Inform 7: Intro and Quote Box before Banner

Hi! I just began working with Inform 7 after a long time away from Inform. (Last I knew, it was Inform 6.)

I managed to do okay until I tried to put a quote box after my introductory text.

I copied the source code from “Displaying quotations, 5.12.” and “Basic Screen Effects 1.3,” but somehow I’m missing something. The compiler doesn’t like “display the boxed quotation” , “show the current quotation;” or “pause the game.”

(chuckling) A little help here? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

+++

“Intro And Quote Box” by Jay Goemmer

Include the Standard Rules by Graham Nelson.

Include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

When play begins: [This displays the introduction before the title.]
say "Introductory text here.

";

pause the game;

[clear only the main screen;]

[Displaying quotations, 5.12., Basic Screen Effects 1.3]
display the boxed quotation
"There are more things
in Heaven and Earth, Horatio,
than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

–Hamlet, Act I, Scene V";
show the current quotation;

pause the game.

Empty Place is a room.

You’ve got a lot of hard returns in between lines of code. That tends to mess with things. Get rid of returns in between lines of code in the same block, and it’ll be fine. The following works for me:

[code]“Intro And Quote Box” by Jay Goemmer

Include the Standard Rules by Graham Nelson.

Include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

When play begins: [This displays the introduction before the title.]
say “Introductory text here.”;
pause the game;
[clear only the main screen;]
[Displaying quotations, 5.12., Basic Screen Effects 1.3]
display the boxed quotation "There are more things
in Heaven and Earth, Horatio,
than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

–Hamlet, Act I, Scene V";
show the current quotation;
pause the game.

Empty Place is a room.[/code]

Inform 7 is disturbingly intolerant of hard returns.

maga and Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up! I greatly appreciate the pointers! :smiley:

Cheers,

Also, you never need to include the Standard Rules explicitly. The compiler does that of its own accord. I don’t know if it’s ever a positively bad idea to include them, but it’s unnecessary.

Felix,

Thanks for pointing that out! :slight_smile: Like I said, it’s been years since I’ve worked with Inform.

Cheers,

FWIW, Inform 6 is still around, and reasonably well supported, and still very viable as an authoring system. If you were comfortable using it, you might want to consider going back to it rather than tackling a whole new system. Granted, I7 has the nice IDE and some nifty test/debug features, and a lot of people like the convenience features of the language.

Different strokes for different folks and all that…

Jim,

I looked at some of my old Inform 6 source code, and my eyes rolled back into my head. :open_mouth:

IIRC, I only ever released one I6 game, and mostly dabbled with others, but never really completed them. So I guess since I’m just dabbling for now, I’ll go with I7 (even though yes I know, the I7 code gets converted to I6 before being compiled, and I can always splice I6 code into I7…).

So thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

P.S. I just wanted to say thanks for all of your contributions to “Keyboard” magazine over the years. I was a regular reader 20 years ago, but then Real Life Happened. At any rate, I still have years of back issues that I dig out every once in a while. ;-D

Cheers,