How to play ADRIFT 5 games (Android and Windows)

Since a couple of reviewers have experienced that online play of ADRIFT games is too slow (not everyone experiences this though), it is recommended to download the story-file (.blorb or .taf) and play locally.

This can be done on Android devices as well as on Windows machines. I have made a pdf-document explaining how to do that: How to play ADRIFT 5 games.zip (786.0 KB)

3 Likes

I recently got a question about playing ADRIFT games with Fabularium (thanks!) and I realized that many might not know this:

You can play both ADRIFT 4 games and ADRIFT 5 games with Fabularium on Android devices.

However: By default Fabularium uses the ADRIFT 5 interpreter Bebek, which is not very good for playing ADRIFT 4 games as it makes ADRIFT 4 games appear bugged. It is highly recommended to apply the Scare interpreter instead when you play ADRIFT 4 games.

To make this change in Fabularium, click on “Explore” and open the file “fab.ini”. In this file you must find the line:

#terp scare

and remove the “#” to activate the Scare interpreter:

terp scare (remember to click Save after the change)

If you did it correctly, you cannot play ADRIFT 5 games now, only ADRIFT 4 games, which should now work must better.

If you want to play ADRIFT 5 games again, you just change it back by adding the “#” again:

#terp scare (remember to click Save)

BTW, if your ADRIFT game has the extension “.blorb” it is definitely an ADRIFT 5 game. If it has the extension “.taf” it is probably an ADRIFT 4 game, though it could be an ADRIFT 5 game. Thus, if you have a taf-file but don’t know if it was made with ADRIFT 4 or 5, try to run it with the Scare intepreter. If it cannot run with the Scare interpreter, but only with the Bebek interpreter, it is an ADRIFT 5 game. The IFID also reveals whether it is an ADRIFT 4 or 5 game.

4 Likes