IFComp 2023 Review Spreadsheet

It will be in a minute :wink:

Edit: DONE!

7 Likes

The median for Total review is now 5!
I think the “Public” one will become 4 very soon too.

5 Likes

Public media is now 4!
(this will be edited, cause some reviews are mssing)

EDIT: all up to date again :slight_smile:
The Public reviews have also passed 300!

EDIT 2: all games have now 2 reviews!

7 Likes

400 reviews!!

8 Likes

Wohooo, well done everyone! Do we have historical data for number of reviews? How does this compare to previous editions?

1 Like

Here is last year:

2021:

2020:

2019:

Doesn’t look like there was some for earlier. Haven’t checked the content of the sheets just yet (currently reading the reviews I missed since yesterday :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Amazing, thank you very much! Now I feel bad for causing you to go looking for each thread :slight_smile:

2019: 792
2020: 1,124
2021: 797
2022: 836

…so it feels like we’re on track for a very strong year, in terms of review numbers? Unless it is typical behavior to have most reviews done in the early days and then taper out? I have no idea. But it’s good news regardless!

3 Likes

It does look like it, but it might be more interesting to look at the means/medians since each comp had different numbers of entries.

I’ve been wondering about that, so I made the timestamps of milestones in the first post. Maybe next year we will know for sure :wink:
(or someone needs to go through the spreadsheet threads to see if someone posted about milestones…)

Could be interesting to compare with the SpringThing too…

2 Likes

Very thoughtful of you!

Looking at those raw numbers, well, not exactly a representative sample, but it kinda looks like 800 reviews is the magic number, and 2020 was a crazy outlier for some reason?

Could be interesting to compare with the SpringThing too…

And IntroComp perhaps? I have no solid data, but my feeling was always that it’s much smaller.

1 Like

There was a clear downward trend in 2021. So linear extrapolation from 400 to 1800 or so doesn’t work.

But I still think we’re on pace for ~1200.

Because at this point in 2021, we’d had about 1/3 of the total reviews in. I suppose we could take data points for the graphs based on the spreadsheet’s history. That’s a lot of work, though.

Here’s what I had from what I tracked.

2020 may’ve been an anomaly with COVID and also lots more entries. But for whatever reason, lots of activity this year.

6 Likes

2020 was the year with the most entries ever at the IFComp too :stuck_out_tongue:
So outlier on a lot of fronts.

Doesn’t seem to be more than 2-3 threads for the IntroComp, so it would be hard to compare, imo.

2 Likes

I think in most of those years, there were 70is games, except 2020 had 103 (and plus it was earlyish in COVID so folks might have had more time), so that’s the main reason it’s relatively higher.

My sense is also that we’re on track for a higher than usual number this year - lots of new folks writing lots of great reviews!

2 Likes

Review sheet is updated. I think we’re going to see a new median for the total review soon.

3 Likes

I guess theoretically someone could throw together a script that programmatically looks at timestamps, too? This would probably take a little work but not be too terrible.

Two major obstances:

• Most of the reviews are here on the intfiction.org forums, and IIRC, the TOS here explicitly prohibit programmatic access by non-human agents; and
  • Each external blog host will need to be specially coded to scrape data from that particular website; I count at least three other hosts at a quick, non-comprehensive glance.

Might be worthwhile after the comp is over, though, if the moderators here are willing to grant permission for that particular usage. I’m curious to see what the data actually is.

Hmm, that’s interesting. Is a prediction thread going to happen this year?

Last year, @cchennnn posted hers around the end of the Voting period.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I see no issue with it. The content of the forum is also periodically uploaded to the Archive, which might be an easier format to scrape for previous years.

2 Likes

Another way to get at this data is to look at the version history of the spreadsheet, which can give you a rough idea of when the reviews were accumulating. As of about this time last year, I see 300 total, 201 public. It looks like we really are on track to do much better this time around… nice work everybody!

4 Likes

Yes! I have the lowest number of votes! That means more coming later, I guess, so there shouldn’t be times with no reviews left.

(The reason I’m happy is literally for no reason, but I still am :joy:)

5 Likes

Sorry, have been off for a bit. The Spreadsheet is up to date again (excluding external sources not posted here…).
Some milestones passed:

• the public median is now 6
  • the non-author median is now 5

I think in a few days we’ll have passed 500 reviews (I’m guessing this weekend)

8 Likes