Inform 7 documentation and resources

Fixed.

Everyone except new users is able to edit wiki posts – people should feel free to fix any broken links.

I would consider it a kindness, though, if anyone talked with me about their plans before just deleting or reorganizing stuff.

Like it says up top, I expect to do a major revision some time soon, but I’m waiting for the new IDEs and the new docs and change log and Inform 7 website to be released, which I’m presuming will all happen at the same time when they happen. And that’ll be a sufficiently large endeavor that it probably won’t happen quite as quickly as anyone would like.

3 Likes

Didn’t know anyone could edit that post. Thanks. I still find this forum cryptic.

Some time soon, I hope, I’ll be working on a v10 version of documentation and resources. I figure it’s worthwhile for there to still be 9.3/6M62-flavored info and there’s not room for 9.3 and 10.1 in the same entry: the initial post here has been dancing around the 32,000 character limit for a while – I’ve had to economize character count several times.

My inclination is to rename this thread Inform 7 9.3/6M62 Documentation and Resources and leave it principally as is, and to create a new Inform 7 v10 Documentation and Resources thread. Each will prominently identify itself and link to the other at their tops. And I presume some years hence the 9.3/6M62 thread would get unstickied.

Anyone have any strong opinions about some different approach being a better idea?

9 Likes

Concur and agree.

Would it be worth putting the new version on IFWiki?

1 Like

Just to follow up on my comment directly above, there’s a page for Inform 7 on IFWiki already, but it could do with being updated.

If you were to work on your new revision on IFWiki, it could be on the Inform 7 page itself (replacing much of the existing content there) or on a separate page. It would be in keeping with the “wiki” nature of the original post here, and would help to reinvigorate IFWiki too!

1 Like

I found this tutorial on WikiBooks:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Beginner's_Guide_to_Interactive_Fiction_with_Inform_7/Getting_Started_with_Inform_7

It is short and sweet and may be a good place to start before diving into the other tutorials posted by Allison Parrish and Carolyn VanEseltine.

I started it in November, then switched gears to return to (and finally finish) Reed’s Creating Interactive Fiction in Inform 7. I plan to review the other tutorials when I’ve finished the book. I’m nearly there.

3 Likes

Reed’s textbook is the best.

Another good source is Jim Aikin’s Handbook.

I went back and forth between them when I wrote my first game for EctoComp.

Jeff

1 Like

I was thinking, would adding @mathbrush 's Let’s Play of the Inform manual be appropriate?

I found it way more approachable than the vanilla text.

5 Likes

good idea! added.

3 Likes

This would affect users of this post in general, so I thought I’d bring it up publicly: I pitched to Graham the notion of my moving much of the I7 Docs and Resources info to pages on the official Inform website itself, and he has assented in principle. My thoughts are:

• I’m guessing many people check out Inform without ever finding their way to IntFiction. Newcomers have a better chance of finding the info if it’s there.
  • I can organize things better with multiple pages than with one enormous forum post.
  • The Docs and Resources post here can link to pages there, so there should be no real loss for people here.
  • Numerous people here have commented on bouncing off the current post because it’s such a massive wall of text… and they have a point. This post could become less of a survey of the entire Inform-o-sphere and more of a FAQ.
  • For a long time now, I’ve been up against Discourse’s 32000 character limit, and have had to concentrate on making things even terser in order to add more content.
  • It would obviate my previous notion of having separate 9.3/6M62 and 10.1 posts, and it’d be a feature for the link to this thread to stay constant 'cause lots of things on the forum (and some things elsewhere) link to it.

To be clear, I fully intend that the top post in this thread continues to be a living document that serves as a guide to I7 docs and resources! But some sections here will become links to pages on the Inform website, pages that won’t have to be as terse and compact as the corresponding sections here.

What do you think?

8 Likes

Would you consider putting it on IFWiki? It was a wiki post here so seems appropriate :slight_smile:

You could use as many pages as you like, and you would probably get help in copying it across and in keeping it updated.

No, I think having the info on the Inform website will mean that more of the people who could benefit from it would find it.

1 Like