Introducing Ourselves

I’m Leandro. I played my first parser game over at Quest in November last year, and I’ve been hooked since. I’m currently making my first game in Adventuron :smiley:

11 Likes

Welcome, fellow Adventuron-user!

2 Likes

Welcome! I look forward to your new game.

2 Likes

You can certainly receive generous help and advice here, but if you’re currently working on your first Adventuron project, I highly recommend you join the Adventuron Discord server if you haven’t already.

5 Likes

Hi,
I’m Olaf and I think I’ve sufficiently procrastinated my introduction here now. (I recently finished my fourth IF and submitted it to SpringThing).

I grew up with a TSR-80, but I don’t think we had Zork back then. I do remember typing out “Hunt the Wumpus” from a book, though. My mother taught me a bit of Basic and the first game I wanted to build was going to be about going into the basement. I didn’t get very far with it.
My first Infocom adventure game was Starcross on the C64. Thanks to Eatenbyagrue, I now know that it wasn’t just because of my rudimentary knowledge of English that I didn’t get very far with that either.

I’m probably more author than player, more parser than choice-based and more story than puzzle.
I really appreciate the way people interact with each other here in this community!

20 Likes

That would be an interesting game written from the perspective of an apprehensive child! Sounds like it might be fun to write, as well!

Welcome (officially, I guess, lol) to the community! I have not worked my way to Wry yet, but I’ll get there. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello I’m worm, also named Emily; I made an account here because I recently submitted a game to the Spring Thing and figured I should make an account here; plus I’d been planning to do that for a while, just my number one talent is procrastinating.

17 Likes

You’ll fit right in then, lol. You could smell the keyboards smoking around here near the end of March!

Again, I haven’t worked my way to The Light in the Forest, but I definitely will get there!

Welcome to Intfiction!

1 Like

Hi, intfiction dot org, Hungry Reader here!

I submitted a game for the Spring Thing called The Hole Man. This is my first IF game, but I’ve been making experimental games as far back as 1995, in now-defunct engines like HyperCard.

I was introduced to this community by my longtime friends Steph Cherrywell and Bitter Karella, but I’m sure it’ll be a long time before I can stand side by side here with such giants! My fiction is often categorized as “new weird”, and I’ve done a lot of work in the creepypasta arena too; my most popular story is “The Game Of Mush”.

Glad to meet you all! You’ll probably learn a lot more about me if you play my game; don’t we all pour ourselves into our work here?

15 Likes

Being a Dad and writing IF at the same time is a challenge :grin: . All kids are an inspiration. It’s just that some are rockets and others are kites. It’s never clear how many launches they are going to need!

5 Likes

That’s fine, mine too. I may finally get around to replying and welcoming you later. :wink:

4 Likes

Hello to everyone. My name is John, and I’m an if-aholic.
I’m 66 years old, from Des Moines, Iowa, USA.

All of my feeble writing efforts are in the database and archive.

I have been lurking for a while and really enjoy the community here!

John Knudsen

20 Likes

Forgot to introduce myself. Emo (Eh-mo), 36, and I usually wake up 100% human, if Eastern European – then I sit on a chair in an office, all downhill from there. I hold a job that sounds good on paper, got it because I sounded good on paper to them. Cue impostor syndrome every waking hour.

I dream of getting credit/opportunities not because of facile first impressions or sounding good on paper, but because of merit. (Need to do something about the merit part.) I dream of managing that through interactive writing, or any writing, really. ADD, depression, anxiety sort of getting in my way. (The first one seems likely to have been the original culprit, besides life stuff, though getting an actual objective diagnosis in my country is virtually impossible.)

Besides my job, I’ve taught a semester of SF literature every year for the past 6 years. It is the most rewarding, real thing that I have ever experienced. The rub (otherwise I’d be doing this full-time, no doubt): I don’t even have a Bachelor’s. I thought the course up with two friends, one is a bona fide teacher at the university, so we co-teach. Officially, though, I’m just a hanger-on.

That good-on-paper job? Game writer. It’s one of the most ironically loaded “game writer” titles in the world, I promise you. The studio didn’t have that position before, and the games we make (we’re an offshoot of the studio that makes Total War) don’t really require it. But they needed someone to offload the job to, since they had problems with coping on their last project. Enter me – lied about graduating on my resume, had a near-miss on beginning a Creative Writing degree in the States, came off a freelance career of translating/editing fiction, have had intense interest in narrative in games for years (though little more). Good on paper. Anyway.

Where IF started for me – gamebooks. My country had an incredibly vibrant (and innovative) gamebook scene in the 90s. (Much of the “originality” turned out to be thinly-veiled plagiarism of Western board games and TTRPGs, but hey, it did the job for kid-me.) Then played Planescape: Torment and Sanitarium, mind blown wide open. “Programming” scared me, though, and I didn’t find a way to translate that enthusiasm.
2011 the itch began anew, Choice-based stuff Porpentine, Inkle’s stuff, a few of the Choice of Games’ things, Fallen London, Fallen London, Fallen London (later Sunless Sea); also IFComp’s and occasionally things I’ve come across on itch.io. Also Emily Short’s blog, zarf’s blog, Jon Ingold’s talks, anyone’s talks that were even tangentially related to the itch. Kept playing CRPG’s, mostly disappointing to one degree or another, until Disco Elysium. In the past 2 years or so my desire to make something of myself has grown proportionally to my self-doubt (I’m old to be just starting out, aren’t I, etc, etc) and other emotional issues, pandemic-worsened. Enthusiasm still not translated. Holding out hope yet, what else can I do.

Anyway. This was very rambling. Still, it felt nice to write it out. Thanks for this community.

21 Likes

I wrote my first game at age 50, and I snort at anyone who says that’s old to be starting out. My grandmother graduated from college at age 70 (and lied about having a degree for decades before that), so we may be late bloomers in my family, but we bloom. And it’s nice to see you’re blooming, too.

18 Likes

Wonderful post. You ARE a writer. Very creative.

Welcome

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m a python programmer and computational linguistics student. Learning Inform 7 at the moment, and kind of interested in learning how to possibly “connect” Inform (or TADS) with some additional logic in python that pulls from python libraries. Glad to join this community!

19 Likes

Hi! I’m an animation student that just found out about Twine around half a year ago.
Unfortunatly I suck at creative writing but I’m trying my hand at code.

I’ve been in some forums in the past to find out about this and that, but I finally decided to join for real.
I’m still learning and I’m glad there’s this helpful community.

13 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Kel, a professor of interactive fiction and game design at Champlain College in Vermont (US). I created the new IF major, which debuts next fall, and now primarily teach IF classes, but have also really enjoyed teaching game design.

My career in games started back in the 90s at Atari, and continued through designing and writing for Elder Scrolls Online, briefly for 38 Studios before it crashed and burned (womp womp), and had great fun working on Game of Thrones: Ascent for Disruptor Beam, in conjunction with GRRM and HBO. (“I’m going to repopulate the world with all the missing trans and queer people,” I said. “Okay,” they said. This never happens in games.)

I’m also a published writer of short fiction and essays; some of my stuff you can grab online in Asimov’s and Strange Horizons, and/or in print in old mags or a handful of Best of anthologies. Mostly SF/F, although there’s some erotica in there too.

These days besides teaching I run a handful of studios with students, working on all kinds of cool projects like TTRPG stuff (http://adventureinc.co) and mobile games (currently still undisclosed shhhhhh).

I also am all about representation in games, both sides of the screen. I founded a nonprofit studio for underrepresented developers (http://radmagpie.org) and then dumped it in the very capable hands of the folx I started it with, because I’m kind of a serial entrepreneur. That said, it’s still a huge focus of what I do, and I’m particularly interested in furthering the work of those of you fighting uphill both ways in the snow.

Transmasc nonbinary, super queer and generally enthusiastic about those topics too.

Nice to meet you all!

19 Likes

Very curious about the IF major and IF in the academy generally. Welcome!

4 Likes

Thank you, and absolutely… maybe we start another thread or something?

5 Likes