Horror IF

Two days ago I heartily enjoyed ALIEN - caad.es/fichas/a%C2%B7l%C2%B … ntura.html.

It’s in Spanish. It succeeded in making me nervous and actually fearing for my PC’s life, by judicious use of:

• Good graphics
  • Good and effective sound effects
  • Really well designed realtime effects, like a proximity sensor in the status bar and the Xenoform moving in real-time
  • Some “unsafe” rooms
  • Sensible geography

And most important of all:

• A complete lack of jumpscares, coupled with you always having the chance to save yourself at the last minute.

Seriously. I know it’s in Spanish, so not everyone can enjoy it, but it’s well worth playing if you can. It’s not the full-on horror experience of Anchorhead, all alone, or possibly even Babel - but damn, it’s effective! And seriously well done.

That was probably just a braino but I’m amused no one noticed: The Warbler’s Nest is an Inform 7 game, not Twine.

And I also agree that it’s weird to see people call it horror, though I can sorta see why.

Were any IFComp 2015 games horror? Taghairm is the obvious candidate, but I suspect CMG would not consider it horror… I think a case could be made for The Sueño too. And possibly Capsule II?

Edit: And dur, Brain Guzzlers!!

Of course it’s horror!

Also, if I was the host of Ravenous Monsters Horror Webzine (which I’m not) and I interviewed Chandler Groover (which I didn’t, but the webzine did), and he said ‘Well, I don’t consider my game to be horror,’ (that’s not what he said) – I would have immediately screamed ‘GET OFF MY INTERNET’ and thrown Chandler Groover out of Ravenous Monsters Horror Webzine.

ravenousmonster.com/games-to … r-groover/

With The Sueno, it’s very much in Silent Hill-like territory in the second half, which easily qualifies it as horror. In the video store (RIP) it would be in thriller / horror.

• Wade

That made me laugh so hard :smiley:
(that was my interview btw)

I think you could make a case for Life on Mars? to be horror, of a kind, depending on how you interpret some things. Also Darkiss.

And of course the Ectocomp games, if that hasn’t been suggested yet.

Yeah, I certainly consider Taghairm to be horror.

Darkiss is horror but it’s not frightening. It’s very self-aware and over the top. Brain Guzzlers is a parody of B-movie horror (which is already a parody of itself).

I’d say Life on Mars? could be considered horror.

Heh. I have difficulties calling Darkiss horror, although all the trappings are certainly there. “Light Horror”, anyone? “Pulp Horror”? Garçon, we need new labels over here!