How well does Inform 7 handle singular "they"?

Singular “they” is a bit of a weird beast in English, since it’s grammatically plural even when it’s semantically singular (*). This leads to some interesting verb agreement when it’s used generically…

When someone comes in here, ask them what they want.

…and also specifically…

Z looks up at you. They smile.

(Both verbs in each sentence have the same semantic subject, but the first one has a singular form to agree with “someone” and “Z”, and the second one has a plural form to agree with “they”.)

Does the Inform 7 English library have a good way of handling this?

My first thought is to put a new grammatical property on objects (alongside “masculine”, “feminine”, “neuter”, “plural-named”, and “ambiguously plural”), called “singular-they” or the like. The objects would then be singular-named and ambiguously plural, so that they get singular verbs by default but are recognized as “they” by the parser. And when the pronoun-printing machinery prints a subject pronoun for a “singular-they” object, it also sets the prior naming context to plural, switching to plural verbs.

Is this a good way to handle it, or is there a more straightforward solution?

(*) The same is true of singular “you” and singular “we”, but those are easier to handle because they’re unlikely to appear alongside names.

6 Likes

Did you have any luck with your experiments? I’m about to have a look at the English Language library to learn how it deals with pronouns in general, and with pronouns like ‘you’. See if I can’t make something happen.

Surely there should also be a way to introduce new pronouns, and whatever it is, it’s probably simpler. But like you, I also want this to be a thing. You’re not wrong about singular ‘they’ being a strange beast, though; both in English, and for computers! :grin: