I7 : Look at Hannibals goat costume

Okay, I’m stuck … again … I officially hate this possessive stuff! :imp:

Does anyone know if it is possible to enable sentences like Look at Hannibals goat costume?

(Look at his goat costume works fine, though. So why not Hannibal?)

[code]The Forest is a room.

Hannibal is a man in the Forest.
The goat costume is a thing. A goat costume is wearable.
The description of the goat costume is “Plenty authentic. You should try it.”
The goat costume is worn by Hannibal.[/code]

Sorry! :blush:

I forgot about:

Include Possession and Ownership by Shadow Wolf.

Perhaps I’m missing the point of your question…but is there a reason you can’t do this?

[code]“Hannibal’s Costume”

Masquerade Ball is a room.

A costume is a kind of thing. A costume is wearable. Understand “costume” as a costume.

Hannibal is a man in Masquerade ball.

Hannibal’s goat costume is worn by Hannibal. It is proper-named. The description is “Rather gnarly. You hope it’s fake.”. Understand “hannibals/hannibal [hannibal’s goat costume]” as hannibal’s goat costume.

Hannibal carries a glass of Chianti.

Rule for printing the name of hannibal’s goat costume when hannibal’s goat costume is worn by hannibal:
say “his goat costume”.

Last report examining someone (called chap):
if chap wears something:
say “[Chap] is wearing [a list of things worn by chap].”

test me with “x hannibal/x hannibal’s costume/x hannibals goat costume”

[/code]

Just a guess here, but possibly you’re running into the 9-letter-input issue. To test whether this is the case, try adding the following to a Glulx project:

Use DICT_WORD_SIZE of 15.

If it now works, that was the issue. (More explanation can be found at Recipe Book §2.2. Varying What Is Read ).

Is the issue that you want things like “Hannibals” to automatically refer to something worn by Hannibal, the way (if I remember correctly) Shadowolf’s extension makes sure that “Hannibal’s” automatically refers to things worn by Hannibal? That would be trickier; the extension (again, if I remember) does that for “Hannibal’s” by inserting a space before the apostrophe, so it can then check the string “Hannibal 's” to make sure that “Hannibal” is the name of a person and it’s followed by the word “'s”. But you won’t be able to do that for every word ending in an s, because some of them are supposed to have the s attached.

Brilliant, that’s probably it!.