I'm Mr. Pinhead again

The intent of my code is to create a condition for the off-staging of a ghost that appears randomly and the sudden presence of the monster in the player’s location, the first time being in the Attic.

The code is:

[code]Every turn:
if ghost is off-stage:
now monster is in location.

Instead of doing anything with the mouldy book: say “You sit and read how Dr. Frankenstein created his famous and feared monster. One passage especially disturbs you, the one that tells you that opening the book allows the ghost which has been pursuing you to gain physical form. You toss the book to the floor and prepare to leave, but as you do the monster appears and roars in your face.”

After taking mouldy book: now ghost is off-stage; now monster is in Attic.[/code]
But it doesn’t happen. The monster doesn’t appear in the Attic and the ghost still wanders randomly.
Anybody see where the problem lies?

Your “Instead of doing anything with the mouldy book…” overrides the taking action, so “After taking mouldy book…” is never reached.

Also “Now monster is in THE location.”

So, should I use a check rule instead?

Carry out.

Carry out examining mouldy book when the ghost is not off-stage: [this prevents the action from happening over and over]
—now the ghost is off-stage; [— is a tab]
—now the monster is in the location of the player;
—now mouldy book is in the location. [remember in the description you said the PC tosses it?]

The description of mouldy book is “You sit and read how Dr. Frankenstein created his famous and feared monster. One passage especially disturbs you, the one that tells you that opening the book allows the ghost which has been pursuing you to gain physical form[first time]. You toss the book to the floor and prepare to leave, but as you do the monster appears and roars in your face[only].” [first time/only keeps this part of the description from showing on subsequent examine.]