Introducing Ourselves

Hi Matt!

Yeah I tried to log-in using my old login details on here but it wouldn’t accept it for some reason.

I think there were a couple of weird things, such as if you had a space in your username, it may have been converted to an underscore.

We can merge your accounts if you’re interested, or some people like starting fresh.

1 Like

Hi, Hipolito here. My IF fandom started with Infocom games, then with Photopia and Slouching Towards Bedlam. I found out about IFComp in 2005, and have judged it most years since then.

I’ve wanted to compete in it, too, but kept putting it off and promising myself “next year.” Now IFComp’s having its 25th anniversary, and I decided I would finally compete in this banner year. I’m excited to finally do so.

Thanks for all you do, love all you guys. I’m happy to serve as a beta tester if anyone needs one.

5 Likes

My home site’s CYS, but I have been hanging around ADRIFT lately and playing IFComp entries.
I played some parser games a few years ago too before I found CYS and EndMaster.
I was on mobile only then, so it’s far more fun now.

2 Likes

Hello. Discovered interactive fiction in 2016, when I got curious about creating my own games. Then real life happened, and my interest dropped off, until recently. Hope to learn some cool things, and maybe actually write my own text adventure. More of a lurker than a poster, so forgive me if I seem to disappear after this post.

(Also had an account here before, but for some reason it disappeared into the void, possibly thanks to the forum migration. Didn’t post anything with that account, anyway, so not much of a loss.)

6 Likes

Hello, Felix here! I sporadically tool around in Twine and recently discovered Inform 7 and started digging into it–I’m really liking it and have found it much more intuitive than other systems I’ve tried in the past! I’m hoping I actually stick it out and finally set up a few the stories I’ve had bouncing around in my head.

3 Likes

Hello, all! I was introduced to Inform in 2002. I loved it pretty quickly because I was familiar with the Zork and other text adventures from the 1980s but despite that I’ve never finished any story I’ve begun. I recently re-downloaded the software after it was mentioned in an article I was reading about programming. Now I am determined to complete just one story project in my lifetime. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone. Astraea here. I’m 50 years old and work for a game company where I am an Internet plumber. As a result, the only game development I do is on my own time unfortunately. Glad to see the force is still strong in our community!

6 Likes

Hello! I’m Aly. :slight_smile:

I discovered twine from an online friend and have been playing around with it for a few days now. I’m a student, an artist, and an aspiring writer with an interest in fantasy and rpg games. I know zero about coding, but I’m hoping to learn more.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Kate-- a doc and former programmer in the bad old days of BBS’s and a million non-standard BASICs and then the birth years of the WWW: CSS, HTML, XML, Java, and so on. I gave up that lyfe to try and actually interact with people, but I never forgot Wishbringer, A Mind Forever Voyaging, Zork . . . every year I play the IFComp entries and tell myself that one day I’ll actually do the work, learn Inform, and write something–probably interactive medical education modules for residents and medical students, if I’m being honest, maybe with a little plot to spice things up. I’m having fun revisiting code with Inform (once upon a time I knew TADS) and dreaming in new syntax. Anyway, more information than anyone wanted. Nice to meet you all.

10 Likes

Hi everyone, John Ziegler (late thirties) from near St. Louis, Missouri. I’m new to programming entirely (as in starting to teach myself from scratch some months ago), with almost all of my text-adventuring background coming from the Unnkulian Unventure series. I’m in the middle of trying to write a TADS 3 game myself; hopefully I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew…

10 Likes

Welcome to the new folks! Hope you will be very happy here.

1 Like

I’m a bit of an old timer, but I’ve recently revamped my personal website, and added a new dedicated IF section, including outlining my history in the field. From early text adventures in 1980, through 1990s MUDs and up to today.

In case it’s of interest here’s a link for an IF reintroduction to me.

IF has become an increasingly important part of my life, and I am really enjoying continuing to learn how to craft games. Designing and writing IF fills a much needed creative gap, and is something I enjoy hugely.

9 Likes

Ah. Perhaps I should also introduce myself since I came out of nowhere and started posting a lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been into text adventures and interactive fiction for a long time. I think my first text adventure was in the mid-90s with McMurphy’s Mansion on some horrible old computer with a black and green monochrome monitor. But these days I like anything that is an interactive story. From Twine games, to actual game books (that I read on Kindle), to FMV adventure games, to stuff like Detroit: Become Human and Until Dawn.

Some of you may know me from various places around the net. I used to visit IFmud occasionally under the name Goku, and also using this user name on the Twine discord server. I also made a save system for the HTML version of Ink that’s on their github.

I’ve worked on various projects that haven’t really gone anywhere over the years, but lately I’ve made my own hyperlink engine that’s similar to Twine and Ink and I think it turned out pretty well. I’m currently writing a game in it and I’m pretty excited about it.

I know quite a lot of programming languages (I’ve been programming since '92-ish), but I’m probably strongest in javascript and python. I’ve spent about half a year messing with Twine, so I don’t mind helping people out with it if I have an answer. :slight_smile:

Anyway, that’s me in a nutshell.

8 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m Toadheart. I am a (as of today :tada:) 26 year old student from Switzerland. Next to being a student, it’s my job to help out all sorts of digital projects within the humanities departments of my university. One of those projects happens to be IF, which I’m super excited about :grin:

I’ve spent the last decade as a bit of an artist errant. It took me a lot of experimentation and soul-searching to be able to settle on a style and medium I truly connected to, and then more soul-searching to figure out that this style is called “interactive fiction”. Right now, I just want to write a big bunch of detective mysteries.

I ended up feeling quite alienated from most of the game developer communities I was in, so I’ve decided to make an effort to get in touch with more people whose creations I can relate to. So here I am :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Happy Birthday :birthday: and welcome to the forum! :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m looking forward to the detective mysteries, that’s one of my favourite genres!

4 Likes

Hello. My name is Psi-Opera, and I’m learning Inform7.
I have no prior experience with programming at all, and little with writing.
I don’t really have interest in interactive fiction as I currently understand it, but I think it’d be possible to make a killer CRPG using Inform. I’m just taking my time going through it’s documentation and learning the various tools.
I’m here to learn from my betters as I chip away at my project, as well as familiarize myself with other works in the medium.

5 Likes

Hello all,

I have been following interactive ficition competitions, releases and the community in general since 2012, but I haven’t really participated. For 8 years now, I’ve been amping myself for creating something, anything, but nothing’s happened yet. I tend to social isolation and anxiety when it comes to sharing/developing my own personal interests and the results thereof, something which curiously doesn’t happen if I follow other people’s cues. I would like to address that by feeling more like an active part in this community, which also shares IF as a personal passion or at least interest.

My daily work is with language, though rarely in a creative capacity (though I’ve edited quite a bit of creative writing on the side) and my preferred, maybe I should say exclusive, development environment is Twine, in its more fiddly variants, like Sugarcube, about which I know a good deal.

In everything, my general impulse is try to provide help to my betters, in this case, at trying to write/set something up in Twine, so don’t hesitate to ask.

Best,
S.

9 Likes

Hello! I’m mermoose. I remember playing Zork with my sister when we were kids and we both loved it. From time to time over the years, I’ve searched out interactive fiction to play, and I’ve thought to myself, I should try to learn how to write that.

Enter the current pandemic and a lot of staying at home, and I decided now’s the time to give it a try. My programming experience is very limited, but I’m having fun exploring Inform 7 and trying things out. A few google searches led me to helpful threads on this forum, so I figured I’d join. Looking forward to learning more! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi all!

I’m Rovarsson (well, that’s how I call myself on all IF-related sites). Greetings from the little weird planet of Belgium.

I’ve been playing IF off and on for about 15 years now. It seems that my involvement might be a bit deeper this time around. I registered at the ADRIFT Forum, The Interactive Fiction Community, I’ve been playtesting for the past 6 months now and I’m in month 4 of working on my own game.

Hopefully this will be a place of good and helpful discussion where I can learn stuff and be amazed by the awesomeness of other commenters.

Take care of yourselves, stay indoors and (re)play ‘Worlds Apart’ by Suzanne Britton. (my first IF-love)

Rovarsson

8 Likes