Understand "cut [something] with [something]" as cutting it with.
After cutting the tripwire with glass shards:
The error message is:
You wrote ‘Understand “cut [something] with [something]” as cutting it with’ : but ‘understand … as …’ should be followed by a meaning, which might be an action (e.g., ‘understand “take [something]” as taking’), a thing (‘understand “stove” as the oven’) or more generally a value (‘understand “huitante” as 80’), or a named token for use in further grammar (‘understand “near [something]” as “[location phrase]”’). Also, the meaning needs to be precise, so ‘understand “x” as a number’ is not allowed - it does not say which number.
So the way I interpret it is, I should specify it’s an action applying to two things. But when I try to do that, it tells me that Inform already understands cutting.
I think the Understand statement just uses “cut”, since that’s what the player is likely to type. This minimal action specification pulled from the example seems to work:
Understand "cut [something] with [something]" as cutting it with.
Cutting it with is an action applying to two things.