Help with Tables

Tables are a newer piece of information that I’ve learned, and I’m still adjusting to using them. In my attempt to make a small test of my table-making skills, I became confused in how to use tables with actions. Here I’ve tried to make an action to change a TV to a program, and then use a list of programs in a table to check whether the program is viable to change to or not. Here’s some of the source code: [code]Changing it to is an action applying to two things.
Understand “Change [television] to [program]” as changing it to.
Check changing it to:
if the noun is not the television:
say “That’s not the television.”;
stop the action;
if the program is not listed in the Table of Television Programs:
say “You flip through the channels, searching for something that appears not to be there”;
stop the action.
Carry out changing it to:
say “[mindless description entry]”

Table of Television Programs
Program Mindless description
“Hunting” “Mindless animals being hunted down by men with rifles appear on the screen”
“Baseball” “Ah, the iconic battle between the Red Sox and the Yankees. Oh yes, you just
remembered that you hate baseball”

[/code]
As I’m still new to this, I was wondering whether my fellow Inform 7 users could help me with this issue.

you should have used

if the program is not an action listed in the Table of Television Programs:

To decide whether (a value ) is a (name of a column) listed in (a tablle). Always
You don’t have to use this with lists though, as they contain only one kind of… kind

What exactly do you mean? Could you use it in the source text for me?

I’m not really sure whether “…an action listed…” works (and sorry for the mistake, i’m probzably high). The right syntax is to use the table column (= the name of the column).

Nope, doesn’t appear to work…

Again, can anyone help me? I know that there are plenty of users with a lot of experience using tables, so can you help? I’ve attempted to revise this a little, though I think I may have just made this worse…:[code]The Living Room is a room. “You lay back on your plush black sofa and watch your favorite television programs.” The sofa is in The Living Room. The television is a device in The Living Room. The television is switched on. The player is on the sofa.

Changing it to is an action applying to one thing and one topic.
Understand “Change [television] to [topic]” as changing it to.
if the second noun corresponds to a program listed in The Table of Television Programs:
say “[mindless description entry]”;
otherwise:
say “You flip through the channels searching for it, but you can’t find it”;
stop the action.

Program Mindless description
“Hunting” “Mindless animals being hunted down by men with rifles appear on the screen”
“Baseball” “Ah, the iconic battle between the Red Sox and the Yankees. Oh yes, you just
remembered that you hate baseball”[/code]

That’s almost there, the wording is just a little off. There is no “second noun” in the changing it to action, the second token is a “topic understood”. You can also use a special “Topic” header in the table (see manual ch. 15.13.)

[code]
The living room is a room.
The television is in the living room.

Changing it to is an action applying to one thing and one topic.
Understand “change [something] to [text]” as changing it to.

Check changing it to:
if the noun is not the television:
say “That’s not the television.” instead;
if the topic understood is not a topic listed in the Table of Television Programs:
say “You flip through the channels searching for it, but you can’t find it.” instead.

if the topic understood is a topic listed in the Table of Television Programs:
say “[mindless description entry]”.

Topic Mindless description
remembered that you hate baseball”[/code]

Oh!

Thank you for your help!