IFComp 2024 planning to enter

Thought it might be fun to see which folks can say at the moment that they’re planning to enter IFComp next year. And note the competition in 2024 will be running a month earlier than this year and previously. Which I welcome.

I’ve been so inspired by IFComp and its buzz this year that I’m aiming to enter for my second time. My game is called Bad Beer. It’s one of several works in progress I have, but is a nice length for the competition, and I’ve planned the design before.

Who else is planning to be there? I’m especially keen to hear from newcomers, or people like me returning from the past.

30 Likes

I’m hoping to! I’ve had a lot of fun with re-entering the IF scene and a comp is a great motivator to actually finish and release something.

17 Likes

I’m tempted, and I have an idea, but I might skip another year before I submit something again. Just to give my enough time to prepare for it properly (not like last time :joy: ).
It’d probably be in Twine, and not playable on mobile again, and with puzzles maybe. And of course, dumb puns :stuck_out_tongue:

:eye: :lips: :eye:

18 Likes

My wife asked me if I was going to enter next year. It’d be nice to. I want to experiment with writing shorter, tighter experiences but it might take me more than 10 months to do so.

But if y’all can decide on next year’s boat-like theme, that’d be great so I can aim at that.

15 Likes

I’m hoping to! :blush: I’d like to aim for a more “fun” experience next year, haha.
I already have an idea for a story and a central mechanic, but I’m not sure yet if it’s technically sound. It should be interesting to experiment with regardless!

14 Likes

Yup, hoping to enter. Maybe this will be the year we finally get our white whale idea out. Then again, we also planned to enter this year and for various reasons couldn’t make it work, so who knows what’ll happen?

16 Likes

I would like to. But I have to up my game. I have a project I have been developing for quite awhile. Maybe? :wink:

13 Likes

I am planning to enter! It’ll be my first time, so I’m super excited.

22 Likes

no comment.

Dott. Piergiorgio.

14 Likes

This far out, I always plan to enter. But ask me again in July. :wink:

16 Likes

Good question. I’m no stranger to competitions, but I’ve never entered the “big three” (ECTOCOMP, Spring Thing & IF Comp). Now that I’m retired, maybe 2024 is the year to address that.

17 Likes

I am planning to enter the game I’ve been intending to enter for the past two years, a big huge choice-based game called LEVIATHAN. I decided to start over from scratch a few months ago, so I think that means I’m about 1/3 through. Even with one less month to finish it, it could happen!

17 Likes

I’m thinking of doing something like @BrettW: a (much) shorter and tighter experience, probably called WITHOUT (YOU/ME). I’m not sure what to do about the you/me part of the name. (I want it but I feel I should just call my game WITHOUT.

This game is playing on the idea of “this is a classic IFComp winner” in a way that I think you will see if you try to play it later, but I think it’s a really cool idea. Let’s see no’s if I can pull it off :wink: I’m having trouble with puzzles already. I need more time!

12 Likes

Also planning to enter, and I had the same thought. I was in a serious place this last year, and I’m planning to be less so next time around, fingers-crossed!

13 Likes

Yes! This was soooo much fun. I am 358 pages into
the Inform 7 manual… Maybe I can get proficient in time. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I’m planning to enter, and I have a demo I’ve shown to a few testers.

We’ll see what happens!

E: I’ve referred to this on tumblr as my “cave game.”

14 Likes

I have absolutely no ideas at this point, but if inspiration strikes, I would enjoy joining again. Prince Quisborne hints at a sequel, but if that happens it’s probably several years down the road…

17 Likes

Don’t worry about reading it all the way through. Just find something where you say “Aha, I didn’t know you could do this,” then build a small demo and expound on it.

Speaking as someone who learned it 10+ years ago, I think this is the best way–or if not the best way, it left me less frustrated with the parts I didn’t understand yet.

Some sections meant little or nothing to me for a while, until I needed them or wondered “can Inform do that?” or “can Inform do that better?” And yes, it could.

Also, look at source code of works you really like and wonder “How’d they do that?” Source code’s more prolific now, what with GitHub being more prominent. I wound up learning a lot of I6 from Friar Bacon’s Secret.

As for the original question, I’m glad someone else asked it. The white whale in this thread seems within reach. But I might have something smaller to write, too.

17 Likes

Second on this. PYHITPH is basically built on me discovering the “include” function and using it for everything. Right now I’m trying to wrap my head around arrays, because I have no idea what they’re actually good for, but when I find out what, it’s all over for you suckers (pointing threateningly at incomplete game ideas in my head).

Anyway, yeah, definitely see you all next year. The game will probably be Squidaddle, but no promises.

16 Likes

I have something planned for next year.

The plot is mostly set. The mechanics need some time to iron out.

This one actually grew out of my Bare Bones Jam entry. However, due to what I am planning, Choicescript is no longer the best medium. I am thus switching the medium to parser. Judging from what happened this year, it’s going to be one hell of a ride…

Aim to get into the top 50, I guess? Heard that Tabitha and maybe Kastel and some more newcomers are joining too. This is in the sense of having reviewed but have yet to participate.

First spoiler alert: The title of the game is: Welcome to Hellwaters.

More questions: Which one has the gentlest learning curve: Inform, Adrift or TADS?

12 Likes