INFOCOM- Saving and Loading Saved Games on DOSbox

Hi all! I just downloaded DOSbox so I can play through some of the great old games from Infocom. I was elated when I was able to get the games to run, but I’ve hit a snag around saving and loading saved games.

I’ve started playing Leather Goddesses of Phobos (don’t judge). I type “SAVE” as a command during gameplay and it seems to be saving the game.

Then I come back to the directory and try to load LEATHER SAV but that just puts me right back at the start again like I’m beginning a brand new game. Seeing as Infocom’s games can take a long time to beat, I really want to figure out how to save them and load my save files. Please help!

Leather LeatherSave

The restore command from in the game is RESTORE, which should work to load your saved game.

1 Like

LeatherSolution

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I didn’t realize I had to open the game THEN type ‘RESTORE’ but I just did and it worked like a dream.

I can’t tell you how excited I am that I have a way to experience these games now. Thanks again!

1 Like

It’s also possible to play the games using an interpreter written for a modern operating system, eliminating the need for DOSBox.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of these mentioned generally before. Can you provide any specific examples? I’m using a laptop running Windows 10

The two multi-format interpreters we normally recommend for Windows are Gargoyle and Lectrote. There are also many stand alone interpreters, but installing one multi-format interpreter is easier.