inform 7: riding a horse

I included rideable vehicles. I can mount my horse but i cant ride it somewhere.

Can you post short example code that demonstrates the problem? My crude test case doesn’t have that problem, so in all likelihood, there’s something going on in your code.

[code]Include Rideable Vehicles by Graham Nelson.

The horse is a rideable animal. The horse is in the Moat.

The Moat is a room. The Moat is north of The Lake.[/code]

Include Rideable Vehicles by Graham Nelson. Star is a female Rideable animal. a dead horse is a female animal in the huge glass container.

[code]Understand "pony"and “quarterhorse” as the dead horse.

Before examining the dead horse for the first time:
now Star is in huge glass container.; now dead horse is off-stage.

After examining the dead horse for the first time:
now the description of the dead horse is “A brown quarterhorse with a white star on its forehead.”
[/code]

i can mount star but when i try to ride her somewhere it says i only understood you as far as wanting to ride Star, and if i mount her then just write go a direction she doesnt come with me.

Is the huge glass container an enterable container? From a little experimenting, it seems as though you can’t ride animals into enterable containers, at least not by default, and if you type “exit” when you’re on a rideable animal inside a container then you’ll get off the animal instead of out of the container. Perhaps you’re getting off the horse before you exit the container, and that’s why the horse isn’t coming with you? On my little test (pasted below) I could get out of the stall and into the next room by typing “w,” but I couldn’t get back into the stall with the horse.

[code]Include Rideable Vehicles by Graham Nelson.

The stable is a room. The stall is an enterable container in the stable.

The horse is a rideable animal. The horse is in the stall.

The yard is west of the stable.

test me with “ride horse/ exit/exit/w/e/ride horse/w/e/enter stall”.
[/code]

You cant ride star when its in the container, thats the way i want it. But when Star is out of the container you still can ride her anywhere. (star and dead horse are two differnt horses, dead horse gets replaced by Star)

You’ll need to post a little more of your code, then. Can you trim it down to a complete bit that gives you the problem?

Also, are you sure that Star isn’t coming with you? When you go in a direction while mounted on an animal, it won’t print a special message for the animal going with you; you can tell you’re still on Star because the new room name that prints above the room description will say “Veterinarian’s Quarters (on Star)” or something like that.

It doesnt say on (star) can i just post all of it?

the pale blue liquid is in huge glass container. a dead horse is a female animal in the huge glass container. Star is a female rideable animal.

[code]Understand "pony"and “quarterhorse” as the dead horse.

now Star is in huge glass container.; now dead horse is off-stage.

now the description of the dead horse is “A brown quarterhorse with a white star on its forehead.”

The description of the dead horse is “A brown quarterhorse with a white star on its forehead. You name the horse Star.”

The description of the huge glass container is “A massive glass container filled with pale blue liquid, with a dead horse floating in it.”
Understand “horse” and “pony” and “quarterhorse” and “mount” as Star. [/code]

[code]Understand “horse” and “pony” and “quarterhorse” and “mount” as Star. petting is an action applying to one thing.
Understand “pet [something]” as petting.

Report petting the goose when the goose is in the cage:
say “The goose would probably not like that!”
Report petting the goose when the goose is not in the cage:
say “The goose looks at you with love in her eyes.”

Report petting Star when Star is in huge glass container:
say “You start petting Star and the unthinkable happens! Star starts swimming in the tank! Star is alive!”; Move Star to Room of Horrors.
Report petting Star when Star is not in the huge glass container:
say “Star whinneys with delight when you pet her.”

The description of Star is “[if the player is human]A beautiful chestnut quarter horse with a white star on her forehead.[otherwise if the player is Star]You are a Beautiful chestnut quarter horse![otherwise if the player is goose] A horible ugly longfaced creature!” [/code]

That still doesn’t seem to be causing a problem for me. I had to add a little stuff to the beginning of your code to make it a complete compilable game (needed to define Room of Horrors, and the cage and the goose, and the property human, and put another room in to ride away from). But when I did that, there was no problem riding Star.

Here’s what I had (the whole code):

[spoiler][code]Include Rideable Vehicles by Graham Nelson.

Room of Horrors is a room. The huge glass container is a container in Room of Horrors.
Room of Non-Horrors is west of Room of Horrors. The cage is in Room of Non-Horrors. The goose is an animal in the cage.
A woman called Hedwig is in Room of Horrors. The player is Hedwig.
Definition: a person is human if it is not an animal.

the pale blue liquid is in huge glass container. a dead horse is a female animal in the huge glass container.
Star is a female rideable animal.

Understand "pony"and “quarterhorse” as the dead horse.

now Star is in huge glass container; now dead horse is off-stage.

The description of the dead horse is “A brown quarterhorse with a white star on its forehead. You name the horse Star.”

The description of the huge glass container is “A massive glass container filled with pale blue liquid, with a dead horse floating in it.”
Understand “horse” and “pony” and “quarterhorse” and “mount” as Star.

Understand “horse” and “pony” and “quarterhorse” and “mount” as Star. petting is an action applying to one thing.
Understand “pet [something]” as petting.

Report petting the goose when the goose is in the cage:
say “The goose would probably not like that!”
Report petting the goose when the goose is not in the cage:
say “The goose looks at you with love in her eyes.”

Report petting Star when Star is in huge glass container:
say “You start petting Star and the unthinkable happens! Star starts swimming in the tank! Star is alive!”; Move Star to Room of Horrors.
Report petting Star when Star is not in the huge glass container:
say “Star whinneys with delight when you pet her.”

The description of Star is “[if the player is human]A beautiful chestnut quarter horse with a white star on her forehead.[otherwise if the player is Star]You are a Beautiful chestnut quarter horse![otherwise if the player is goose] A horible ugly longfaced creature!” [/code][/spoiler]

If you type “x horse/pet star/ride star/w” then you should get “Room of Non-Horrors (on Star)” to start the room description.

Instead of going west to Dim Lit Room when glass wall is broken: say "You carefully try to avoid stepping on the pieces of glass on the floor."; move player to Dim Lit Room.;now glass pieces are in Dim Lit Room.

Maybie this code is the problem. this is the room west of room of Horrors.

I just copied what i had and put it on a new game without this code and it worked, then i did it with and it didnt. must be this code. any idea how to fix this?

Try making it a before rule rather than an instead. Using “instead” bypasses the usual movement rules.

Before going west to Dim Lit Room when glass wall is broken: say "You carefully try to avoid stepping on the pieces of glass on the floor."; now glass pieces are in Dim Lit Room.

–Erik

I just did this just before you posted and it worked!

Is that sort of like putting the cart before the horse?

Robert Rothman