How do you indicate major transitions?

I doubt it. Glulx Text Effects is a very thin layer over the Glulx style system. If an interpreter doesn’t work with that, it hasn’t implemented Glulx styles AFAIK.

2 Likes

Gargoyle added non-standard glk extensions to their garglk, and most modern Glk implementations have followed suit: the Glk implementation in Spatterlight, Windows-Glk (used in the Windows IDE), Chimara (used in the Linux IDE), Async Glk (used in Parchment and on iplayif.com). They are not in CocoaGlk (the Mac IDE and Zoom), Lectrote, or the official Glkote used by Quixe. git and glulxe themselves are neutral on the subject, and inherit the abilities of their glk library.

2 Likes

Jigsaw describes the transition (going into the portal or whatnot), waits for the player to press a key, then displays the heading of the new chapter and launches into the new room description. I’ve found this pretty satisfying.

2 Likes

I’m playing through Things that Happened in Houghtonbridge and I did like how it does screen wipes whenever I drove to a new location. I had to type in ENTER CAR, then choose a known location from a menu, and then there’d be a really brief line before it showed a little press enter to continue indicator, then it’d wipe to the new location.

Good because I’d know the transition was coming and I was initiating it with my actions, and the text right before the screen wipe was a single line. Only accepting ENTER meant it was harder to accidentally skip text, but maybe changing from ANY key to just ENTER would deviate from Inform conventions?

A visual divider would probably be fine too.

I agree with this, for the Absence of Law example.

4 Likes