Introducing Ourselves

will DM you details.

1 Like

Heyyyyyyy me too!! Welcome to the forums! :smile:

2 Likes

There are a bunch of games that embrace the Infocom feel but are more (relatively speaking) recent, thus having some more player-comfort features (most notably gradual in-game hints and impossibility of adventure-zombification). A small grab out of that huge box:

These are all rather old games, Iā€™m not that up to speed with even more recent Infocom-like games.

7 Likes

Risorgimento Represso had a sequel recently, I think!

2 Likes

Kia ora koutou! That means ā€œhello all!ā€ in Māori.

Edwin McRae here, aka Fiction Engine.

Iā€™m a New Zealand narrative designer and game writer who has written Guardian Maia Episodes 1 and 2 and The Falconers: Moonlight. Ink script is my favourite IF tool.

I became fascinated with IF at age 11 when I encountered ā€œTwin Kingdom Valleyā€ on my schoolā€™s Acorn Electron and soon after attempted to construct my first text adventure in Adventure Creator on the Atari 600XL.

Iā€™m on the lookout for IF competitions to spur me into some personal projects.

Nga mihi!
Edwin

18 Likes

One of those adjectives makes me feel a mixture of meloncholy and apprehension. :frowning_face:

Belated welcome, regardless. :wave:

3 Likes

LOL, Iā€™m sorry! Itā€™s probably not the adjective I should have used. I think I used it more because those games evoke a nostalgia of my childhood for me (I was 12 when the PS2 was discontinued).

Thank you for the welcome!

6 Likes

Oh, no, you didnā€™t do anything wrong. What caused those feelings was the sinking realization that your use of the word was entirely apt for a gaming console discontinued a decade ago, not any faux pas of yours. Please, carry on.

2 Likes

Welcome!

You can find an overview of IF competitions on the IFWiki: Category:Competitions - IFWiki

At the moment, the biggest one, the aptly named ā€œIF Compā€, is in the final part of the voting phase: https://ifcomp.org/

After IF Comp and EctoComp, thereā€™s usually a slight lull in activity, but there might be a new edition of the Winter TADS Jam, or maybe an Adventuron Christmas Jam.

And of course, you can work on an entry for next yearā€™s Spring Thing, IntroComp, ParserComp, or IF Comp.

6 Likes

Hello hello! Pleasure to meet you all!

Iā€™m Tarantula Lovelace, an interactive fiction enjoyer and hopefully, a developer of some games in this genre!! A good set of friends of mine ( @sophia & @catskets ) introduced me to these forums and now iā€™m finally joining them! The first project I plan to work on is one iā€™ve titled the Mirror Witch!

I adore the horror genre a lot, specifically horror and romance rolled into one! I just think a lot about how violent and visceral love can be sometimes! I also just enjoy the feeling of fear and suspense quite a lot. All that being said, I absolutely love romance too!!! Any story I can read about gushy lovey dovey stuff is right up my alley and something I really enjoy! I also collect stuffed animals and am thoroughly introspective about myself and my mental health, so ill probably make a few pieces about myself along the road!

Hope to get along with you all! xo!!!

19 Likes

Hi Tarantula!

Well, youā€™ve certainly made a memorable first impression with your jellyfish story.

Violent and visceral lovey-dovey horrormance sounds perfect. Youā€™ll no doubt find many people who can help you with Mirror Witch, should you have any game-design or technical questions.

Also, any personal anecdotes about cousins and eldritch horrors/biting bugs are most welcome!

Hope you feel right at home here!

Rovarsson

5 Likes

I love dragging people onto the forums. Good to see a familiar face around. >:3

7 Likes

Hello!

My name is Jo and Iā€™m very excited to be here!
Iā€™m new to this scene but I enjoy consuming fiction so Iā€™ve decided to try my hand at creating it.
IF fiction seemed like a good place to start! Iā€™ve been playing around with Twine for the last week and Iā€™ve decided on a sci-fi story that Iā€™ve already half written.

Now back to my adventure of figuring out the stat system for the decisions the MC makes.

Looking forward to meeting and getting to know you all!

18 Likes

Welcome!

Sci-Fi and adventure are my favorites.

Please post when your game is ready to play.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Carrington, half of the Eaten By A Grue podcast where Kay Savetz and I discuss the IF games we play.

Iā€™m currently finishing my own first IF game, which Iā€™ve cobbled together using PunyInform. Writing that has been a treat.

21 Likes

Oh man! I did enjoy Terrible Nerd. Welcome!

Congrats on finishing all the Infocom games on the podcast, and thanks for reminding me I didnā€™t finish Hadean Lands yet, either. (Gonna consult David Welbournā€™s walkthrough there!)

10 Likes

Hi, I am Oliver, a German writer of SciFi Stories (Non-IF and currently only available in German) and a fan of IF for a very long time.

As a 1973 vintage, I have naturally spent my time hijacking the latest releases of Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls from the store to my home. And while I certainly play current game titles with appreciation and admiration, the comforting mystery of the text adventure game remains an experience I not only look back on fondly, but also enjoy reliving with the new IF titles.

As an author, wouldnā€™t I be tempted to write a title myself? You bet I am! But for now Iā€™m going to relax in the cozy ā€œPlayingā€ board and start looking for new quests. :smiley:

20 Likes

Hi Oliver, welcome!

You probably know about it already, but Iā€™ll mention it to be sure: if youā€™re looking for more games to play, the IFDB is a great place: https://ifdb.org/search?browse

(And of course feel free to ask for game recommendations here in the forum, too!)

If you do decide to write your own at some point, there are lots of helpful people here who can support you with coding advice.

And if I may be so bold as to advertise another forum: thereā€™s also a German-language IF meeting place, which of course does not aim to compete with this one, but rather to complement it. Weā€™d be glad to see you there, too: https://if-forum.org/

13 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m Anna, and Iā€™m pretty new to interactive fiction. Iā€™ve always loved choose-your-own-adventure books and video games with dialogues and choice mechanics (rpgā€™s, mostly). This spring, I found out about this genre by the wikipedia article, actually, which linked me to Galatea and Aisle. I played both of them and loved them. I have enjoyed a lot more since then, my favorites being Bee and Superliminal Vagrant Twin. I am looking into playing more of the classic text adventures but havenā€™t figured yet how to run them on my computer. I have more than a few ideas for a game I might want to make, but would rather read more first to get a good feel of what works well before I attempt my own.

23 Likes

Welcome! If youā€™re consuming IF with an eye toward making your own someday, may I recommend the Club Floyd Transcripts?

Club Floyd started in 2007. The idea behind it is that each week a group of people meet online to cooperatively play a game of interactive fiction. Transcripts were kept for every session, though the site sometimes gets updated sporadically ā€” itā€™s not unheard of for them to update the site once a year, they always (eventually) update.

The transcripts include not only the IF parser input and responses, but also the collaborative conversation and reactions of the group happening in parallel to the gameplay. This can lead to insights you wouldnā€™t necessarily have playing the same game yourself. There are 16 years of transcripts, so obviously pick and choose what may interest you, but I can attest that they provided priceless insight when I was trying to get up to speed a few years ago.

Either way, again, welcome! Feel free to ask us whatever; weā€™re a pretty open bunch. :grin:

11 Likes