Hide a Door.

I dont think you can move a door from one room to another (which would be the easiest way to do it). But i want it to seem as if the door is completely gone.

A thing can be hidden. A thing is usually not hidden.

After opening grate:
	now the grate is hidden;
	say "you push the grate off to the side and it falls into a slot in the grate, making lots of noise, never to be seen again.".

this is all i have, but i want it to disappear from the description of the rooms it is between, i also dont want the player to be able to examine it.

While you can’t remove a door from play, you can move them around, and you can alter the map at runtime.

This seems to work (although I can’t guarantee this is a good way to do it).

The courtyard is a room. 
The void is a room.

The grate is a door. The grate is east of the courtyard and west of the cell.

The cell is a room. 

after opening the grate:
	say "you push the grate off to the side and it falls into a slot in the grate, making lots of noise, never to be seen again.";
	now nothing is mapped east of the courtyard;
	now the cell is mapped east of the courtyard;
	now the grate is in the void;

Possibly the simplest way to accomplish what you want would be to set the grate to scenery, to prevent its display in the room description, and disallow any action involving it with a simple check.

[code]Forest is a room.

The grate is a door, below Forest.

Maze is below Grate.

After opening grate:
now the grate is scenery;
say “you push the grate off to the side and it falls into a slot in the grate, making lots of noise, never to be seen again.”.

Instead of doing something with the open grate:
say “[The grate] vanished into the depths.”

Does the player mean doing something with the grate:
it is very unlikely.[/code]

Have you seen the extension by Andrew Owen called “Secret Doors”? It might do exactly what you want it to…

There is a slight bug that causes it to generate an error. Search RAIF for the thread

using secret doors causes errors

and you’ll find out how to fix.

I think this actually takes the door out of play until you change the property to “unhidden.”

Good luck!

–Richard