How do you pronounce XYZZY?

So I was watching a video by Arcweave about the game “Spider and Web” and I think he pronounced Xyzzy as “zizzy”. I realized that whenenver I come across the word, I always, always pronounce it in my mind by spelling it out. But I have never heard the word spoken out loud by any other person. I always read it, or type it, and I guess I have spelled it out ever since the Usenet days. Does anyone else do this, or am I just weird?

There are a handful of examples of “real” words in the English language that I have been pronouncing wrong all of my life, since I only encountered them in prose during my formative years and didn’t know the proper way to do so. Even when I know the correct pronounciation, I still reflexively pronounce things “my way” and then have to correct myself. Fortunately, I don’t have to read them aloud around others, usually, so chances for embarassment are minimal.

So I’m still probably going to spell out XYZZY for the rest of my life. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Spelling it out is the correct pronunciation. I will die on this hill.

13 Likes

I say it “zizzy”.

Wait, we’ve had this conversation before…

6 Likes

I’ve always pronounced it “gzyzzy”, under the influence of my native language!
It actually took me a long time to notice that in English the letter X is only fully pronounced in certain positions within a word… but I didn’t care to change my pronunciation of XYZZY at that point (partly because in French “zizi” is a phallic euphemism :slightly_smiling_face:)

I don’t think it would have ever crossed my mind to spell it out – it’s really interesting to see that multiple people interpreted it that way!

10 Likes

I put its pronounciation into the commentary track for my game as:

“Eggs, why, Zed, Zed, why?”

6 Likes

“Zy-zee” so that it rhymes with “wise-ee” not with “fizzy”.

I pronounce “plugh” to rhyme with “blue” (as “plough” rhymes with “cow”).

4 Likes

I pronounce it “zizzy” because it’s always had that sort of sizzling, exciting air to it :joy:

At the risk of tempting a precariously off-thread drift, this is also why I have complicated feelings about the name Zinaida. Gorgeous, powerful name (and also the name of a painter I quite like) with the unfortunate pet name “Zizi”.

4 Likes

Okay, who spoke XYZZY aloud and transported us backwards in time?

People, we talked about this: no messing with the Hollow Voice. Look where it got us this time. Again…

Oh, and its “KSIEZZEE”.

9 Likes

I am afraid you are all wrong, it’s “eagssy”. Heard it from a native speaker.

4 Likes

SAME!
To a French person X is a hard sound. Like Xylophone… (well, in French it’s with a “gz” sound)

5 Likes

in Italian, the X is called “ics” (hard C, sibilant S), like a softer “ch” (a diphtong for the hard C, whose is the K elsewhere), so, as in Ch/K X is pronounced Cs (an hard C followed by a sibilant S)
ZZ is the Z in Italian

Italian pronounce Y as i but older southern Italian, like me, tend to pronounce like the old interwovel J, the only semiconsonant in Italian

so, an english/american guy heard XYZZY like Ksizi or Xsjzj… with the full, musical Italian wovels, of course, I think people whose watched opera theatre should have an idea of this sound.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

7 Likes

As an American, I’ve pronounced it both

Zizzee - to rhyme with “busy”
and
Kzizzee

I can’t fully commit to either. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m on Team “It’s an Initialism, Not an Acronym”. One letter at a time, please!

I could accept this as an alternative, though. Has a nice ring to it.

5 Likes

XYZ (whether I remember to do the American pronounciation of Z to honour its origin depends on my mood).

5 Likes

TIL!
In twelve years of living with a cat called Xyzzy I never learned this.
Still, it’s not like cats of the Internet have never been called such things. This one has a suggestion for how to pronounce XYZZY:

6 Likes

As of late, I’ve been reading it like “Izzy” (like the nickname for Isabelle) or “Ighk-zee” (like the starting sound in ichneumon). Not entirely sure why. I normally don’t spell out acronyms in general, though.

5 Likes

So the “KkSs” is silent?

2 Likes

Usually I spell it out, but lately I’ve been in the habit of pronouncing it.

⟨x⟩ is a voiceless velar fricative, followed by “izzy”: [ˈxɪzi]

Which is also weird because I usually default to ⟨x⟩ being pronounced as [ʃ]—because of my Kaskhoruxa conlang—which would make “shizzy”, but I remember someone on this forum joking that they pronounce “XYZZY” by sneezing, so my brain latches onto the voiceless velar fricative lol.

6 Likes

My favourite response to this day:

>XYZZY
Gesundheit.
[Several games I can’t recall the titles of right now.]

12 Likes

I spell it out (ecks wie zee zee wie).

Better comparison: “exactly”.

Also (and I mean this in the best possible way), French is weird. “eeks ee-grek zed zed ee-grek”? I can see why you don’t want to spell it out.

3 Likes