I7 and sound effects support

Does I7 support playing sounds on command? I would like to augment my story with sound effects, but have not found anything that supports it.
-Falsoon

Chapter 23 of Writing with Inform, which should be installed in the “Documentation” panel of your Inform IDE, includes some information on working with sounds. Most of it is in sections 23.7 and 23.8, but you’ll probably need to read at least some of the rest of the chapter for context.

Briefly, sounds need to be in AIFF or Ogg Vorbis format, and need to be in a specific place in the project folder tree. Once that’s true, you can write Inform statements like

Sound of ghostly moaning is the file "ghostly moan.ogg".

After the player entering Haunted Room: play the sound of ghostly moaning.

Not all interpreters support sounds, and some players playing with interpreters that support sound turn down their volume.

2 Likes

Patrick,
Thanks so much. I remember reading about the sound format, but nothing about their application.
Thanks again. I think sound adds the emotional contect to the story.
-Falsoon

| Patrick Mooney
September 25 |

• | - |

Chapter 23 of Writing with Inform, which should be installed in the “Documentation” panel of your Inform IDE, includes some information on working with sounds. Most of it is in sections 23.7 and 23.8, but you’ll probably need to read at least some of the chapter for context.

Briefly, sounds need to be in AIFF or Ogg Vorbis format, and need to be in a specific place in the project folder tree. Once that’s true, you can write Inform statements like

Sound of ghostly moaning is the file "ghostly moan.ogg".

After the player entering Haunted Room: play the sound of ghostly moaning.

Not all interpreters support sounds, and some players playing with interpreters that support sound turn down their volume.

1 Like

I have done a parser game with extensive sounds and music. The limitation is not every interpreter will play sounds. That said, the sound was not too terribly difficult to implement, but I got lots of feedback of people responding “What sounds? I listen to my own music when playing games, LOL!”

That is one of the primary reasons I usually write in a choice system now - I enjoy multimedia presentation and it does add a lot. I just want to make sure the work I do on audio isn’t an optional part of the experience.

If you commit to having your game online-only, you can either use Vorple (I saw a great game today that uses that for sound!) or you can hand-roll some javascript to play music on command. But then it won’t work for downloads.

1 Like

Brian,
Online only works for me since many of my intended audience members don’t know how to download and setup the i7 accoutrements.
Thanks for the comment.
-Falsoon

1 Like

Hanon,
I think the player is cutting themselves short. Listening to an irrelevant soundtrack is not nearly the same thing
as a timed and themed sound effect at the right moment to build an emotional ambience; but…to each his own.
Thanks for the comment.
-Falsoon