How to export story

Please specify version and format if asking for help, or apply optional tags above:
Twine Version: Twine 2
Story Format: Harlow 3.1.0

Hi, this is my first time using twine and I’m a bit confused about how to export my story. I wrote it on the browser version of the platform, but I want to export it so I can continue editing it on the mac version.

I tried to publish to file, and it led to page with a bunch of html text. When I saved the page as a file, and tried to import it on the mac version, nothing comes up. What should I do?

Thank you for your help in advance!

1 Like

Weird, that’s exactly what should happen. Although when I ‘Publish to File’, it usually downloads as an html already.

Are you sure you didn’t accidentally click ‘View Proofing Copy’?

Hi, thank you for your response.

I do click “publish to file” but it just leads me to a page with the html text and doesn’t download anything. I have to manually save the page, but when I try to import it into the actual app nothing comes up.

What you’re doing should cause it to save it as HTML, so I guess that’s some quirk of the browser you’re working in. You’ll have to say what browser you’re using and what OS you’re on for anyone to investigate that.

As a workaround, if you hit “Play” it plays your story, right? If so, save that page and then try importing that HTML file into the the Twine editor you want to work on it in.

Hope that helps! :grinning:

My guess is that you have a content blocker that is interfering.

It was a problem with my browser (safari 12.1.2). I also tried your suggestion, but my story still wouldn’t pop up on the dashboard of the twine mac app. I guess I will just have to rewrite it from scratch.

This doesn’t appear to be the case.