Hint Request: The Kuolema

I’m terribly stuck on the combination for the safe in cabin 3. I’ve spent quite a bit of time staring at the showers on deck 2 and the note on deck 3, but I can’t work out in what order the drains would be cleared based on the text or the image. It looks like maybe the drains on stalls 1 and 4 are slightly lower, but that could also be an optical illusion from the lighting. I’ve even tried brute-forcing the lock with permutations of 1234. I’m totally stuck. Can you help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

3 Likes

Seems like you’re missing a key clue – there’s a note that spells out the order in more detail; you don’t need to look at the image at all.

If that doesn’t help, increasing spoilerness:

The note is in a locker in the gym.

And if that isn’t getting you there:

The key is in Operations, with a label in the image showing you which locker number it goes to.

And here’s the last piece if you’re still missing that:

To find the key in Operations, you need to search for the whiteboard, which was a bolded word when you explored one of the cabins on Deck 2. If you’re not already writing down bolded terms when you come across them, definitely do that!

Finally, if you just want to skip the rigmarole and get the combo:

5 Likes

Thanks. It looks like I need to find a clue to the locker in the gym first. I didn’t know there was another part to this one.

3 Likes

Wow, okay. Apparently I had somehow completely missed how to make contact in the first place, and hadn’t solved ANY of the puzzles on Level 3 / Level 2 yet.

Anyway, on to Part 2 now.

3 Likes

There is also a full walkthrough in-game, broken down into pieces so you can look at only the part you’re stuck on, mostly. Under “FAQs & Info” from the start of the game…

But yeah, it’s mostly a “take notes and see which things you haven’t done yet” game: it’s helpful to make a list of rooms and check off which ones you’ve finished because you can pretty much always tell, I think? There’s one thing to find in each, usually. And a lot of them need a clue from another location that you’ll only find later.

3 Likes

It’s so nice to see people explaining things better than I could! :smiley:

Just shout if you get stuck again Greg. The only downside of providing a walkthrough is that I’m then less likely to hear about elements that aren’t clear enough. It’s tricky trying to find the perfect balance between ‘too signposted’ and ‘too obscure’ (and of course, that line is different for everyone). However, if you feel I’ve missed the mark anywhere (in either direction), please do let me know as I’m always happy to tweak if it improves the experience.

2 Likes

Well, that was upsetting - getting access to the captain’s laptop. I was really hoping there was going to be a solution involving transferring the fingerprint to the silver box.

I’m a bit puzzled. I played the original Google Forms version and I still have my rather detailed notes from that playthrough. I’m really enjoying this new Twine version, but a few things seem to be a little different even early on. In particular, I feel like I’ve searched and double-searched everywhere but cannot find the code for the security laptop. My notes have a code with no indication of how I got it before. I already know that I need to get into the laptop to get pointed to the whiteboard in the operations room, but the game won’t let me access the whiteboard without getting into the laptop. I have already made contact and gotten the list of components to find. I see above that there’s a walkthrough, but it doesn’t seem to be accessible from within the game. Which is probably just as well for those who like to solve with as little help as possible.

Also, I noticed that the image in the shower location seems to be broken. It’s not displaying for me, even though all the other images so far have been fine.

2 Likes

Hey there. Glad to here you’re enjoying the remake! You’re right, there are a few things that have changed with this version!

To access the walkthrough, just open the settings and click ‘Need Help?’ at the bottom. That will lead you to the walkthrough. You can also switch over to ‘Story’ mode - that makes things a little easier (you can always switch back again after you get past a particular puzzle).

From the sounds of it, it’s the iPad you need to get access to? You can find it in Cabin 4. Head in there and search the hidden drawer. If you’re in ‘Story’ mode, you also get to examine the back of the framed photo for more help with the iPad code. Once you’ve found the iPad, turn the screen off. Look carefully at the fingerprint marks on the screen, they line up with the numbers you can see when the screen is on. If you look carefully you can even see the direction the finger was moving from one number to the next. That should be enough to get the code!

Thanks for spotting the missing image - turns out it was a minor glitch that’s now been fixed. Thanks for spotting. Do let me know if you spot anything else!

1 Like