Introducing Ourselves

Welcome! If you’re consuming IF with an eye toward making your own someday, may I recommend the Club Floyd Transcripts?

Club Floyd started in 2007. The idea behind it is that each week a group of people meet online to cooperatively play a game of interactive fiction. Transcripts were kept for every session, though the site sometimes gets updated sporadically — it’s not unheard of for them to update the site once a year, they always (eventually) update.

The transcripts include not only the IF parser input and responses, but also the collaborative conversation and reactions of the group happening in parallel to the gameplay. This can lead to insights you wouldn’t necessarily have playing the same game yourself. There are 16 years of transcripts, so obviously pick and choose what may interest you, but I can attest that they provided priceless insight when I was trying to get up to speed a few years ago.

Either way, again, welcome! Feel free to ask us whatever; we’re a pretty open bunch. :grin:

10 Likes

I’ve looked at some of them for games I really enjoy, but I’ll have to look at more of them. From what I’ve seen, I like this community and how small and cozy it feels.

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Kay! I’m a teacher who writes in their spare time, and in the past year or so I’ve become really fascinated with interactive fiction. As a lover of video games and writing, stumbling upon what was previously a mostly unknown world (outside of maybe Zork and a few others) was really exciting. I’ve written a little test game in Ink, and am currently working with a programmer who works in Godot to make something a lot fancier then I’d probably be capable of on my own (though like with all complex games it’s slow going). In my research about interactive fiction in general, the urge to make a Parser game in Inform has really bit me though, so I thought I’d join this forum to see the ideas and advice gathered here over the years and maybe ask a few questions myself!

19 Likes

Yay! You’ve come to the right place. We’ve got plenty of people here who love to help out with Inform, and a number of non-programmers who have gone on to write award-winning parser games. Welcome!

10 Likes

Welcome Kay!

That’s quite the backlog to sift through. Many, many interesting discussions on game structure and puzzle construction, and even more technical help for basic programming issues to nifty tricks.
When you have questions of your own, people here are eager and quick to help.

Enjoy!

9 Likes

Hi, Kay. Welcome to the forum. I’m quite new here myself, and like you I was bitten by the make-a-game-in-Inform bug.

I’m making mine in something called “PunyInform”, which is an offshoot of Inform that’s good for making games that target old school computers. It’s been a blast. While I have a background in computer programming, I absolutely think a non-programmer could make an excellent game in Inform, and in fact many have done so.

The people on this forum are especially open and welcoming, and have been a huge help to me as I finish up my first game. I’m sure you’ll have no end of assistance with any questions you have along the way. Have fun!

15 Likes

Hi Kay,

Welcome to Intfiction. This is a resource rich and friendly place to study and write IF.

I’m looking forward to your work.

2 Likes

Hello there. I’m Brian. As you can tell from my accent, I’m from Texas. Somehow I only just now found this forum, but I’ve enjoyed IF (on and off, I must admit) since a couple of decades ago, when I was poking around with QBasic and then TADS. I made an incredible [sic] escape room game when I was thirteen or so where you had to escape from a bathroom by looking everywhere for digits to the lock code, including behind the wallpaper and on the underside of the cap to a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. It’s all downhill from those dizzying heights of good design.

I’m especially a fan of puzzles, and I made an iPhone logic puzzle game with a friend a while back that got inexplicably popular in France for exactly three days, which is a puzzle in itself. I enjoyed receiving help requests in French that I couldn’t read. The game is long gone now, because Apple apparently wants you to update things at the same rate that they do, and ain’t nobody got time for that. Speaking of things I have no time for, I also have a rather neglected podcast called Brain Drop Puzzles where I share math/logic, word, and lateral thinking puzzles.

In more related news, I’ve recently enjoyed looking through the IF comps of the last several years, and reading about all the games and playing through a few. I did some voting in the recent IFComp, and enjoyed all the talent on display. It got me inspired to give writing another go, so I picked up Inform 7 and am working through learning that. Glad to see a good community here.

25 Likes

That is funny. And quizically weird at the same time. Perhaps you should do a survey?

Welcome to the Forum.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. TADS is still a good system to work with.

6 Likes

I’m not sure where I would start at this point, but I kind of like preserving the mystery behind it. If I got actual data, it would probably turn out to be something rather mundane, like a Parisian city gnome that installed it on people’s phones while they were sleeping.

Yes, I debated about starting there, but I remember next to nothing about it anyway, and I was interested to see how Inform worked, so that’s where I’m landing at the the moment.

Thanks for the welcome!

5 Likes

Well, the little bot said I should introduce myself. It pointed me down a dark passage and I ended up here, apparently.

Hey there, I am Jim and by day I poke on computers and make things go at a large software company. By night, I try and focus on one of the several ideas floating around in my pea brain.

I’ve been playing assorted IF and related games since the Apple II days. Today, if I give myself time to game, I am usually playing something off of ifarchive.org or binging on Nethack or something similar.

My interests vary, but I have been recently jotting down notes and trying small implementations for a game/story based during the gold rush era here in California (and nearby west). One area I am trying to nail down is scope - both of the story and the world to be implemented. Hopefullly, I will get time to focus on this, though the idea I saw about “a room a day for a year” sounds like it might be a good approach.

16 Likes

Welcome! A parser game with 365 rooms sounds like a challenge. Infocom’s A Mind Forever Voyaging had 178.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree :slight_smile: I think the idea of structure is appealing given focus can fleeting at times.

2 Likes

Just make sure the project doesn’t get killed by combinatorial explosion: that’s what happened to Carolyn VanEseltine’s 18 Rooms to Home, which started with the conceit of adding a single room per installment but quickly grew out of hand.

2 Likes

hello, everybody! my name is sascha and i’m new to interactive fiction. while i was surfing the web i stumbled across Twine being in a links section on somebodies neocities. when i was a teenager i used to play indie CYOA games late into the night for hours!
i plan on playing more and making my own, but i’m not sure where to start so that’s why i’m here. i’m not sure if there’s many games that utilize a more social aspect of it (multiple people voting for a choice) though.

nice to meet you all! :smiley:

14 Likes

I’ve been instructed by the bot to introduce myself, so -

My name is Brigid (or you can use my username, they/them pronouns though), and I’m an academic-turned-artist-turned-writer, currently focused on IF. I came across IF through art, and thought “I could do that, how hard could it be?” And now I’m here. I work in Twine, and currently have three work-in-progress games on itch.io (Event Horizon, lost birds, and CLOSEDLOOP). As if that wasn’t enough, I’m also working on an entry for the 2023 Spring Thing. I write almost exclusively in the realm of science fiction, and I’ve got a lot to learn about writing and IF in general.

16 Likes

Fast friends! Curious to see what your SpringThing entry will be!

6 Likes

Hey Everyone,

My name is Chris. I’ve been interested in interactive fiction ever since I read Choose-Your-Own-Adventure stories as a kid. In the 80s, I was always excited by any software that made it seem like you could interact with a computer naturally. I eagerly typed in Eliza games out of Compute! magazine and the like. I had heard about Zork before playing it, so although I thought it was a cool game at the time, I think the anticipation of a game that you could communicate with in normal English was even more fun. Recently, I started reading a lot of Adult Twine fiction and was impressed by its possibilities, so wanted to write my own IF story. I am currently working on a story called the Bad Patch. Being a computer scientist, after messing around with Twine, I thought, “How hard could it be to code something like that?” Typical of such famous last words, I then wasted a few months creating a wheel that somewhat rotates under the happy delusion that no one had seen one before. It’s available at www.frise.org. I am now back to working on my story some more. I am looking forward to interacting with members of the interactive fiction community and checking out stories people have written!

14 Likes