Inklewriter to epub

I saw that Emily Short was able to convert her Inkle Writer story into an Epub book. How did she do it?

1 Like

Inklewriter used to have an “Export to Kindle” option. Right now there’s only “Export to Ink” page.

1 Like

Did you find put how to export into epub?
I need to do the same but can’t find a way to do it.

I know when Inklewriter first came out, there was an option to transfer stories into an EPUB suitable for Kindle, however this was not a quick automated process, and I’m pretty sure there was a nominal fee involved since it had to be supervised by Inkle and they specifically only allowed certain types of narratives.

From what I understand, the process disregarded any variables (since physical media cannot store them) and couldn’t handle potentially infinite loops (choice games with a hub structure) and certain pages/passages had to be duplicated on purpose to make the choice structure work using EPUB hyperlinks. I believe ideally it worked best with a straightforward CYOA physical book structure without repeating pages. I think this was the reason it was a “hands on” process and not an automatic translation. They may or may not be doing nor allowing this anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks Hanon,

You’ve took time to write that answer and I’m really grateful.
I have a grandson who has spent months working on a story in inklewriter, I think he’s done 40,000 words, but sadly we couldn’t upload or use it anywhere, even though we looked all over the place!

Thank you so much,

Best regards,

John

1 Like

I believe Inklewriter (at least originally) created a unique web-page you could give to people to play the game.

If he’s on the newer site (hopefully) clicking “Share” gives you these options.

Here’s the link to play my quick test story (copying the “Play the story in a browser” link):
https://www.inklewriter.com/stories/156553

1 Like

[Rushes off to IFDB to add this gem to Hanon’s bibliography.]

2 Likes

Where’s my martillo gigante? I probably left it in the Spanish forums but I’ve got a marker and Pinkunz’ name is going on it in capital letters…

2 Likes

Hi Hanon, thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!
Take care, John

2 Likes