(This post also contains my overall impressions)
The Scholar
This Unity game is harder to evaluate, as the author admittedly rushed through some of the details, and it shows.
The overall idea is that you have amnesia and are stuck in the basement of your grandmother’s house. The room is implemented as a series of different sub-rooms such as ‘left of ladder’ and ‘center of room’. Not all areas are accessible from others. To fully search the room, you must return to the center areas and explore other branches.
The game is completely choice-based and had no graphics that I found. It implements a sort of pseudo-parser by having the main links be “search…” or “look…” which link to other context-sensitive options. During flashbacks (the meat of the game), the play consists of conversation and exploration.
I found the links confusing, sometimes repeating the same options twice (like “apologize” being an option after “apologize and set down bun”), and sometimes feeling like a maze (like exiting a conversation).
The writing was presented as centered text, each sentence on a separate line. For long pieces of text, I think gathering into paragraphs might be more effective. There were numerous typos (such as placing quotation punctuation outside the quotations).
I’m not sure why Unity is needed here. The functionality could be done just as well in Twine and Ink, allowing cross-platform play and window resizing. But I could see it being useful if there were more features added.
Overall, I think I’d like to see what the author could do with this given more time to revise and test before making a judgment.
Undone
This is a minimally-styled Twine game with large pages of text, each having just a couple of options at the end. In this way, it reminds me a lot of Tia Orisney’s earlier games, which I’m a fan of.
The storyline is sci-fi, with an alien attack happening on your office building. Like The Missing Ring, this is a text-heavy and substantial piece of a game, so I skimmed much of the text to see the structure. The writing seems more free-flowing and easier to read than some of the other entries, making it easier to deal with the big chunks of text. This game is a bit more edgy than the other games, but not extremely so (some profanity, mild sexual references).
The complete game idea seems to involve a time loop, which is interesting, although the literal Deus Ex Machina is a little hard to swallow.
Given the size this already has, I would recommend giving it some kind of chapter-like system to break it up into manageable chunks for the player and to give more security (it’s always scary starting a twine game, realizing it’s much longer than you expected, and not knowing if it will save if you quit).
Overall
Like other IF competitions, the quality of Introcomp seems to be increasing year by year. Most of the games seem to be fairly hefty, with real thought put into them, some with an extreme amount of quality. The twine games this year especially seem stronger than last year’s.
For those wondering what to play, this might help:
Short games (15 minutes or less): Draw Nine, An Unexpected Visitor, Magnitude Operation, Space Ferrets, Mothership,
Medium games (15-30 minutes): Intro to Implements of the Arcane, Napier’s Cache (both parser games), The Royal Mystery Shopper, Magnitude Operation,
Long games (30+ minutes): The Scholar, The Missing Ring, Retrocession 1.2
Fantasy/medieval games: Draw Nine, Intro to Implements of the Arcane, Napier’s Cache, The Royal Mystery Shopper, The Scholar
Sci-fi: An Unexpected Visitor, Magnitude Operation, Mothership, Retrocession, Space Ferrets, Undone
Application/executable games: Mothership, Retrocession 0.1.2, The Scholar
Twine-style games: An Unexpected Visitor, Draw Nine, Magnitude Operation, Space Ferrets, The Missing Ring, The Royal Mystery Shopper, Undone
Parser games: Intro to Implements of the Arcane, Napier’s Cache.