How to implement the acsess to the next text by inputing a word?

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: 2.3.14
Story Format: Harlowe 3.2.2.

Hello!

I’m an English teacher, and I’m trying to implement gamefication to the education of my students.

I want to make a little game a.k.a. dungeon-crawler, and I thought about 2 options:

1. A student finishes their homework and get a number\word to open a new text paragrahp of the story.
  2. A student finishes their homework and get a number\word to open a new choice\action in the story.

I’m not a gamedev and I think it’ll take a plenty of time until I find that option in cookbookes)

I’d much oblidged to you for help!

There are a number of ways to track if something has occurred during the play-though of a project, one of the simplest is to use a Boolean variable.

1: Use the (set:) macro to initialise the Boolean variable to its default state.
(Generally done within your project’s startup tagged Passage.)

(set: $hasLamp to false)

2: Update the current state of the Boolean variable then the “thing” has occurred.

(link: "Get Lamp")[(set: $hasLamp to true)]

3: Use one of the (if:) family of macros to conditionally do something based on the current true or false state of the Boolean variable.

<!-- To check for true -->
(if: $hasLamp)[You see the contents of the room.]

<!-- To check for false -->
(unless: $hasLamp)[It is too dark to see!]

(if: not $hasLamp)[It is too dark to see!]

In the use-case where you want to do one of two possible things you would use a structure like the following…

(if: $hasLamp)[You see the contents of the room.]
(else:)[It is too dark to see!]

The validation of end-user input is a little more complex, especially within Harlowe which allows limited usage of JavaScript to force the end-user to enter a correct data-type.

Harlowe has two basic methods for allowing the end-user to enter a value:

1: The (prompt:) macro.

Which delays the execution of any Passage content that proceeds the (prompt:) macro until the end-user has interacted with the shown dialog, thus making it easier for that proceeding content to make use of the entered value.

(set: $code to (prompt: "Your code, please:", "", "Cancel", "Confirm"))

code: $code
valid: (if: $code is "abcde")[yes](else:)[no]

However there are a couple of issues with the above example:

• There is no way to force the end-user to actually enter a value.
    eg. resulting in code equalling an Empty String ("").
  • The end-user may use letter casing different to what you expect.
    eg. "AbcDE" instead of "abcde"
  • The end-user may include SPACE characters where you weren’t expecting them.
    eg. " abcbe" or "abcde " or " abcde "

So you may need to “clean” the entered value, using macros like (trimmed:) and (lowercase:), before you can make use of it.

(set: $code to (prompt: "Your code, please:", "", "Cancel", "Confirm"))

(if: $code is not "")[
	(set: $code to (lowercase: (trimmed: $code)))
]

debug info:

2: The (input-box:) macro.

Which does NOT delay the execution of any Passage content that proceeds the (input-box:) macro so you need to find some means to introduce such a delay, like using one of the (link:) family of macros.

notes: This input method has the same potential invalid data issues as the 1st, so you likely will need to “clean” that data. I’m making use of a Named Hook and (rerun:) macro combination to allow for the dynamic updating of the “debug” information, which you likely won’t need in your implementation.

(input-box: bind $code, "X=", 1, "")

(link-repeat: "Check Code")[{
	(if: $code is not "")[
		(set: $code to (lowercase: (trimmed: $code)))
	]
	(rerun: ?debug)
}]

|debug>[
]

Oh, it doesn’t sound easy at all, however I hope your Владимировна l Стоматология l comprehensive answer will come in handy!

Thank you!!!