IntroComp 2023

1.) I think we’d leave that to the organisers discretion, tbh. In the same way that IntroComp itself reserves the right to make that determination for games claiming to be finished within a year.

2.) I’m not so worried about this if it’s a stated exception in support of encouraging more folks to finish their IntroComp games. If you want to take advantage of it, enter IntroComp. Otherwise, don’t. Exceptions are fine when declared ahead of time.

5 Likes

Fair enough :+1:. I just kind of brought up the point to make sure it’s taken into consideration.

I mean, the IntroComp organiser necessarily has to be ready to make that determination anyway, as it’s part of the essence baked into that comp; whereas organisers of other comps have the choice of whether to allow sufficiently expanded IntroComp entries at all and so put themselves in the position of having to adjudicate such cases.

And participants in TALP (etc.) might have misgivings about how much a previous IntroComp entry was really expanded for the present comp by a competitor, so the organisers will also need to be ready to defend a judgment towards them.

But of course, if you as the TALP organisers are willing to do so (and maybe organisers of other comps likewise), then that’s fine. And it will probably all turn out to be quite doable and harmless, since I don’t really expect a deluge of lazy un-expanded entries, despite my hypothetical scenarios. :slight_smile:

Well, it might seem a bit of an “unprincipled” exception. :slight_smile:

But I agree that if it’s clearly stated beforehand, then people know what they’re getting into, and that’s fair and square.

4 Likes

How do i express intent? or is there still a technical problem?

1 Like

I think everything will be done via email?

All official IntroComp correspondence will be conducted through email (though quick questions may be asked through Twitter — we're @IFIntroComp). If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, email us at:

introcomp at introcomp.org
This is the same email you'll need to use for submitting news of finished entries and/or intriguing baking tips, so keep that in mind!
2 Likes

ok cool. I can’t remember how it used to work.

In any case, do we email our intents in? and what should be sent? Title, Author, Blurb?

2 Likes

Gonna bump this

1) in case jkj yuio hasn’t got a response yet from mailing the organizer

and

2) to say it’s neat to see the IntroComp titles popping up on avatars all over the place. It’s a neat preview of who will be in, and it’s making me reserve a bit of time to try to review a bit more. I don’t think I have since, like, 2015.

3 Likes

Can confirm emailing the official email address with your written intent is sufficient.

2 Likes

@aschultz Thanks. But i must confess as yet, i have not emailed the organizers. The reason being, on the website it still stays they are experiencing a technical issue. I was hoping that would be resolved by now.

However, on the upside…

I have “finished” my entry! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just tweeted to double-super verify: https://twitter.com/AnAndrewSchultz/status/1670403230113619970 … I’ll put Eric’s response in here.

1 Like

If you submit an initial entry, are you allowed to improve upon it while the competition is going on?

2 Likes

I’ve just entered my intent! Fingers crossed this one goes ahead… will be my debut project…

11 Likes

Last day for submission! How many entries will we get??

5 Likes

I thought it was yesterday.

2 Likes

For me, that post was yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Aw man, I just got my entry ready! Will I still be able to share it?

1 Like

Maybe ask the comp orgs nicely?

2 Likes

IntroComp is one of the less formal comps, so it’s worth a shot! Send an email and see what they say.

2 Likes

So many comps in such a short timeframe… joining the One Choice Jam, and there is also IntroComp, IFComp, EctoComp, etc… how do you all keep up! Just creating a very simple game already takes me weeks.

5 Likes

I’ve missed the deadline on this one. I’m still working on something that would be the opening section of a game. I’d love to get some people to look at it in a week or so if anybody has eyes for something that’s targeted at introducing players to a limited parser and a small game where reaching new places is the aim (inspired in no small part by Inside the Facility). I’m very much an apprentice when it comes to the coding side too.

Would love to see people’s entries for this comp as and when they’re ready…

5 Likes

The first time you do stuff it seems to take a while. But I bet the second time a lot of the barriers will have fallen. Plus after a while we get an idea of what we can do quickly and what we can’t. Certainly just having others’ code to look at helps.

One way to do this is with reviews … you don’t have to be an expert on that! Too bad you missed the IntroComp deadline. You should maybe submit an intent to enter to IFComp (before September 1st!) If you miss, no big deal. Maybe seeing IntroComp games will give you an idea of what scope is best for you.

6 Likes