[I7 IDE; Windows] Opening Extensions in Project Folders

Okay, as if we needed further proof, this will show how dumb I am.

In the Windows Inform 7 IDE, how do you open extensions that are in your project materials folder? The menu option is “Open Installed Extensions” but an extension that is only project-specific is not considered installed.

I tried opening an existing installed extension (which opens a different type of application window) to see if I could just open my extension from that, essentially overwriting what was in there. But the “extension window” (for editing extensions) doesn’t have an Open menu option.

I can’t double click the extension itself because, unlike on Mac, it doesn’t seem there’s a specific application to map an .i7x file to. (Mapping it to Inform tries to open a new project.)

This isn’t a problem until you’ve created a few such project extensions, closed the windows, and then realize you don’t have an easy way to reopen them to work on them again. Or … do you and I’m just missing it?

I had the same problem, and I think it’s not possible. I just open them in another editor (VS Code in my case), but that’s not ideal for everyone.

1 Like

Fair enough. It’s actually enough for me to know I’m not going entirely stupid in my old age and missing something terribly obvious.

In my case, I decided to use Atom with the Inform 7 language extension.

This is a known issue: http://inform7.com/mantis/view.php?id=1386