Help with this poll please :)

I want to play some parser games that are set in a UK rural environment, with mansions to explore and villages and countryside. Something in the lines (as setting) of the Hound of the Baskervilles or anything similar. It can be mystery, thriller, plain adventure or whatever (probably not in the magic tropes, tho). Can be modern or 8bit, as long at it is parser. Anyone able to help me?

https://ifdb.org/poll?id=2m22a2whu4jd70sa

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

There was a recent very long Adventuron parser game that is non-magical for an hour or so and then magical after. It has a very detailed manor, village, random cottages, ruins, etc. Would that be interesting?

I’ve been adding non-magical games to the list.

4 Likes

I think you might enjoy ‘The Faeries of Haelstowne’ by @ChristopherMerriner. It ticks all the boxes, although there is a hint of magic in the mystery. It’s quite a large game written in Adventuron (no graphics, apart from the title screen), so you can play it in your browser.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I was distracted while composing my post. I think this is the game that @mathbrush is referring to.

8 Likes

Great!

I’m checking them now!

This sort of setting was the métier of Geoff H. Larsen, an author of 8bit games for the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron. Most of his games had a village setting and dealt with English folklore, so there was usually a magical element. Hex deals with witchcraft and Cornish smugglers, The Nine Dancers features standing stones and megalithic monuments. Wychwood is set in an old manor house.

The Faeries of Haelstowne is excellent and reminded me strongly of Larsen’s work, but with more polish and a modern parser.

7 Likes

Gosh they sound fun! Thanks for the heads up :smile:

1 Like

If anyone fancies just watching a play through of any of these - especially those that may be trickier to get in playable form - here are some videos from Highretrogamelord on YouTube:

Hex

The Nine Dancers

Wychwood

4 Likes

Or you can play them for free here: jsbeeb - Javascript BBC Micro emulator

(Top of the screen to select DISCS/ and then find an honorable amount of games)

4 Likes

I reckon you’ll enjoy “Beneath Fenwick” by Captain Sensible, which will be in this year’s IF Comp. I did :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could also try the classic The Beast of Torrack Moor - no mansion, but a cosy rural English village and a mystery plot with some similarities to Hound of the Baskervilles. The original was a PAWed Spectrum game but there is an authorised Adventuron port and it’s even been done in Inform. It’s more detailed and immersive than most games of the era; it was certainly an influence on The Faeries of Haelstowne.

5 Likes

Birmingham IV by Peter Emery is set in a medieval Birmingham in the MIdlands, UK and is a good old fashioned puzzle fest.

To state the obvious, the brilliant Curses is set in the rural UK in 1993.

Xeno by Jonathan Mestel is a very interesting and very hard game from the Phoenix Stable involving travel through Blighty.

Although not set in the UK as such, many of the games of Larry Horsfield feature travel between different villages (Fortress Of Fear, Fist Of Fire, Axe Of Kolt.) These were originally written for the Spectrum but have been much expanded using ADRIFT. The games tend to entail lots of NPC interaction and manipulation of devices.

1 Like

Three more good choices would be the largely forgotten Daemon Quest trilogy of DOS games by Steve Blanding from 1989 - 1990. These involve lots of travel between villages containing many inns and shady characters. The linear story covers all three games and involves a young orphan investigating the death of his parents while dodging the same assassins who are after him as well. They are all playable via DosBox and downloadable from archive.org e.g.
https://archive.org/details/DaemonQuestTheFirstSagaTheLegendOfTheDoorSW1989SteveBlandingAdventure

1 Like