Introducing Ourselves

Hi! I’m an animation student that just found out about Twine around half a year ago.
Unfortunatly I suck at creative writing but I’m trying my hand at code.

I’ve been in some forums in the past to find out about this and that, but I finally decided to join for real.
I’m still learning and I’m glad there’s this helpful community.

13 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Kel, a professor of interactive fiction and game design at Champlain College in Vermont (US). I created the new IF major, which debuts next fall, and now primarily teach IF classes, but have also really enjoyed teaching game design.

My career in games started back in the 90s at Atari, and continued through designing and writing for Elder Scrolls Online, briefly for 38 Studios before it crashed and burned (womp womp), and had great fun working on Game of Thrones: Ascent for Disruptor Beam, in conjunction with GRRM and HBO. (“I’m going to repopulate the world with all the missing trans and queer people,” I said. “Okay,” they said. This never happens in games.)

I’m also a published writer of short fiction and essays; some of my stuff you can grab online in Asimov’s and Strange Horizons, and/or in print in old mags or a handful of Best of anthologies. Mostly SF/F, although there’s some erotica in there too.

These days besides teaching I run a handful of studios with students, working on all kinds of cool projects like TTRPG stuff (http://adventureinc.co) and mobile games (currently still undisclosed shhhhhh).

I also am all about representation in games, both sides of the screen. I founded a nonprofit studio for underrepresented developers (http://radmagpie.org) and then dumped it in the very capable hands of the folx I started it with, because I’m kind of a serial entrepreneur. That said, it’s still a huge focus of what I do, and I’m particularly interested in furthering the work of those of you fighting uphill both ways in the snow.

Transmasc nonbinary, super queer and generally enthusiastic about those topics too.

Nice to meet you all!

19 Likes

Very curious about the IF major and IF in the academy generally. Welcome!

4 Likes

Thank you, and absolutely… maybe we start another thread or something?

5 Likes

Sure! I need to get something posted this morning but would happily either make or support a thread in the afternoon or evening.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Jenny Kleidona from Thessaloniki, Greece.

Although I was born in the 80s, I became familiar with Interactive Fiction quite recently as an undergraduate student. Yeah, I know… I’m trying hard to make up for all the lost time!

In my diploma thesis I examined Nick Montfort’s Ad Verbum and Adam Cadre’s Photopia drawing on my background in both Linguistics and English Studies. I’m currently working on my PhD, which also focuses on Interactive Fiction and its relation to space, identity and agency. Apart from the narrative itself, I am also interested in the source code, so part of my PhD draws on Critical Code Studies (Mark C. Marino, if you ever read this, thank you so much for the new horizons you have opened up for us researchers in the humanities!).

Really nice to be able to exchange ideas and experiences with you all!

Cheers!

Jenny

23 Likes

Awesome idea! I’m currently working on my PhD on interactive fiction and I would be really happy to be part of this.

5 Likes

I’m XYZZY Award-winning* author Jason Love. I started making silly, incomplete games as a child in 1992. I made silly, incomplete websites as a teenager in 1997. I made silly, incomplete IF as a college student in 2001… and for some reason I still submitted it to the IF Comp. I’ve been active in—or at least, adjacent to?—the IF community ever since!

* (My award is shared with at least 84 other authors, technically…)

15 Likes

Hiiiii

I’m Joey (also go by Jess; no preference; will accept any and all pronouns).

I’m a hard science fiction enthusiast and writer, and have been building a world in my head for a while. I’ve been coding since I was ten, and also started writing music around the same time.

I take too long to make graphics, but I’ve been told that I’m great at delivering a story. I still enjoy making games more than writing book-fiction, though, so I fell in love with IF as a teen. I felt like I got into it long after everyone had left, as a lot of the games and tools were decades-old when I found them, but then I came across this site earlier this year!

You people are awesome, and I’m so happy to see these kinds of games and stories thriving! I don’t post much; I’ve been lurking in the shadows mostly, because I’m shy.

A lot of the IF games I’ve tried to make haven’t survived to release, because it seems I’m a bit too ambitious with my ideas and vision, and it takes too long to wrastle Inform 7 and TADS 3 into doing what I need them to for a really simple task (not their faults; I have a lot of weird ideas to make). However, I noticed a lot of my game ideas have a lot of mechanics and world properties in common, so I have a remedy for my situation: The Jess Adventure Core! It’s a Java library I’ve set out to create for myself! I’m not sure how useful it will be for other people, but the plan is use it for my weird ideas, and make an easier development platform for them. I’m really fascinated by games with really deep simulation, and want to try to bring a bit of that to my future stories, but also give the player the necessary tools to navigate these worlds comfortably, without drowning in tedium.

Also: I have severe ADHD, so I have a tendency to lose steam often, but I’ve noticed that if I’m working on something that unites multiple projects, then I can stick with it for years at a time! Hopefully I can do that with my Java-based IF library, as it will be the foundation for a lot of my work, going forward!

Happy to be here!

20 Likes

Oh, just another TDAH here.

4 Likes

Oh hi… introsuctions huh?
.ᵒᵏ ᵒᵏ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵃⁿ ᵗʰᶦˢ ʳᵉᵈ…

I am Rereddi.
Reddi or reddy if you prefer.
:relieved:

12 Likes

Welcome!

– press any key to continue –

5 Likes

[presses enter]

A giant meat hand suddenly grabs you and whisks you away!

6 Likes

NOOOOoooooᵒᵒᵒᵒ… :boom:

4 Likes

Hi,
At 73 I’m a little late coming to Twine. On the plus side I have been a freelance writer of poetry, short stories and articles for a little over 50 years. I have been experimenting with Twine Harlowe 3 and made a couple of short presentations of well known poetry, Rudyard Kiplings Just So Stories and Abstract Images I worked with in Photoshop etc. Just to get the hang of Twine really. I used HAL to enable the poems to be played as audio files.

I admit to having robbed many ideas from this excellent forum.

I turned a very short story into an interactive fiction with a couple of outcomes and with variables used to show morale of the main character. Again, more of an experiment into the possibilities really.

I am currently writing a sci-fi novel using Twine as a means of presentation without the interactive option of selecting choices. Just a straight novel really. The first three chapters are completed in draft form.

Anyway, if you wish to see the items mentioned above, they are on my website at www.everley.link and I would appreciate any feedback. On the website click the “Live Games and Presentations” link and select items from the menu. Feel free to explore the rest of the site. It has poetry, short stories, articles and various other topics that you may find of interest.

Apologies for this rather lengthy introduction.

Best Wishes
Mike

22 Likes

Always nice to see more poetry lovers here. Clearly you’re part of the stealth operation to dominate the IF world with poetry. Me too!

Picasso had it right: good artists borrow, great artists steal.

Welcome!

6 Likes

Thanks Amanda. There was a reason Plato wanted to kick all the poets out of the Republic. We are a disruptive influence!

8 Likes

Hi there, I’m Ian, though most folks call me Nai. I’m a 36 year old US American. I’ve come into interactive fiction from the Telnet based MUD/MUSH and visual novel angles. I’m a community leader and jam host for the Spooktober Visual Novel Jam, which is what brings me here today.

Our jam accepts visual novels and other narrative heavy experiences as entries. We’ve had a few entries in past jams that were made with Twine or Ink or similar tools, and a few of the submittors suggested I reach out here as well.

I’ll make a seperate post about it in the contests and competitions section, but I’m excited to be here!

18 Likes

Howdy :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m dio9sys. 29 year old weird lady based out of the US.

I got my start with IF when I played zork as a kid from an old floppy, and then from playing a bit of aardwolfmud after that. One of the benefits of having dial up weirdly late into the cable internet era was learning to appreciate the places where 56k was just the right internet speed.

Now I’m a cybersecurity researcher by day, and by night I play a lot of retro games. After playing Anchorhead a few years ago I was hooked on IF again, and I’m currently learning Dialog in the hopes of writing my own interactive horror stories.

21 Likes

You are weird in a good way. :wink: Welcome!

9 Likes