In Which Max Fog's Tiny Reviews Only Study Blurbs & Cover Art

To start off the competition, I will make very small reviews of the cover art and blurbs for games. They are small, but these won’t affect any of my actual reviews (unless they really are important).

See ya!

12 Likes

The Maze Gallery

Blurb

The Maze Gallery was created over the course of 6 months by 34 contributors, 27 of them authors. It is a choice-based interactive fiction game about a surreal art museum that is intent on keeping its patrons forever.

“You have been transported to a bizarre museum whose strangeness only grows the longer you remain, and you grow strange with it. Find your way out of the twisting halls, past the impossible paintings, and try to retain some sense of self for when you return to the real world.”

Content warning: Some disturbing content, explicit language, mention of suicide, animal gore, violence, clowns

Whew, that’s a lot of authors!

Alt Cover Text

Dark green background with assorted shapes in a slightly lighter shade of green. In the center, in thin straight writing with random lengths for each line and a soft but vibrant yellow shade, are the words “Maze Gallery”. A fairly large arrow, which points downwards to the words but is not easily visible at first since it matches the assorted shapes around the edges. If you look in closer, you will notice light lettering at random angles in each of the shapes, saying things such as “Clown Alley” and “Missing Art Wing”, many of which are half cut off (purposefully).

So, to start with the cover. It’s very well done: the letters skewed and thin, making me feel like there may be some madness involved - a nice yellow which isn’t harsh on the eyes but stands out on the green background. The background itself is a very nice shade of green: that’s, for me, the very perfect balance between too dark and too light. Lines moving up and down and irregular blocks with names on them almost certainly are meant to be exhibits in a map, the arrow reminding me of a compass and the semicircular shape below the word “Gallery” has almost perfect shaping overall(as in, matches the vibe and compliments it). Although I have to say the lettering on the exhibits of the “map” doesn’t quite match, it’s still very nice and orients the player in what I assume to be a very mad journey.

Next, the blurb. It starts with a lot of artists, which isn’t a bad thing, but then also some “Co-Written by” credits, many of which are already mentioned in the first credits. From this, I already begin to feel worried that it may be slightly unorganized, which isn’t a great sign, leaving possibilities for bugs or other problems open. Next, the blurb itself starts by going meta and telling you about the authors and the journey. This could be good, but after this first bit, and without giving any catchiness through actual wording (the cover caught me, but not quite enough), I begin to lose focus. Then it gives you the blurb, however it’s in quotation marks (which doesn’t feel right unless it’s a meta game, where it’s not actually about this art museum game - if you get what I mean?) and use of the word “museum” in the last paragraph as well, which I definitely understand, but feels too repetitive, among other problems. I think, if you removed the quotation marks and switched the order of the two paragraphs, you’d have something so much more catchy.

Content warnings list “some disturbing content”, which is fair if you don’t want to trigger people in the trigger warnings, but it’s best to be specific about what you mean by this.

Overall, very strong artwork combined with a very off-putting blurb makes for some worry.

7 Likes

Bad Beer

Blurb

A tale of dodgy drinks, things that go bump in the night, and stuff from the past that just ain’t right

Content warning: alcohol (the game is set in a British pub selling beer), some spooky stuff and death

Alt Cover Text

The words “BAD BEER” in capitals cleanly written in what looks like red chalk on a dark blue-grey slate. The ends of each of the letters are pointy, and to the left of the words (which take up half of the image), an image of beer is on this slate. The beer is drawn in white and browny-yellow (or beer-coloured) chalk. The foam at the top looks like it was drawn on a much more jaggedy piece of concrete, rather than a slate - or possibly as if someone dabbed it with a eraser to partially erase it.

The cover is fairly simple, and yet evokes a mood. Something sinister, yet something … Funny. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just tired. But the writing on the right feels like it could have been replaced with blood and a thin paintbrush, which leaves me wondering… Is there something satanic going on here? (As in, like Hunger Daemon style, but maybe less comedic.) Or maybe death metal? Or both? As well as this, the beer
mug leaves some questions. The chalk lines here seem more faint, with a white chalk outline that’s less defined, as if it had been smudged by a finger that had traced the length of the beer mug. Same goes for the beer inside the mug, but less - here you can see how the person shaded in the beer, and probably smudged with their finger. And the foam… It’s hard to describe. It leaves me with this uncanny feeling… It’s sort of like it was dabbed lightly with a blackboard eraser, but not quite. It’s good, I like it - and yet I’m not sure I do. It’s weird. That’s cool.

Onto the blurb, which is much faster than the previous. It’s so short, I can’t help but think not much effort was put into it? There isn’t even a full stop at the end! Though, now that I think of it, a full stop wouldn’t work. Neither would an exclamation mark. Maybe if you gave them their own lines? No; that makes it feel sing-song, which I don’t think it works. But you know what might work?

A tale of dodgy drinks / Things that go bump in the night / And stuff from the past that just ain’t right

Having never played the game, I can’t confirm this is any better. But it might work. It might take off the distrust of the game because of the missing full stop.

The content warning doesn’t improve my faith. The alcohol bit it slightly too extended, though justifiably, but “some spooky stuff”? That’s just too vague. Disturbing imagery? Ghosts? Gore? Nightmares? I dunno. It doesn’t feel right.

Overall, an uncanny cover that certainly intrigues me, so not bad at all - and a blurb+CW that could do with more refining.

5 Likes

Redjackets

Blurb

Rosco Jeppson has to die.

But a man like that: a fine art dealer at the head of a massive organized crime ring (and a vampire at that) won’t go down easy. But the Redjackets aren’t your typical vampire hunting firm, either: they have both humans AND vampires in their employ. They’re usually much more concerned with solving underworld disputes nonviolently through mediation and so-called restorative justice… but Jeppson has left them with no other options.

Play as decorated, human vampire hunter Declan, experienced vampire Redjacket Lynette, or freshly-turned informant Fiia as they strive to bring Jeppson down. Choices made in one protagonist’s path will be remembered if you play through another’s story, later.

Only one thing is certain: Rosco Jeppson has to die.

But the rest?

That’s up to you.

Content warning: Blood and gore (decapitation, mutilation, gunshot wounds), guns, capture/involuntary confinement, near-death experiences, vomiting, strong language

Alt Cover Text

A photograph of an art gallery with white walls and wooden floors. There are four paintings of abstract art on the right wall, including one distorted image of a woman nearest the image POV. Half cut-off on the left is a glass case with an unidentified small white brutalist … sculpture? It’s not entirely clear. In a very light red, pixelated writing that simulates ornate storybook lettering (but pixelated), the words “Redjackets” in written so as not to obstruct the artworks. In a faint haze around the letters is a much stronger red.

Cover first, as always. The image is simple, and supposedly sets you in the scene of the game, or maybe an important place in it. It’s got this very “mundane” feel to it, strangely - and doesn’t strike me as totally interesting - but the paintings? Now they’re a different story. Abstract art, with tones of death or just … Greyness. Either way, they provide a tiny scent of … Not exactly “interest”, per se, but worth having them there, for sure. And the title font - fascinating choice. Using that orange style you find in old folktale children’s books, or similar. But then pixelate it? Seems like giving it a retro style to me, but without justification. Well, that’s interesting for sure. And the very light red inside the shapes, but outside: a hazy, more rich red. Something reminiscent of blood. Which, admittedly, isn’t surprising given the blurb we’re about to see, but still odd when given without it. Also makes slight sense given the word itself, “Redjackets”. Red? Yup. But also, sounds to me like it could be linked to “straightjackets”. Maybe not. Oh, and one more note - thank you for putting the title not overlapping the art or points of interest. It’s really nicely aligned, and well sized and fitted. I am glad for that.

Alright, blurb itself. Starts with a short, slightly cliché line: “Rosco Jeppson has to die.” With its own paragraph. It is intriguing, after all, but doesn’t surprise me whatsoever. And then the next paragraph: this first bit ("But a man like that: ") for some reason, I really like it. It feels… right. Like someone’s telling you this. It feels real. And then you’re given context on (supposedly) this Rosco Jeppson: he’s an art dealer, and he is at the head of a crime ring. Tricky, damn.

Oh, and he’s a vampire.

OKAY. You’re in. You’re fully damn in, head, tail, and sharp pointy teeth/stick (depending on whose side you’re on)! From a classic {revenge/taking down a crime boss} story, you get given vampires. Not only does this add to that weird, mundane feeling of the image the comprises the main bit of the cover art, it sets you in this alternate world where vampires … Are there. True, they’re annoying. But they’re there! Sort of like Beat Witch from last year’s IFComp, except way less gritty fleshy realism. Moving on: so now you’re a vampire hunter? And there are vampires that hunt other vampires?? This just feels like a hitman agency to me. Okay, so vampire hunters that deal with things through politics? I dunno, maybe not politics. But not violence. Then, after this in the next paragraph, you’re given something a lot more meta. Telling you what’s gonna happen in the game. Which is fine; it’s short as well, so it’s not losing your attention. But these next three paragraphs: they seem pretty obvious choices. But they’re chosen well. You know what I mean? They repeat the important information. They make it feel like it’s your story. But guess what? I don’t feel bored by it!

Overall, fairly not-super-eye-catchy but well-fitted artwork meets a strong blurb. Nice.

4 Likes

Focal Shift

Blurb

All you were supposed to do is sneak into a fintech company and steal some data. You didn’t expect the client to use the comm chip jacked into your cybernetic implant as a cattle prod. And you definitely didn’t expect a murder to be part of the plan. Good luck hacking your way out of this jam, grid jockey.

Alt Cover Text

A simple drawing of a featureless person in a hoodie made of only two colours: beige and black - is displayed against a black background. Below the image are the words “FOCAL SHIFT” in green uppercase letters (with a 0 for an O). The letters themselves are distorted and broken, but still fully legible.

To start with the cover. It’s a fairly simple cover so this shouldn’t be long. The focal person of this cover art is supposedly some computer hacker? You, probably? It’s simple, and the use of brown is interesting, but not particularly important. Using only that light brown and the black that is exactly the same colour as and even is part of the black background, makes me think “hiding in the shadows”. From who? Or have they always been hiding? These hacker theories are even further backed up when I look at the title, which is a recognisable green used in a lot of old computer terminal displays. This, plus the simple font use (as opposed to something more complex that wouldn’t give the feeling of any “old computer terminal displays”) and a 0 instead of an O - scream “HACKER”. And I’m not wrong, am I? The distortion on the lettering indicates something’s gone wrong, such as a breach of security. But that’s all the cover gives you. Nothing else.

Blurb: short and simple. Fairly cliché as well: “All you had to do was break into xxx and steal yyy. But then zzz happened. Good luck fixing everything.” So is there really anything to study? The answer is, yes. One - I was right, it was tech related, but maybe not as much as I expected. Two - sets us up in a futuristic time with a lot of high tech stuff. Three - ooh, murder! It gets straight to the point. Fast, brutal and risky. (What the themes of the game are, not the blurb!) And then uses hacker slang, or something similar - I’m not sure. But it does set a serious tone where you feel “You know exactly what you’re doing. There’s no amnesia here.”

Overall, short and simple, but moderately leveled at best.

3 Likes

Imprimatura

Blurb

Imprimatura (It.): the first layer of paint on a canvas.

Imagine that you are an artist. Imagine that you are in mourning. A painter – your relative, and your former mentor – has died. In their will, they have left you seven paintings of your choosing from their collection. But which seven? What matters to you as both an artist and an inheritor of your mentor’s legacy? And what memories will these paintings stir up?

Imprimatura is a nonlinear work of interactive fiction that makes light use of procedural generation and heavy use of a multilayered painting that changes based on your choices.

Credits: Writing/design/scripting by Elizabeth Ballou, visual design and art by Alina Constantin, art by Anna Link, music/SFX by Rachel Wang.

Content warning: Brief verbal descriptions of a loved one dying of cancer; some descriptions of anxiety, depression, and emotional abuse. Light cursing.

Alt Cover Text

A pencil drawing of a river which meanders from top left to bottom right, passing by what may be a bridge in the distance. Nearest to the front, facing away from the drawing, is an unidentified person, removing a pair of underwear (pants, if you’re me), probably to bathe in the river. The drawing uses a gray, thick pencil that is smudged in areas to create the feeling of distance. A small tree with thick branches that crawl near the floor and no leaves is to the left of the person.

This is a strong cover, to say it already. It uses dark pencils and a range of greys that are never quite white nor black to create this feeling of fog, of a dark dawn where the sun does not shine red or purple. It’s a cold feeling. A feeling that makes you shiver, and you can feel it deep in your bones. A fresh feeling, like the morning dew still lingering on cold grass blades, and of a brisk morning swim. It’s an eerily comforting scene - cold, damp, foggy, and alive. As if this dip in the river will make you remember, and as if it welcomes you and does not intend to sweep you downstream. A use of fairly thin, black lettering with curved (but pointy) serifs leaves for words that actually stand out amongst the drawing, while simultaneously complementing it. The character themself - fairly AFGNCAAP to start with, a blank slate, and ready for a new beginning. The fact that you can’t see off into the distance, too, everything becoming carefully blended into one another below a grey sky - it’s a new start. An end, and a beginning. A time to think.

To start off the blurb: a definition of the title. “The first layer of paint on a canvas.” Interesting choice of name - seems like a painting being begun. Or restarted. In any case, you’re given this question: Are you painting the imprimatura, drawing a blank slate; or are you painting over said imprimatura, finishing of the details? Are you starting anew; or are you re-remembering?

Continuing along, you are asked to imagine a story - a bold move in a blurb, but a well-pulled off one nevertheless. The premise of the story is unveiled, one careful sentence at a time, until you have come to terms with the story, just as you player-character has come to terms with said family member’s death. (Bad analogy, I know.) The rest of the blurb is clear and doesn’t need studying.

Overall, a very strong and thoughtful cover with a blurb that does its job - and not too badly, I must add.

The Apothecary’s Assistant

Blurb

OPENING HOURS

Monday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Tuesday: 5 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Wednesday: CLOSED

Thursday: 2 a.m. – 10:10 a.m.

Friday: 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.

Saturday: 12:30 p.m. – 3:21 p.m.

Sunday: 12 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.

This game is meant to be played over a minimum of six sessions of approximately 5 minutes each, across a period of multiple days.

Admittedly, this might be my shortest review yet.

Alt Cover Text

A light forest with lush light green vegetation below and grey-brown tree trunks that are not fully visible (to the top). In between to trees that are fairly center and look sturdy, a darker and stronger green emanates from a different forest in between. In this other forest, there are stronger shadows, and the green of the leaves is extremely vibrant.

The cover is a very simple study. To start off with, there is no title on it - just a picture. The picture itself is fairly fascinating: this strong green forest between the two trees seems almost like some sort of portal. It’s almost false - edited until it doesn’t look real anymore, and yet it’s pretty obvious it’s still a forest. It’s curious.

The blurb is very interesting too. Starting with a list of opening hours for each day of the week, you’re left wondering: And what does this have to do with the cover’s forest? And … why does Thursday open and close so damn early? And then you’re told something about when you can play it and for how long, and … Well, that’s it. Nothing else. I feel like I completely get what’s going on here, but I have no clue what’s going to be going on here.

Overall, this is a very basic cover, and if anything, it’s certainly something that gets your attention.

2 Likes

String Theory

Blurb

Some things in life you can choose, and some things, you’re just stuck with…

String Theory is an interactive short story about family and finding the courage to love. You play as Jay, a college student trying to survive Thanksgiving with his Uncle Jimmy while dealing with stress about finals and his new same-sex relationship.

Learn about Jay’s past as you help him decide what to do with his future.

Content warning: Some profanity, body image/weight issues, a few mildly suggestive passages, racism, drug and alcohol abuse, mental health issues, and indirect descriptions of a car accident.

Alt Cover Text

A list of 15 examples of a loop that cannot be undone (I forgot the name). Every one is on this large wooden table, separated from each other by a latticed border and with a tiny sign with no writing underneath it.

The cover is also really simple, so probably very small here. It’s hard to describe. I’m sort of wondering the link? Between this and the blurb? But I’ll go with it. The cover has a definite “groundhog day” feel to it, as well as a little bit of science and math added in. I’m not sure how to explain it any further.

I’m really sorry, I might just be tired because I can’t seem to find anything today. Even through this blurb, which feels like the story might be dark and sad, I sense this uncomfortable lightness. A nice first sentence, summing up the rest for lazy readers, plus extending into another paragraph for the interested. The “survive Uncle Jimmy and struggle with your same-sex relationship”, and way it specifies “same-sex” makes me think that there’s something uncomfortable about your relationship for someone there. Or, they don’t know. Either way, it’s an uncomfortable situation, as I’ve said before.

Overall, an interesting cover that I’m not sure how it quite matches from here, as well as a nice and clear blurb.

2 Likes

Trivia re: String Theory cover art. It’s on the Wikipedia knot theory page: Knot theory - Wikipedia. The image there is much higher resolution, so you can see the writing under each knot, identifying which knot in the knot table it is, and including what I believe are their Alexander polynomials.

3 Likes

Forsaken Denizen

Blurb

THIS GAME CONTAINS SCENES OF IMPLICIT VIOLENCE AND GORE.

(A text-only survival horror.)

Alt Cover Text

A woman kneels, alert, on the floor of a back alley of some unknown street. In her hand, she holds a handgun. The character’s skin is pale, contrasting with the dark brown walls around her. At the bottom, the first line states in all capitals “FORSAKEN DENIZEN”, and the second line reads “A GAME BY C E J PACIAN. COVER ART BY NSJNDD1.”

The cover to start with. The scene gives off a sci-fi mood blended with modern day London. Something about the walls feels very old. Perhaps it’s the cracks in the wall on the left hand side. Or maybe it’s the colour of the brick. I’m not sure what. But it’s there, at least. The feeling. And the character on the front - perhaps the choice here isn’t a deliberate one, but the simple alabaster of her skin strikes me as being the result of one of two things: the first, vampire. Or two - and I admit, this feels random - cyborg. Yes, this is really weird. And potentially it’s all just the art itself. In either case, the character here is alert, holding a gun up, leading to definite sense of fear and danger. The lettering would agree, with a bold, blocky, uppercase style to help give this action-y feeling.

In either case, the blurb is so short it’s a wonder you can get anything from it. Using capital letters for a content warning - which, strangely, is before the description of the game, and not perfectly so, and a very short summary of the game - survival, and horror. But that’s all you get. Is this used to help maintain this super-rapid, alert mindset? Possibly. But maybe the description should have been first. The only difference this would make is that then it wouldn’t start with capital letters nor have a “get in or get out” kind of beginning.

Overall, if anything, it’s catchy, sets a mood, and I for one wanna play.

Under the Cognomen of Edgar Allan Poe

Blurb

“There are some secrets that do not permit themselves to be told.”

In 1849, Edgar Allan Poe disappeared among the back alleys of Baltimore. A week later, he was found delirious and in disarray. The mystery of his death has remained unsolved for 175 years.

Now it’s your chance to decipher the macabre enigma enshrouding the final days of Edgar Allan Poe—a tale of Faustian bargains, artistic ambition, and immortality…

Alt Cover Text

In the background, you can see a portrait of who I assume to be Edgar Allan Poe. However the right half of the image has an inverted palette. Over the top of his face in large, Times New Roman-adjacent red font are the words “Under the Cognomen of Edgar Allan Poe”.

The cover to this artwork is fairly peculiar. Using Edgar Allan Poe’s face (I think it’s his? I don’t know if he looks like that or not) is unsurprising, yet inverting the color palette of the right side is peculiar. Perhaps, using the blurb as a guide, you are revealing the secrets that he kept? Showing his inside thoughts and revealing the truth of his murder? Possibly. But then, you also have a bright red, serif font with a heavy shadow under each letter. It seems… Intrusive. As if being forced back to reality - the editing is slightly unnatural, shaking you out of immersion to look at the red words.

The blurb starts with a quote, then moving on to giving some probably important information about EAP’s death. Then it hands over to you: you must solve the puzzles, and figure out the mystery behind it all. The listing of things you may encounter is clever, focusing on prevalent themes both in Poe’s text and probably this game. It’s a straightforward blurb, despite being fairly long.

Overall, an immersion-breaking cover with a simple but nice blurbs leads for hopes that this is better than its cover, which it most likely will be.

1 Like

198BREW

Blurb

198X.

Long after Adin’s discovery. After the Night of the Comets. Sometime after she went away. Three days after you buried the cat.

You stand in your kitchen. And you find yourself out of coffee.

Step into the blizzard. Go through this strange world of talking animals, immortals, fanatics, robots – and find that shot of caffeine.

Content warning: Non-graphic depictions of violence

Alt Cover Text

On a light blue background, a head and shoulders shot of a nearly classic example of a robot with a damaged jaw (under which you can see wires) and the left side of the torso completely damaged and torn off, under which there are wires. The words in the top right state in thin red lettering, “198BREW”, and below in smaller grey lettering, “THE AGE OF ORPHEUS”. Interestingly, if you look closely enough, the red, green and blue layers are separated, so there’s a very thin line for each with a varying amount of that colour, to give the sense of an old computer screen.

I have to say, I don’t know from reading the blurb what the title means at all.

The cover is fascinating. This robot - maybe called 198BREW? - is torn and destroyed. Jaw and torso in shambles. Why? Is it just old and hasn’t gotten repaired? Has something happened to it? Is it decommissioned? The latter I’d say is the least likely - it would also be rusty as well. Unless it wasn’t a specific choice not to make it rusty. In either case, this context brings questions, which also accompany the lighting of the right eye (left for us). The lighting is a warm, welcoming light. But is that really it? To me, the robot seems sinister: the nice yellow light is almost too welcoming for such a destroyed robot. At the same time, the colour may be a soft yellow, but it’s also slightly white/grey - just a little cold at the same time. Maybe it’s hiding something… Anyway, enough with the eye. This use of separating the primary hues into their own lines seems an interesting choice - as well as the include the title in it as opposed to overlaying the title over the top as if it’s not part of the image. While the title seems informative in the same way a DIY shelf instruction manual is (thin capital letters in use for title to make you interested without overdoing it like leaflets do, simple and possibly ultimately informative yet at the beginning leaves me thinking … “And where do I need to apply this?”), the screen seems like an old computer - bigger pixels. And making the words a part of this image instead of overlayed increases pre-game immersion. I like that. So, maybe, this game is gonna be a little retro in its setting, but certainly not its gameplay. Or maybe a dystopic setting.

As for the blurb - sometime in the 1980s, as introduced by the first (and one-word) paragraph, “198X.” Hmmm. So alternate universe, such as Computerfriend? Very few games that say “198X” in the blurb in that way are anything but sci-fi games, plus just look at the cover. Then, moving on: four questions, one for each sentence, and all introducing a new aspect that nobody has any clue about. As well as that, it gives off a very dark, brooding mood. Or a sad one. “Sometime after she went away.” Not naming who “she” is, maybe not wanting associations with - or memories of - her? Also, “sometime” makes me feel like the narrator (or PC) doesn’t care about her, if he can’t remember when “she” left. Moving on: “… after burying the cat.” The cat? Your cat? If so, why no name? Not your cat? Why burying. The questions are unearthed, along with the cat. The first two sentences give the sense of fantastical discoveries. Anyway, then you move on to the next paragraph - and it’s weird. Why start talking about coffee? After talking about burying a cat, and great discoveries, and someone important leaving you? And all you can think about is … coffee? Tells you something about this character. Get through the blizzard. Dystopia? Probably. And nonchalantly mention-in-passing “talking animals, immortals, fanatics, [and] robots”. What? And still get caffeine? What world do you live in where this is normal? Scratch that I said it tells you something about the character - this tells you something about the world we’re stepping into!

Overall, seems simple but there is a good deal to talk about. I’m sincerely glad I came across this entry. Hopefully the game lives up to this standard…

Miss Duckworthy’s School for Magic-Infested Young People

Blurb

The thing about being seventeen years old and newly infested with magic is that you are no longer a child to be protected, but a problem to be solved.

There’s a solid chance you’ll get shot or stabbed or magically disintegrated, but you definitely won’t get in trouble for hanging with a bad crowd. You are the bad crowd, now and forever, no matter what you do next.

Sure, a lot of people want you exterminated, but that’s true of most teenagers anyway. And like all toxins, you have your uses to the right kinds of people.

If you survive.

Content warning: A minor character is a rapist (off-screen but he is creepy on-screen); there is some minor violence; player can choose to attempt to neglect an animal.

Alt Cover Text

A simple image of a yellow rubber duck on a wooden floor, and the title (plus “by Felicity Banks”) in yellow letters around it.

This one, I think I’ll have a lot more to say about the blurb than the cover. But who knows?

I’m still wondering about this cover. One part of me thinks “duck. Miss Duckworthy.” And some part of me thinks it has better in-game significance. But I’m not sure just yet. The light use of special fonts is nice as it fits in with the idea of schools (you know, sometimes when they have a website for the school…?) But the most curious bit to me is the mood is provides, which I’ll explain in more detail below.

The start of the blurb is different to lots of the other catchy ones as in that it doesn’t begin with a short sentence. Doesn’t mean that this one is not catchy. In fact, I might go as far to say the opposite. Saying something like “Seventeen. You’re infested - not gifted - with magic.” Wouldn’t work nearly as well. It strikes a nice balance between too short but catchy and long enough but not catchy. It’s a good exposition to a blurb, by generalising the context to what is supposedly the player character (ie. being seventeen and being magic-infested). It’s also got a nice twist on the concept of magic, which isn’t surprising as that’s what the game is all about, but it describes it well. Annoyed but not angry. Informative but not too matter-of-factly. You get told in the next two paragraphs that you’re essentially the “bad guy”. Like X-Men, I guess? (Haven’t actually watched any of the X-Men movies fully through so I can’t tell.) And to end it with a short sentence, instead of starting it with a short sentence, sort of flips around the order. A d I’m still certainly intrigued.

The only thing I have to say is this: the cover is light hearted and sort of (not to be rude) looks quite simple and put together in maybe two minutes. Which is fine on its own. But then the mood of blurb is dark and gritty and sort of coming to terms with life growing up, plus superheroes. And that cover doesn’t match with it at all. Including the content warnings, which add to this dark realism of teenage superheroes, and you have a cover that ultimately undoes the blurb. This cover could have been an intentional move, but I didn’t quite feel it.

Overall, a cover that doesn’t quite work combined with a very very intriguing and well-designed blurb. Looks good.

2 Likes

I am incredibly grateful to all reviewers but I believe it’s unwise to comment on specifics during the judging period. So here is a blanket THANK YOU for making the effort to review my game, no matter what you thought of it. You make the IF Comp so much more interesting by being a part of it.

(I know this isn’t technically a review, but it’s still extremely valuable… and I must point out that your “tiny” reviews are very thoughtful and thorough.)

2 Likes

A Very Strong Gland

Blurb
  • Be abducted by space aliens who want to give you some challenging tests!

• Make use of highly advanced quorz technology!

• Enjoy the labor-saving convenience of single-keystroke commands!

How strong is your gland?

(For the duration of the competition, hints may be obtained by emailing the author. Just click the little envelope at the top of the entry. Don’t be shy, hint requests are welcome.)

Alt Cover Text

On a starry night sky, the title of the game in big letters dominates the cover. Around the words, there are three sort-of-oval-sort-of-triangle shapes - one purple, one green and one peach - each with one mini eye.

… I have to say, tonight might have some of the hardest ones.

The cover art: simply put, it serves its job. The fact it’s got the stars for the background means? It’s likely set in space. The font used for the title starts thinner than it ends, and is not perfectly centered (“Gland” is, or at least looks, more to the right than being centered would be. Meaning? It might be a slightly goofy (not necessarily bad) game. The little creatures around the edge back this bit up. That’s mostly it.

“Abducted by space aliens…” I’ve heard that a lot before. Maybe they’re trying to get people in through familiarity? Especially by the fact that they’re being listed instead of in paragraphs, which may be an attempt to make it punchy and easily readable. Fascinating. “quorz technology”? Well, the player has to play to find out! And a convenience attractor: single keystrokes, supposedly making it easier to play. And something about a gland, which I’ll admit I’d say is the bit I want to play the most for. (Then a little aside about hints.) All this is very attempting to make it super friendly. Overuse of exclamation marks, and short and punchy! It’s a lot.

Overall, a simple cover with a slightly risky blurb, but can do if it lives up to expectations.

2 Likes

The Saltcast Adventure

Blurb

Deep in Kingthrall caves, monsters dwell. The crown has offered a large reward to anyone who can destroy them. You are probably not the quester anyone had in mind, but you’re desperate, and that has made you determined. Enter the caves. Argue with the creatures from your nightmares. Discover a war nobody on the surface knew about. Hear the dead God speak. Bring down the Hydra King, or fall in the attempt… Fantasy, about 70k words, choice-based.

Alt Cover Text

Three skulls joined together by jawbone and temples. The innermost eye of each one (both for the centre eye) is filled with a pearl-coloured substance. Above are thin rectangular assorted lettering that says the title. Below and in front of the skulls in green in a burning candle on a strangle disk. Wisps of stylised green smoke border the image.

Interesting cover. You’ve got skulls, which have something strange in the eyes, which makes me think of the Demilich from D&D 5E Monster Manual. So monster? Baddies? Just general ornaments? The candle gives off ritual vibes, especially how green it is. There’s some sort of curse going on, I’d guess. Or just rituals in general. However, the most confusing thing is the font for the title. It seems goofy. I’d even go so far to say it looks like the Sponge Bob Square Pants font, especially with the odd coloring too.

Immediately from the blurb: fantasy. Very very fantasy. You’re given small context, and sent on your way to explore all that the author has written. Short sentences, and brave to not separate into tiny paragraphs, even when it mentions meta word counts. But I have to admit, this is the kind of thing I want to play.

Overall, interesting cover and basic but fascinating blurb.

1 Like

The three conjoined skulls remind me of Hecate, the three-faced goddess of death (well, death and many other things).

1 Like

The Triskelion Affair

Blurb

A medieval detective explores a desolate chapel in search of a powerful magical item. You guide this naive adventurer through the story, but who, unless you explore diligently, gets deeper and deeper into trouble until–well, some things are worse than death! Inspired by the classic dungeon-crawl adventures of yore.

JUDGES: The game will ask for your name. You can enter whatever you want, but if you enter “Inform Judge”, randomizations will be turned off, such as zombie battles.

PLAYERS: This game has two parts. Part 1 is for a bit of training: more linear plot and easier puzzles. Part 2 is less linear and the puzzles are harder. Both parts should be able to be completed within two hours.

Content warning: None

Alt Cover Text

A photograph of a Christian cemetery, where most (but not all) tombstones are crosses. Lush green grass and a dark green forest in the background and a small church or mausoleum or something or other. Near the POV is a tomb with a grave headstone statue depicting an angel with wings looking down solemnly, holding a hand in the air. No text is on the cover art.

Curious cover, considering how simple it is. Supposedly this is a site of interest! I’d say probably somewhere in the UK, which isn’t too much of a wild guess. Even less wild: somewhere in Europe. Anyway, I have to say I’m fascinated by the angel. She/he is looking down, and I can only wonder what they are thinking about. The gesture with hands is, I assume, a holy gesture.

The blurb, however, is even more interesting. Chapel? I’m correct! Okay, but seriously. Classic dungeon-crawl-esque. The whole blurb is meta, trying to attract and inform players instead of immerse them. Not necessarily bad, just a choice. Stopping mid sentence to go "well, " and then end a sentence about fates worse than death with an exclamation mark is almost always going to be light, unless it’s a B-movie, in which case it’s still light and not too serious. It mentions removing chance, supposedly to allow the game to fit within the time limit and feel repetitive in the time they do have. Then it talks about the two parts and how they feel, but unless you can choose to skip Act 1, I wouldn’t personally mention anything about acts and even if you could, I’d reword it. And one thing: no need to put “None” for the content warning! If there end up being CW-worthy encounters - and with mentioning fates worse than death, I wouldn’t be surprised - then it makes it seem slightly overconfident and doesn’t entirely look good later. But that’s a small quibble!

Overall, a very basic cover and a blurb that feels slightly overconfident.

Where Nothing Is Ever Named

Blurb

A brief escape puzzle inspired by Chapter 3 of “Through the Looking-Glass” by Lewis Carroll.

Alt Cover Text

A vague ink drawing of what, after time, seems to be a thin tree in some sort of barn?

I may be looking into this too much, but I glance at the artwork and I ask myself - is that deliberately vague? There’s something about it. At first, I thought it was a drone image of London city with the Thames meeting another river. But just now, I looked more closely to see a tree? It’s hard to make out details. And with a name such as “Where Nothing Is Ever Named”, I think: maybe what’s in the image isn’t meant to be named…

But maybe I’m looking at it too closely. The blurb is weirdly simple, giving no explanation except that it’s going to be confusing considering it’s an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland (yes, yes, the Looking Glass, but it’s still Wonderland itself). Oooh, escape puzzle? Fascinating!

Overall, seemingly deliberate in its vagueness, leaving you with a curiosity that’ll probably never be named.

3 Likes

ROD MCSCHLONG GETS PUNCHED IN THE DONG

Blurb

Once again, it’s exactly what it sounds like.

Content warning: Flashing images, crude humour, testicular trauma

Alt Cover Text

Oh it’s exactly what is sounds like.

Fine, big bold capital text letters spelling out the title, and to the left a stick figure with a swinging fist, and to the right a stick figure caught mid-air flying backwards from the punch, with a stick-figure … dong, I guess you could call it?

Oh, no. No no.

This is the cruelty I’m thinking about. I got the good version last year, and here it is again. But with a different piece of genitalia… And the exact same layout cover. Nothing more to say.

I’m wondering. Now it says “It’s exactly what it sounds like” again. So potentially that’s a misleading blurb? Maybe this time there’s a different gimmick?

… I dunno, I’m wishing on a starI guess.

Overall, exactly what it sounds like (again).

3 Likes