Hyperlinks and simple chat

It’s been a while since I posted anything on here, but when you’re traveling and broke you don’t get much time to write interactive fiction.

So anyways I’m making my game completely keyboard-less and using Inline Hyperlinks for this. The problem comes when I try to ad a link to a quip

Respond-StandThere is a chat node with quip "[link]Stand there.[as]1[end link]". Rule for finding responses to Respond-StandThere: Link to Respond-BadDream

When the player clicks the link they get the message

Is there anyway to stop Inline Hyperlinks from trying to report the link (I’d like to disable this completely because even without an error I don’t like it)

Still no answer? Is there any way to disable hyperlinks printing the command?

ex:

say "[link]door[as]go north[end link]"

If you’re getting rid of all typing, the easiest way to do it is probably just to delist the “print text to the input prompt rule” from Glulx Entry Points. That’s the routine that prints text to the command line from most glulx extensions that provide alternative means of player input. Here’s that rule, just fyi:

A command-showing rule (this is the print text to the input prompt rule): say input-style-for-glulx; say Glulx replacement command; say roman type;

saying its not listed in the rulebook gets me the error

Looks as though you made a copying error, repeating the word ‘rule’.

:blush: but it still doesn’t work

The name of the rule is “the print text to the input prompt rule”. It is a command-showing rule.

Alright, that got rid of the prompt, but I still get the error

The problem is likely that Simple Chat handles command input itself rather than using the standard interface. I’m not familiar enough with that extension to help. But I can say that, at a basic level, all you really need to do to have a hyperlink-only game with no command prompt using Inline Hyperlinks is to add the following two lines to your code:

[code]The print text to the input prompt rule is not listed in any rulebook.

When play begins: now the command prompt is “”.[/code]

Here is a complete example, extending one of the examples from the Inline Hyperlinks documentation using those two lines.

[spoiler][code]Include Inline Hyperlinks by Erik Temple.

The print text to the input prompt rule is not listed in any rulebook.

When play begins: now the command prompt is “”.

The Jungle is a room. “You are [swing state] from a thick, rope-like vine. Another dangles from the canopy twenty-five or so feet away. A thick jungle mist obscures the view beyond, as well as the forest floor.”

Before reading a command:
say “You can [link]swing[end link] or [link]release[as]jump[end link].”

Yourself can be hanging or swaying. Yourself is hanging.

Instead of swinging yourself:
if the player is swaying:
say “You swing faster.”;
otherwise:
say “You sway a bit to get the vine moving, and soon are swinging in a wide arc.”;
now the player is swaying.

To say swing state:
if the player is hanging:
say “hanging”;
say “swinging”.

Instead of jumping:
say “You release the vine, impeccably timing your leap. You grab onto the other vine and hold. Through the mist you see yet another vine hanging thirty feet or so ahead.”;
now the player is hanging;
otherwise:
say “You release the vine and drop toward the jungle floor. Tumbling through the mist, you land hard on [one of]a thorn-tree; the baroque profusion of spines the size of railroad spikes ends your life[or]a massive hill of flesh-eating ants. They swarm over you before you can regain your feet[or]a path used exclusively by stampeding boars; a pack of the loathsome creatures happens to be passing[purely at random].”;
end the game in death.

Understand “swing” as swinging.

Rule for supplying a missing noun while swinging:
now the noun is yourself.

Instead of doing anything other than looking or swinging or jumping:
say “There is no time for anything but survival.”[/code][/spoiler]

EDIT: I suppose I should note that this would not actually stop the player from entering text at the command prompt if he/she wants to. That’s a bit more difficult and would require a bit more work.