Introducing Ourselves

I definitely felt the same way before asking my first question, but it’s amazing how quickly the immediate welcome was able to dispel that daunting feeling…

…Even if I have been too busy binging the Inform documentation to be particularly active, ehe.

Good luck with the jump from Twine to parser if you decide to make it! That’s exactly what I’m trying to do right now, actually, so I can definitely say there’s something super energizing about the process.

11 Likes

My moniker is Thelgor and it’s a name I’ve used in gaming for some time now even if it’s not always been publicly. I was introduced to IF many years ago and have loved it from the start. I cut my teeth on Infocom games. I think Hitchhiker’s Guide was my first one but it’s been a while and the memory of so long ago is not sharp. I’ve never felt comfortable enough with my creation skills to write one but I’ve toyed around with the Inform engines (6 & 7) and always follow the competitions.

I’m currently reading Aaron Reed’s “50 Years of Text Games” and am loving it.

20 Likes

That feeling is why I waited until I was 50 to write a game, and now I’m kicking myself for it, because writing games is so fun and I could have been doing it long before if I’d just taken the risk. And this community is helpful and gently honest, so if you want to take the plunge, you’ll have a whole team at your back to help guide you. Not trying to pressure you; just saying that if you ask for help on any aspect of an endeavor, you’ll get it, and you might be surprised what you can do.

13 Likes

To be fair, the tools to create games weren’t as accessible pre-2000. Tools did exist, but the internet hadn’t quite coalesced to support them as well.

I remember having EA’s commercial Adventure Construction Set (which was actually more like RPG Construction Set) and thinking it was the future.

8 Likes

Hi, everybody.

I just remembered this board from many years ago (2010, although back then I was only active in one thread. My old username was “Blinx”, alas I don’t have access to the email account anymore or even remember which one it was).

My name is Mark Bauermeister. I’m 34 years old and a software engineer by trade.

My first computers were my older brother’s trusty C64 and a Pentium I 60 MHz.
My first and most memorable IF experiences were the original Zork, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, The Hobbit, The Colour of Magic and Magnetic Scrolls’ Wonderland.

I recently started getting involved in the IF community again, but this time not solely as a player but also as a writer (or Implementer, as Infocom used to call them).

My girlfriend, a very talented sound engineer (who won’t see much work on this project, although he’s also a very talented coder) and I are currently running a Kickstarter campaign for our first commercial game. Excitingly, said game has already raised 538 euros within the first 24 hours.

16 Likes

Hello, Mark!

Welcome back!

Just going over your old post. Do you still have the demo file, A_room_by_the_fire.gblorb ?

The rapidshare link in your original post is dead. I’d love to give it (or a later version) a try if possible.

Regardless, congrats on your preliminary kickstartee results!

7 Likes

I dunno how complete this version is (Says I uploaded it in 2012) and if it even contained the graphics and audio I added later, but I found this .gblorb on my Google Drive.

I’ve become quite a bit more apt in terms of writing and coding since then (and far more critical of my past work), but here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4HbmIw0kk7FVXNXMmw4cVNfdDg/view?resourcekey=0-2Ae4ueCRlHNBkhu7kWvvDw

10 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

You’re very welcome.
I dunno if I’m allowed to post a Kickstarter link, but my new project is called “OceanThrill Murder Mystery” and I post all updates on Kickstarter.

3 Likes

I would definitely start a new thread for your Kickstarter project. I would recommend using the Project Announcements category of the forum.

As for posting a link, new users are initially restricted from posting links until they’ve completed a base level of reading and posting. This is to prevent drive-by spamming. You could get around it by posting the raw URL in a code block like you did above, or you could peruse the forum for a bit to gain that access. It really doesn’t take much engagement to gain that ability.

6 Likes

Hey folks, nice to meet y’all, I’m Jasper!

I’m not sure why I haven’t signed up around these parts before, cause I’ve been writing IF for like 3 or 4 years now haha. I mostly do stuff in Twine, though of course I’m always telling myself this is the month I’m gonna teach myself Inform, haha. I’ve always got a few different projects cooking at any given moment. In addition to The Big One (my extremely beefy text based RPG project :upside_down_face:), I’m currently working on an undersea horror game for IFComp.

Outside of IF, I am a lover of all things horror, I play a lot of TTRPGs (and occasionally write some), and I play so many video games I’m currently studying to make them!

Hoping to take this IFComp season as an opportunity to get out of my little Tumblr bubble and get more involved with the writer community on here :blush:

22 Likes

Hiiiiii Jasper!!!
So nice to see you hereeee!!
:partying_face:

4 Likes

Hello, everyone!

You can call me CSR! I’m far from fluent in English, so please be patient with me. I found the IF world about a year and half ago I believe, but it caught my attention straight away. Even though there is still a lot to explore and learn (I haven’t been able to touch a parser game and know what I’m supposed to do yet), I thought it wouldn’t hurt if I got myself a little more in touch with the community. I might end up a lurker, but I’m sure it will be interesting anyways.

I plan on writing my own IFs later on (I actually was a SeedComp! participant, in both the planting and sprouting rounds, and submitted the “While Rome Burns” game, in which I tried to fiddle (ha!) keeping a writing pace and learning code enough to make a well-rounded game and failed miserably :sweat_smile:), but as for this year is a extremely busy one I’ll stick with being just a player for now until I can spare time enough to really learn the basics of coding and dedicate myself to writing well.

It’s good to meet you all!

22 Likes

Hi CSR! Nice to see you on board!

4 Likes

@CSR Let me assure you that your English is not bad at all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for being so kind :slight_smile: I’ve got to admit I checked it on translator a couple times though (deleted it by accident :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

You’re doing a great job! What is your native language if you don’t mind me asking?

4 Likes

Your English is better than many native speakers. Stay vigilant with your writing… and welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: My native language is Portuguese, specifically the Brazilian one

5 Likes

Thank you very much! I think I’ll like it here a lot :smile:

3 Likes