Interactive ghost story and research survey

A friend of mine is a university lecturer on game design and is looking for people to play a short IF game and fill out a questionnaire about it, for research. I thought people on this forum might be interested!

He writes:

I’m a lecturer in computer game design at Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge, UK) and a researcher in interactive narrative (such as in interactive fiction and video games). I’m currently investigating the tension between reader choice and the author’s goals, and as a test case I’ve written an interactive ghost story in the style of M.R. James and prepared a short survey to gather reactions to it.
I would very much appreciate your help, by reading the work and completing the questionnaire. You do not need to be familiar with the works of M.R. James, or an existing reader of interactive fiction, for your responses to be helpful.

The story should be a 10–15-minute read. It has several paths and endings, and if you would like to read it more than once then that would be especially helpful to the study. The questionnaire should take no more than 5 minutes, depending on how much you’d like to say in the final open-text question. The study has full ethics approval, and the information sheet (detailing e.g. privacy) appears on the first page of the survey.
The survey closes on April 24th and I will present the findings at a symposium on M.R. James soon after, then use them to inform the direction of future research.

The survey is at My Grandfather's Chattels. The work, entitled My Grandfather’s Chattels, is available at My Grandfather's Chattels.

Thank you very much for your help,
Matthew

12 Likes

I played the game, and it was fun (the survey was short, as advertised)!

Please do post the paper/findings once it’s completed since I’d be curious to see them.

3 Likes

Ditto! I’d like to see what your results are.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking part! I don’t know when Matthew is expecting to publish the results but I’ll post them here when he does.

3 Likes