Hi, new author with a few questions. Postures and drinks.

I’m working with Inform 7 in windows. There are two things I’m currently fiddling with to learn the system.

I’m trying to get a bed to be something that can be sat, stood, or laid upon. I have Postures by Emily Short installed and included in the file I’m working on.

I’m also trying to make a glass of water that is a drinkable item, that when drank leaves the empty glass behind. There doesn’t seem to be any way to make an object drinkable, only edible. I have Liquid Handling by Al Golden installed and included.

This is the report produced by Inform 7 (build 6G60) on its most recent run through:
In Section 1 - The Concept in the extension Postures by Emily Short:
Problem. You wrote ‘The postures are seated, standing, and reclining’ : but this seems to say that a general description is something else, like saying that ‘a door is 20’.

In Section 4 - Sitting, Lying, and Standing On Commands in the extension Postures by Emily Short:
Problem. You wrote ‘Sitting on is an action applying to one thing’ : but that seems to be an action already existing, so it cannot be redefined now. If you would like to reconfigure an action in the standard set - for instance if you prefer ‘unlocking’ to apply to only one thing, not two - create a new action for what you need (‘keyless unlocking’, perhaps) and then change the grammar to use the new action rather than the old (‘Understand “unlock [something]” as keyless unlocking.’).
See the manual: 12.7 > New actions

Problem. You wrote ‘Lying on is an action applying to one thing’ : again, that seems to be an action already existing.

Problem. The sentence ‘The water is drinkable’ appears to say two things are the same - I am reading ‘water’ and ‘drinkable’ as two different things, and therefore it makes no sense to say that one is the other: it would be like saying that ‘St Peter is St Paul’. It would be all right if the second thing were the name of a kind, perhaps with properties: for instance ‘Pearly Gates is a lighted room’ says that something called Pearly Gates exists and that it is a ‘room’, which is a kind I know about, combined with a property called ‘lighted’ which I also know about.

Many thanks for any advice.

This problem:

is because both Postures and Supplemental Actions (on which Liquid Handling depends) defines a sitting on action. You need to comment the line ‘Sitting on is an action applying to one thing.’ out from one the extensions.
You may also get problems with the commands LIE/SIT/STAND IN/ON, since both extensions (Postures and Supplemental Actions) redefine them, each in its way. I think the easiest way to handle that is to include Postures after Liquid Handling (which invokes Supplemental Actions) to make the Postures definitions take precedence – otherwise try ‘Part - (in place of Part 32 - Positions (Sitting, Standing, Lieing) in Supplemental Actions by Al Golden)’ at the end of your code (that might actually be a good idea, since it will also take care of the original problem with two definitions for sitting on without your having to hack any of the extensions).

Well, that seems to have helped with the conflict between the two extensions, but I’m still having problems with them by themselves. I appreciate the help.

This is the report produced by Inform 7 (build 6G60) on its most recent run through:

In Part 20 - Folding/Unfolding (new) in the extension Supplemental Actions by Al Golden:
Problem. You wrote ‘report unfolding something’ : but I can’t find a verb that I know how to deal with, so can’t do anything with this sentence. It looks as if it might be a rule definition, but if so then it is lacking the necessary colon (or comma). The punctuation style for rules is ‘Rule conditions: do this; do that; do some more.’ Perhaps you used a full stop instead of the colon?
See the manual: 18.3 > New rules

Problem. You wrote ‘say “You can’t unfold [the noun].”’ : but I can’t find a verb here that I know how to deal with, so I am ignoring this sentence altogether.
See the manual: 2.17 > Review of Chapter 2: The Source Text

Problem. In ‘a liquid is either safe or poisonous’ , you proposed the new either/or property ‘poisonous’: but this is not the same negation as the last time this either/or property was used.
See the manual: 4.7 > New either/or properties

In Section 1 - The Concept in the extension Postures by Emily Short:
Problem. You wrote ‘The postures are seated, standing, and reclining’ : but this seems to say that a general description is something else, like saying that ‘a door is 20’.

In Section 4 - Sitting, Lying, and Standing On Commands in the extension Postures by Emily Short:
Problem. You wrote ‘Sitting on is an action applying to one thing’ : but that seems to be an action already existing, so it cannot be redefined now. If you would like to reconfigure an action in the standard set - for instance if you prefer ‘unlocking’ to apply to only one thing, not two - create a new action for what you need (‘keyless unlocking’, perhaps) and then change the grammar to use the new action rather than the old (‘Understand “unlock [something]” as keyless unlocking.’).
See the manual: 12.7 > New actions

Problem. You wrote ‘Lying on is an action applying to one thing’ : again, that seems to be an action already existing.

Problem. The sentence ‘The water is a type of liquid’ appears to say two things are the same - I am reading ‘water’ and ‘type of liquid’ as two different things, and therefore it makes no sense to say that one is the other: it would be like saying that ‘John is Paul’. It would be all right if the second thing were the name of a kind, perhaps with properties: for instance ‘Abbey Road is a lighted room’ says that something called Abbey Road exists and that it is a ‘room’, which is a kind I know about, combined with a property called ‘lighted’ which I also know about.

Edit: Ok, so I seem to have solved the folding/unfolding error by fixing a misplaced space in the Supplemental Actions extension. Still can’t for the life of me figure out what’s up with the Safe/Poisonous thing.

Supplemental Actions contains the lines

They mess things up. The property ‘safe’ in Liquid Handling should be renamed ‘non-poisonous’, and the line ‘a liquid is either safe or poisonous.’ from Liquid Handling should be deleted.
You can possibly make do with commenting out the line ‘a liquid is either safe or poisonous.’ from Liquid Handling and adding this to your source code:

Definition: a liquid is safe if it is non-poisonous.

Thanks!