I was inspired by Taylor Moore and the Rude Tales of Magic podcast crew playing Six Gun Showdown, a Parsely text adventure RPG by Jared A. Sorensen. Itā€™s one of those ā€œoh my gods how did I never think of this??ā€ moments. :exploding_head:

Iā€™m 43 and loooooved the text adventures and point and clicks of the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s. Back then computers seemed like a genuinely magical, unknown frontier. I want to capture that feeling in my stuff.

But, Iā€™ve been stumbling hard getting the adventures done. And then I found out about thriving text adventure communities like you, and here I am! Hoping to make cool new friends and uplift each other creatively! :slight_smile:

Cheers and nice to meet you!

18 Likes

Welcome!!!

6 Likes

Greetings, I just found this site while searching the web, and was intrigued because Iā€™ve been curious about Infocom games, which Iā€™ve learned about only in recent years as I wasnā€™t alive for over half of the 1980ā€™s. I started out on point-and-click adventures, but have gained interest in text adventures after playing Legend Entertainment games. I look forward to learning more about interactive fiction ā€“ thank you for having me :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Hello! Iā€™ve finally gotten up the courage to stop just lurking and post an introduction. :sweat_smile: Iā€™m Tabitha, author of Structural Integrity in this yearā€™s Spring Thing, and Iā€™ve been mildly obsessed with IF since I started learning Twine at the beginning of the year. Iā€™ve been writing fiction for a long time and always liked the idea of writing a game, but it didnā€™t really click that that was actually possible until I gave Twine a try. Since then, Iā€™ve made two games and have been playing old and new IF non-stop (both choice-based and parsers). Excited to be here!

27 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Tom!

Interactive fiction is something Iā€™ve loved my whole life. My fascination was first sparked as a kid, when I found Choose Your Own Historical Adventure type books at my local library. The idea that you could be reading a novel about the Titanic and then drown horribly because of choices that you, the reader made, just totally blew the mind of elementary-aged me. From there, an interest with computer interactive fiction and MUDs was pretty much inevitable. I remember the first ā€œproperā€ parser-based IF I ever played was Varicella. Talk about a trial by fire. But I stuck with it! And here I am today (after lurking way too long).

Itā€™s wonderful to meet everybody, and I already feel at home!

21 Likes

Welcome Tom!

5 Likes

howdy gang <3 my nameā€™s kc and Iā€™m a writer currently focused on my biggest undertaking larkin! a work-in-progress vampire western about religious and family trauma. I found IF through the choice of games pipeline and thought ā€˜hey, Iā€™d like to do that!ā€™ Not the biggest fan of parsers :clown_face: but I am Super Into The Consequences of My Own Actions so story/choice-based games are my jam. Iā€™m really active on tumblr (@larkin-if) so if you ever want to chat about if in a more casual environment hit me up over there <3

23 Likes

Hi KC,
Nice to see you here!

6 Likes

Whoa there. Letā€™s keep it civilā€¦ :wink:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!!! Letā€™s talk about MUDs!!! What sort of MUDs did you play? I love hearing about the medium and really wish we could have more MUDs that utilized a lot of adventure-styled mechanics. I am a huge fan of MUDs like Discworld, and my white whale of a game, VR-1 Crossroads (a truly spectacular MUD that is lost to time).

4 Likes

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m very new to MUDs, Iā€™ve been playing IF much longer. So far, Iā€™ve just been experimenting with the popular ones, like Aardwolf, but Iā€™m open to trying anything. Discworld has been at the top of my ā€œto play listā€ for ages now, though.
I had never actually heard of VR-1 Crossroads, but it sounds awesome. It doesnā€™t seem to have run for very long. Did you play it back in the late 90s/early 2000s?

4 Likes

I had discovered it an started playing it when i was a junior in high school. It lasted less than a year before it closed down on me, but what I had experienced was absolutely magical. The game featured mechanics and worldbuilding ideas i have never seen in a game to this day and it integrated the traditional MUD-style combat and multiplayer systems with Text adventures. It had a graphical user interface, music and sound and even had official artwork by H.R. Geiger as part of its documentation and character creation system. It was so cool!

2 Likes

That really does sound cool. Itā€™s bizarre to me that a game like that seems to have made next to no impression. I struggled to find much information about it, just one screen shot, a couple blog posts, and a blurry picture of the back cover of the disc.

3 Likes

Hello! Iā€™m Perry, and Iā€™m 38 years old. Nice to meet you.

When I was a little kid, my father asked me a weird question that ā€“ for some reason ā€“ I remember to this day: ā€œWould you like to play a game that letā€™s you experience adventures for yourself?ā€ What he meant was the point-and-click adventure game Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on our Atari ST.

I had played computer and console games before, but this was different. This was a game that didnā€™t whip me through obstacle courses with repeating backgrounds. This was a game that put me in into a world with actual real-life locations like New York and Venice, filled them to the brim with puzzles, secrets, stuff to read and people to talk to, then gave me 14 (fourteen!) different verbs, neatly arranged on the bottom of the screen, and all the time in the world. The possibilites seemed endless.

One fateful day, me and a friend discovered a book in the school library that teaches BASIC to children, opening up a whole new world to me. I started writing all sorts of text adventures (mainly consisting of simplistic if/then-statements), including the only sizable game I ever actually finished, an in-joke-filled puzzle romp for my girlfriend at the time.

It took a few more years (and English classes) until I eventually got to play Infocom games and discover the ā€œmodernā€ (early 2000s) IF scene, fascinating me immensely. A Mind Forever Voyaging in particular struck a cord with me, hence my internet handle that I use almost everywhere. Around that time, I started playing around with a German IF authoring system called TAG, but never got far.

Then, one day, Inform 7 got announced, which felt life-changing to me. I remember reading about it and getting excited to the point of nerdgasmic tears. This was what I had waited for. A tool made specifically for people like me, with a brain torn between an artsy fartsy ā€œliteratureā€ half and a more technical minded ā€œcomputer scienceā€ half.

Eventually, I wrote my diploma thesis in German Studies on ā€œInteractive Fiction as a literary formā€, with a focus on the German-speaking scene. (Nobody at the German Studies department had any idea what I was talking about. I could have told them anything :D)

Have I ever finished something in Inform 7? Of course not. I had so much fun playing around with it though. To this day, itā€™s my favorite piece of software thatā€™s not a game (or is it?!).

But hey, Iā€™m working on something again right now, and Iā€™m sure this time Iā€™ll keep at it, at least until the end of the week. Like most of my ideas, itā€™s amazingly niche and unmarketable: a smutty piece of AIF with card-based deck building mechanics. Oh well, Iā€™m sure my other main project, an oldschool Hoganā€™s Heroes fan fiction puzzle fest, is going to set the IF world on fire one day!

Anyway. Iā€™ve been lurking on this ridiculously addictive, helpful and fun-to-read forum since the days when most discussions were still taking place on the newsgroups, made an account sometime in 2015, and Iā€™m happy Iā€™m now finally writing my introduction post. A good day to you all!

20 Likes

Welcome :smiley:

4 Likes