Interactive fiction community forum idea

is there a possible way, for an app for the interactive fiction comunity forum, to be created, that way, it could be easier to create a topic and, respond to one. if that were possible, I think it should be for android, and ios Windows and Linux if those last two are possible.

2 Likes

Since it’s a standard free platform, I suspect there are general Discourse apps that can be used even for intfiction.org. Perhaps this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discourse / https://apps.apple.com/us/app/discourse-hub/id1173672076

1 Like

I’m curious, what is wrong with the superb Discourse web app? How would a downloaded app improve upon it?

3 Likes

The forum can be installed as a web app. Depending on your browser there may be a different way to do so. If you use Chrome look for a little plus in a circle in the URL bar.

1 Like

I just saw that also and wondered what it was! I figure it essentially just runs a specific website in its own separate window.

This is how it looks in Chrome:
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 7.01.43 PM

And I was correct - on Mac it put an icon under Applications > Chrome Apps and that essentially runs the website in a separate window with no URL search bar or icon clutter.

I can’t speak for the topic starter, but I believe the idea is to find a more accessible and screen reader friendly way to interact with the forum.

The Discourse web app is screen reader friendly AFAIK.

1 Like

I use the iOS Discourse Hub app for various forums and can recommend it.

I want to thank all of those who have helped me find a better way to access the forum, thanks to those who recommended the Discourse app for ios, I can now find my notifications without browsing through countless emails.

4 Likes

The Hub App is fantastic, agree. The Discourse Forums are still rendered using HTML though so the experience will be otherwise identical to the browser (which imho is a good thing!). The aggregation and notifications are really useful though.