Habits and typos when playing

Yes, this is Story Research… I want to know, what are some typos and mistakes you regularly make in parser games? Whether that’s by phone or on computer, etc., what do you do often?
(Eg. I often will write ‘gte’ instead of ‘get’. It’s very annoying.)

4 Likes

Since most verbs I use can be reduced to 1-3 letters, most of my typos are on nouns, which means there aren’t many consistent ones I’m afraid.

5 Likes

Missing spaces.

> xrocks

Instead of

> x rocks

6 Likes

That’s a good one! Missing spaces are evil.

4 Likes

>TKAE TYPO
That is not a verb I recognise.
>TAKE TYPO
Taken.
>TYPO
Huh?
>XTYPO
Again, huh?
>AAARGH! EXAMINE TYPO
Surely that one was on purpose, right?
>X TYPO
It’s embarrasing. Are you recording a transcript?
>LCIK TYPO
That is not a verb I recognise. (Although I think I see where you’re going with this…)
>LICK TYPO
The bitter taste of humiliation.
>DORP TYPO
No, I’m not going to “dorp” the typo. It will stay with you forever, reminding you of your human shame and weakness and fallibility.
>DROP TYPO
See the response above. Way ahead of you.
>AUIT
You’re playing in DOSBox. Your AZERTY means nothing here.
Also, you cannot run away from your linguistic transgressions that easily…

>QUIT
Are you sure you want to quit the game? y/n
>Y

12 Likes

SeedComp! idea. If you don’t call dibs, I surely will.

3 Likes

Go for it!

EDIT: Sprouting round is over, so I can’t officially upload it to the list of seeds. I guess you’ll have to combine the “Condescending Parser”-idea with an official seed to be eligible. (Or strike a deal with the organisers.)

4 Likes

The most regular typos I make are flipping letters (accidentally getting two adjacent letters mixed up) and typing in too many/too few of a particular letter. These are sufficiently general issues that I don’t appear to associate them with any specific word.

The most common specific one, apparently, is describing typos as “typoes”.

4 Likes

the most annoying typo for every IF player: Q and W. this is why QUIT must always ask for confirmation…

second most annoying, W and E. a guaranteed way to screw map traversal.

on coding typo, for TadsCoders (and CamelCase library calling in general), the main annoyance is a physiological one, namely, that the pinky finger is the slower of the five, ending in Camelcase or camelCase typos.

of course, in the case of the right pinky, hovering above between right shift and return, the possibility of a Camel
ase is rather high… and, literally on the left side, woe to who codes an altQuit, lest finding with an alt[tab]quit…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

TAKE KINFE

You can’t see any such thing.

Grumbles angrily at author because it clearly says there’s a knife and this author sucks because they didn’t implement it and that knife is probably important so this game is unplayable and I’m going to rage quit…

or, oops, maybe I misspelled it.

8 Likes

@AmandaB In fact, this is not only relatable but perfectly suitable for the game I’m doing research for.

@Alianora_La_Canta This is definitely true, and I will likely go to vitally unreasinable lengths to implement this, including implementing the closeness of letters to each other on the QWERTY keyboard and having random choices with accumulative percentages to tell whether W is as likely to press as E, etc. etc. Ad infinitum… (Which also marks my first usage of Latin in a context that actually makes sense) :joy:

On that, I’ve already implemented a relationship score for the narrator which, with your choices, changes how your narrator speaks and implemented responses that will likely never reach the confused eyes of viewers that are wondering why the heck the narrator is so angry at them for seemingly no reason.

5 Likes

This happens to me so incredibly often. :sweat:

2 Likes

Writing ls when I enter a room. And, occasionally, just writing l into a command prompt after changing a directory.

6 Likes

happens often also to me; i’m tempted of adding ls and dir to look’s synonyms in my WIP :blush:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio

4 Likes

Funny, in Never Gives Up Her Dead I got @mathbrush to add synonyms for the two samples with letters in the top row replacing numbers (eg. rb instead of 4b), because it takes a long time to type numbers in Fabularium, and on a QWERTY keyboard ‘r’ is what you have to hold down to get ‘4’. That’s how lazy I am :rofl:

1 Like

It once took me ages to track down a “bug” when I was collaborating with another (even older) old school adventure writer on a game. He kept telling me I hadn’t included certain responses to EXAMINE messages… it took me ages to realise he was so used to a strict four letter parser, that rather than typing X or EXAMINE, he was typing EXAM… the parser system we were using truncated to five letters (it would be okay with EXAMI), rather then four, and I hadn’t put in synonyms for just four letters of a verb.

4 Likes