Hello

Hi everyone

I have been dipping in and out of this site for nearly a year now but I have never introduced yelf.

My name is Dave, I am 26 years old and originally from Wales but I live in Norway now.

I am fairly new to IF but I have played 3 or 4 games this year and have reviewed them on IFDB.

I plan to increase the amount IF I play, I have fallen in love with it. Who knows, I may even write one someday, I have enough stories in my head.

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome, and for your inspiration!

Croeso Octofuzz! You decided that Wales wasn’t cold and wet enough for your tastes so you upped sticks, I can understand.

You should definitely try your hand at writing IF- maybe write something for a speed-if challenge some time?

I’ll second that! The ultimate not numbered New Year’s Speed IF is up and running at the moment! You might want to give that a go.

Impressed by the Welsh there Joey! Dda Iawn! I moved here to try something new whilst was young enough and mad enough lol.

I might give some speedy IF writing a go. I have no experience as of yet using development tools like Inform. What ‘tools’ would you recommend I use to write a game, and how long do you think it would take me to get the basics of it?

Thank you for your advice everyone!

What tool to use depends very much on your tastes. I used to study logic and I learned a bit of Pascal way back, so I was able to jump into using a programming language without too great a trouble. I started by helping out with a friend’s project, and as he was using Inform 7 that’s the one I learned. But if you’d rather use a GUI, then there are systems like Adrift and Quest which perhaps offer a less steep learning curve than Inform or TADS (though, with the documentation and ready help on the forum, most beginner problems can quickly be solved with these more popular systems).

If you wanted to jump in and make something over a weekend and you like non-parser based IF as well, then Inkle is very easy to get to grips with and looks very elegant. I can’t speak for the ease of use of Varytale, but I’ve played some very fine games made in it. I really like how Undum looks, and there’s a lot of potential in the RPG-like ChoiceScript, but both require some Java know-how to really get the most out of them.

The Ultimate Not Numbered New Year’s Speed IF does present a good opportunity, especially if you gave Inform 7 a shot: it’s a very loose, anything goes, mini-comp but what a lot of people this year are doing is adapting examples from the Inform 7 documentation. If you got involved, the bare bones of the game you’d make would already be written. My trouble is I’m often over-ambitious and I run out of time to do things, but if you set yourself a manageable goal then you could be quite pleased with the result.

Just to clarify, Undum uses Javascript not Java (a big difference!). Check out an example of ChoiceScript here: choiceofgames.com/make-your- … ipt-intro/

Yeah, I of course meant Javascript! (Why can’t everything be called something completely different from everything else?).

Marketing is usually to blame!

Fantastic ideas!

I will definitely give Inkle a go and redownload Inform.

I will let my imagination run wild in the run up to Christmas!

Thank you all very very much for giving my some direction to ‘get the ball rolling’.

Also, at times, and for some things, a good reason might be that they are incompletely different from something else (such as each other).