How to hide already visited passages in Harlowe?

Twine Version: Version 2.3.16
Story Format: Harlowe 3.2.3

Hello fellow Twine User. :) 

I am currently making a game with Twine/Harlowe 3.2.3 and have a question.

I want to have multiple choices in one passage wich will appear as questions but i want the questions you already asked to disappear.

For example:

[[Ask her about her place]]
[[Ask her about herself]]
[[Ask her about the forest]]
[[Ask her about the village]]

If the player clicks on the first question it will lead you to another passage where i can just hook the other three into but what if i want twine to remember what the player already have seen? like everytime the player asks a question this will disappear completely, doesnt matter in wich order. 

I also would like to know if i can creat a go-to link to another passage if the condition is met that all questions being asked and how i could do that.

Thank you in advance and greetings, UnholyKn1ght. :)

You should be able to each individual link disappear by setting a variable in each passage, then wrapping each link in an (unless:) For instance:

(unless: $a is 1)[(print: "[[Ask her about her place]]")]
(unless: $b is 1)[(print: "[[Ask her about herself]]")]
(unless: $c is 1)[(print: "[[Ask her about the forest]]")]
(unless: $d is 1)[(print: "[[Ask her about the village]]")]
1 Like

I will try it out tomorrow, thanks for the fast help. I will tell you if it worked out. :slight_smile:

Or

(unless: (visited: "Ask her about her place"))[ [[Ask her about her place]] ]

Edit: oh, and you need the spaces between the square brackets like that because otherwise the Twine editor will get the wrong idea about what the link name isā€¦ there might be other ways around that but itā€™s usually not a problem to have spaces and itā€™s probably more readable anyway.

4 Likes

I thought there was some flavor of *Twine that offered a ā€œchoice-listā€ macro where links disappear when followed. Chapbook has ā€œforksā€ but doesnā€™t mention it does this so probably not, although itā€™d be cool to have an option to mark any link as ā€œone use only.ā€

Axma did this by preceding a link with a minus -[[You can only follow this link once.]]

*I might be thinking of ChoiceScript that does thisā€¦

You might be thinking of Sugarcubeā€™s actions macro?

2 Likes

THATā€™S IT! Thank you for reminding me. I did so much waffling between Twine flavors that I didnā€™t remember what rules went with what system. Kind of how Iā€™ve played most card games but end up confusing all the rules that live in one drawer in my head. My friends get a bit annoyed when I slap the stack in RummySpades/Hearts/Poker and try to claim it!

1 Like

Yeah this is better. I havenā€™t used Harlowe in a while and couldnā€™t remember if you could nest unless and visited like that.

I canā€™t run the macro ā€˜visitedā€™ because it doesnā€™t exist.
Did you mean to run a macro? If you have a word written like (this:), it is regarded as a macro name.

This is what it gets me when i try it. o.o I also tried to change it into $visited but that also gives me an error wich is sad because i like the idea. :o

I think you need to update to version 3.3.0 to use it.

3 Likes

So the code from Josh Grams and the advice from E. Joyce to get the newest version of twine helped me out.

I just had to put: (set: $visited = 1) in my startup and tagged the visited passge with $visited.

So now i just need to know how i can make it that it will automaticly goes to another passage when every questions are done. Like i want to trigger an event with that. Any ideas? :slight_smile: