Among the Seasons , by Kieran Green - Twine
freeee eee as a biiirrrrd
- Feels a bit like a ChoiceScript - you choose how something happens instead of what happens.
- I like the perspective descriptions - like “mass of metal” for a car, but I wish this had gone further and was perhaps a bit weirder and more obtuse so the reader had to guess what they were experiencing. Concepts like “tools” and especially “a window” would seem to be more daunting mysterious concepts as experienced by a bird. This magpie knows what a “murder of crows” and “adrenaline” are…
- I’m not a huge fan of reliance on
...as a choice for “next/turn the page”. I don’t know if it’s better to put “continue” or highlight the last word of the text. I’m probably used to it as a Visual Novel/anime convention for hesitation or not knowing what to say.
- (Is “scarper” a magpie/avian term I don’t know, or a typo for “scatter”?)
- Oo! I get to name a noun! I guess my magpie knows what a paper clip is.
- Aw, I found a friend. I wonder if we’ll mate.
Darkness, by Jeff Schomay - Elm Narrative Engine
tw-huh-hus bliiind...um blind...(scroll scroll scroll)
- Mmn. Blurry text.
- Oh! it fades out as I go. (Style points) I kind of like that I can re-click links to do different things…
- But as the story continues, I’m scrolling a longer distance.
- And…oh. I’m collecting an inventory of links Cool! …But I have to scroll to the top for it to drop down. Hmn. Nope…I scroll up a little and it drops, but if I hit the top it vanishes again. Seems there must be a better way to do this.
- Ah, okay, the screen clears with a new scene.
- I am all about these re-usable links…but I hate fighting the upper bar and wish it would stay onscreen.
- I wish I could click on a repeat of the same word in the text instead of fighting the bar to use one in the list again.
- I can’t not think of George Jefferson shouting “WHEEZY!” all the time. I’m old.
- Mph. I died. I love the mechanics of this, and I like a horizontal bar of links to collect, but I felt like I was fighting the interface instead of playing the story.
- Oh wait, I didn’t die, I just had to click the same link again…
- I liked this, I just wish I didn’t spend so long fighting the interface.
Quiet , by Martyna “Lisza” Wasiluk - Twine
?? !! XD
- Ooh! An emoji game! I know this has been tried, but this is the length of an entire conversation.
- I am not sure about the choices I’m making…
- Oh, that’s the joke, my friend also agrees.
- This puts me in mind of 10pm by litrouke where you constructed symbol sentences.
- Great dialogue. It’s pretty funny also. I like this.
- I’m starting to get a general feel for what repeated emojis mean. I’m communicating by facial expressions which is the dream of NPC interaction
to be continued…