I ran out of ideas for software projects in UK Covid Lockdown 2!

Me again! Sorry about this but I’ve missed a couple of things I should have spotted ages ago, all a bit embarrassing by the high standards I set for myself. So in the Runner, a) the Startup task now only runs literally at start up, and not when you load a Saved game; b) also for Saved games, the background task list wasn’t being saved and restored, so there is now a .sfb file which only ever appears in a Saved folder and is never part of a game distribution.That file is just a list of task names and could be an empty file. Fortunately the fixes were trivial! This information is needed by the game author, not the player, so the Help for the Generator got a couple of tweaks. Therefore both programs are now at V1.2.

Oh and I’ve added a new table to the web page entitled Bigger games (biut not Big!) which has all of one game in it. Watch that space!

1 Like

OOer! Some weird text got into the sfo file for Adventure Strikes When You least Expect It, so I deleted it and put the changed game back on my website. I also found a spurious blank line at the start of the sfo file for Dance Fever USA. Not sure why, but that seems harmless, but just in case I updated that game too.

1 Like

Just so y’all know, the generator is now at V1.2 and the runner is at V1.4 and I’ve just put up another game.

I can see there have been a reasonable number of downloads of the generator but nobody has sent me a game to publish yet! Aww go on, you know it makes sense :smile:

2 Likes

Hello @RacingDog ,

I downloaded “Pieces of Eden” and “The Ghost of the Evil Chicken of Doom” but they are both empty zip files! I was able to download “Pathway to Destruction” and play it, though.

I think this is a really cool system. You must have had a lot of fun making it and porting all those games.

My feedback:
I wish the action buttons were in a row underneath the “here you can see…” and “you possess…” windows, or maybe that they took the place of the “you could say…” window. To click on an action button and then move the cursor all the way to the left to click on the scenery, and then all the way back over to the right and so forth, doesn’t feel very fluid and makes me focus more on the interface than on the game itself.

Also, I would like to be able to customize the colors of the windows (as a player - maybe you can do that as an author? I haven’t tried it). Maybe choosing from different presets could be an option?

I’ll get back to this later this evening, I’m in the middle of something else.

BUT…

We have our own web server, so I can check zip file contents just like any local files. I’ve just looked inside both those files and they both have the games in them! So I tried to download using Firefox, they turned up empty! I tried redoing the files. Same result.I then checked the click counter gadget. Oops! Pieces of Eden was writen like that whereas it should have been Pieces%20of%20Eden!!! Ditto for Ghost. Both now download OK for me.

Can I just suggest a retry and get back to me?

I checked the other games. Some of the others had the same problem! Thanks to all those people who didn’t get back to me, I could have fixed this sooner if you had.

I’ll get back to you on the rest later, it’s dinner time now!

2 Likes

OK, dinner done, and I’ve checked all my download file names too!

This will ramble a bit and you will like some of it but not all, but please bear with me.

I am 74. I have a, thankfully slow acting, incurable cancer. I write programs only for my benefit. I put them on my web site just on the off chance somebody else can make use of them. So given that I have other things to do in an unknown time frame, I do things that I want to do. But that doesn’t mean I can’t be persuaded to want things you might want!

Whilst I spent around 50 years doing software, mainly at a very senior level, across all sorts of application areas, one of the constant themes across all of those areas was Testing. The most important two lessons that I learnt from that is that the cost of fixing bugs increases exponentially with the stage of the project, i.e. it gets very much worse over time. The other lesson is that the more lines of code you write then the number of bugs also increases exponentially. That latter makes me very wary of Options! Look at the average Office style application. There are loads of different ways of doing the same thing. Had I written such an app there would have been very few options, not because I wanted to be mean to users, or because I couldn’t be bothered, but simply to make the software more reliable than it usually is when “big tech” writes it.

So all of that colours what follows, but doesn’t solely define it!.

Moving the buttons I’m not likely to do because not only are there a different number of buttons that apply to the different panels, which would look untidy to my eyes, but there would need to be two Examine buttons. Some people may find two buttons less confusing, I find it more confusing because I think of the operation as “applies to any object”. I think that because that is how traditional Text adventures normally work, you type in “Examine Thing” regardless of where “Thing” is. Simple IF already diverges significantly from other platforms and I didn’t want to go too far in case that in itself puts people off. But that doesn’t mean I don’t understand the request! I shan’t say I’ll never do it your way, but it will be very much a back burner consideration until a bright idea strikes me!

As for colours, yes that seems reasonable, but as I implied above, I have this allergy to Options because they tend to just introduce bugs. So, I’ve got other things to do at the moment, (a blues weekend in Torquay this weekend for starters!) but that request is going on the To Do list, just don’t hold your breath. Keep checking the messages on my web site is the best I can say right now.

To everyone else, please don’t ask for window sizing. It is fairly easy when there are not many controls visible at any one time, but, despite its small size the Simple IF apps are unusually densely full of controls and there is no magic Windows command to do it for you, you have to resize and relocate everything yourself. It would double the code size of the generator!

4 Likes

Some interesting background there, Derek, and I’m reminded that I do need to have a closer look at this thing you’ve made when I stumble upon some of that increasingly scarce resource: spare time. Hopefully this will be before I retire (with the current UK economic outlook that’s likely to be when I’m around 120) but if not, I’m sure someone else will get there first! In any case, I’m glad you’ve written it and put it out there for people to find, which is a much better place for it to be than just sitting on your hard drive.

More to the point, though, what about this blues weekend in Torquay? Why don’t I ever get invited to a blues weekend in Torquay?? Must be who you know.

OK, just so people know, but we’d better e-mail further discussion as it’s off-topic, my local blues club is run as a sort of hobby by the lady wot also runs a music agency. As part of that business she organises various weekend events in hotels, history over a pint sometime. I don’t normally go to the 3 Jump Jive or 3 Rock & Roll weekends as they are basically all about the dancers, i.e. 2.5 to 3.5 minute songs (and by R&R I mean real R&R, Chuck Berry Little Richard etc). Where as the 4 Blues weekends are about the music, if it needs 10 minutes then it takes 10 minutes, if 2.5 then 2.5. The link for the Blues weekends is here.

Drop me a mail if yer coming people.

1 Like

So what with all the cricket on TV and the hot weather I’ve had several bouts of software apathy, interrupted only by the need to improve the error handling in SIF Runner for a rare, but could happen in several places bug (V1.5)!

Now however I’ve done the requested colour editor for the runner. BUT, it is very simplistic and offers only a small range of colours. Check out the Help file under Using the Runner/The other buttons on the toolbar which explains everything. Briefly, the main reason for the lack of choice is that I have been cursed with clumsy hands which now also have a chemotherapy induced shake. This makes using the standard colour dialog a nightmare for me, and being aware that there are people with even worse hands than mine, I wanted to totally take that into account. The saving grace is that once you’ve used V1.6 once, the program’s ini file contains all the colour selections as 6 digit hex numbers so if you know what you are doing you can fiddle around there in a text editor to get the colours you really really want. You still can’t do clever things like Hue etc as my view is that the program is for playing games, not for Cistine Chapel complexity!

Anyway, it should be better than nothing!

Cheers,
Derek

1 Like

On reflection, I decided the number of colours was massively too sparse, so I’ve improved it to too sparse! For the benefit of those with impaired colour vision, I also added an extra column which indicates in hex the densities used in each row of the colour table. The program logic didn’t change so I called this version 1.6.1.