Introducing Ourselves

Hi! I’m Avery. Just found the site a couple of days ago. It looks cool. I’ve been playing and writing IF games for a few years now, so it’s cool to fins another community full of fun, IF loving people. Hello! :blush:

3 Likes

Hi Avery! Welcome to the group. Always glad to hear another has been infected by the IF bug. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Greetings and salutations. I’ve been writing interactive fiction for as long as I can remember. In 2016, I’ve decided to make a career out of it. and…and here I am working on my 4th project. :slight_smile: Glad to discover this community!

3 Likes

We’re glad to have you here, @Avery_Moore and @Ianic! I look forward to hearing about your projects.

1 Like

Damn, that’s a really short memory. :yum:

edited to " in 2016…" In French it reads much better :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

By your reply and your profile I’m guessing you’re a French speaker. Do you know there is also a French interactive fiction community? (Quite small comparatively to the English one, unfortunately.)

If yes, then I don’t remember seeing you and you are welcome anytime. If no, well, you’re still welcome anytime! :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you Nathanaël, @Natrium729 I’ve never visited the site before today, but it’s no surprise, I spend most of my time writing, editing and designing UI and I’m rarely on internet.( Im part of the no-facebook never-online community :sweat_smile: ) I’m presently almost done with my latest project. ( now in beta ) …so a bit more adventurous… spying on what people are doing. :blush:

I didn’t know about it. I can only read French as from a very foggy and blurry understanding distance :smiley:

Anyway I have just joined there to say hello and stay updated with the work of our neighbors. ^.^

I guess it’s time for me to write a small introduction, too, having finally started to regularly using this forum.

Stian is my real name, and a very common one in Norway, though not so much anywhere else. I have been able to use it as my nick on every IF related web site, so probably not many Norwegians are into IF. I’m currently doing a PhD in computational linguistics and have a particular fondness for progressive rock from the 1970s.

I first registered here in 2013 when I was writing a bachelor’s thesis on IF, specifically the Inform 7 language, in linguistics. Back then I was slightly intrigued by the concept of parser IF, but never got further into any games than halfway through Bronze.

My proper foray into the world of IF came five months ago, when I stumbled upon an announcement about the newly finished Cragne Manor and thought I need to play this!

Of course, before that I would have to play Anchorhead, and I started it and it was absolutely brilliant and I got absolutely stuck. Putting Anchorhead on hold for a while I started a series of simpler games to learn the ropes better, and eventually found myself thoroughly enthralled by and utterly addicted to parser IF. By now, I have played through a bit over 50 games, including Anchorhead and Cragne Manor.

Apart from those two, my absolute favourites so far have been Babel, Counterfeit Monkey, Perdition’s Flames and Violet.

5 Likes

Glad you’re here, @Stian. Anyone who can make it all the way through Anchorhead and Cragne Manor is hardcore!

2 Likes

Hello. I am Dettus.
I am currently in the process of writing an interpreter for Magnetic Scrolls Textadventures, such as “The Pawn” and “The Guild of Thieves”.

Along the way, I am also writing a document, detailing my findings about reverse engineering the original data structures.

3 Likes

Hi, everyone! My name is Roman.
I am an IF writer and an app developer. My team and I created an iOS and Android app which included our own IF stories. There are now around 5 stories there. I really don’t like the dialogue-based IF apps that are so common now, where it’s always a story of you helping someone to avoid trouble via text or something like that. We do a real stories with narrative and many characters.

So far they apps are not in English but now we have tested all the glitches and in June we will release an English version.

I think IF has big future and I am hoping to find new authors for our team here.

2 Likes

Hi, Roman. Welcome to the community!
Just curious- what language is your app and what is it called?

1 Like

Hi, Marshal =)
Thanks!
The app name is going to be Gamebook. At the moment it’s only available in Russian on iOS under the name Книга Игр

But since it’s only in Russian it might not be available in other regions yet.

1 Like

I’m seeing it in the App Store from here in the UK.

Welcome!

1 Like

It’s nice to know that! Thanks. English version will be out in around a week.
We had to develop our own editor to create the stories the way we wanted but didn’t think about translations before hand) so all of the translation has been done scene by scene by interpreters inside the editor while we are working on making it able to export a normal excel file))

2 Likes

Hi,

I first started playing IF back in the 80s. After a couple of experiments trying to write IF (the less said about that they better); I stuck with reverse engineering games and systems to try and work out how they worked and how to run the games on modern (or less modern) systems.

I did a lot of reverse engineering on Scott Adams and Brian Howarth games BitD, have written my own engine for them for the BBC Micro, an interpreter and dumper for GAC, an interpreter and dumper for Adventurescape and am now manually disassembling and commenting random BBC Micro games.

4 Likes

Wandering Novice, just wandering on in…

Was on the old forum that closed back in July, just finally dusting off my old adventure projects to try and get them off the ground again.

See you on the boards I guess…

2 Likes

Welcome back!

(The old forum didn’t really close, we just changed to different software. Your old account should be around if you want us to merge with this one.)

1 Like