How can we enable players to ask NPC's questions about their world?

Ah, okay, well — doesn’t bother me personally but I can understand where you’re coming from.

This was originally Ultima’s dialogue system. Starting in Ultima 4, I believe. Not sure how long they stuck to it.

3 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Exile was kind of a pile of “things the dev liked from previous CRPGs.”

From Ultima IV to VI.

Ultima VII switched to a clickable keyword menu

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

Recently, Jon Ingold had a great post related to the topic of NPC knowledge: Changeable Minds. Separating event tracking from… | by inkle | Jan, 2024 | Medium

4 Likes

very interesting article, notwhistanding the questionable blog platform (a very nosy one…): there’s interesting point to mull on…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

The game Archmage Rises is doing some interesting things in this regard.

You can ask NPCs about a range of topics like where other NPC’s or places are, or what they know about another NPC, and so on.

Worth checking out if you’re into this kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that link, Matt. I swear that game has been in development for a while. I was fascinated by it’s ambition. I remember when it was just one guy working on it.

1 Like

I guess I have been tracking it for about a year and finally decided to dive in. It’s certainly not a baked game but there’s enough there now to make it enjoyable to play. It shows a lot of promise. And, yes, the author now seems to have a small team around them. That’s promising.

2 Likes